Indiana Science Olympiad

sciolyandmathcounts
Division: B
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Indiana Science Olympiad

Post by sciolyandmathcounts »

I really think there might have been a grading error for Road Scholar. Maybe there were huge tiebrakers and we got really unlucky. For Compute This, the links were epic hard to find. Can't Judge A Powder was easy though and there was only one question we didn't have in our observations.

For nationals my goal would probably be to try to medal in 1 event(most likely Can't Judge A Powder, since we got gold at states).

Also, does anyone have the scoresheet for all the teams? I had to stay overnight after the competition, so I only got to see the scoresheet once.
WWMS 2010-2011!
Events:
Microbe Mission
Shock Value
Experimental Design
???????????
sciolyandmathcounts

I just realized something else: Our overall score of our rankings added up was 19 worse than last year when we didn't qualify for nationals. It's sorta weird.
WWMS 2010-2011!
Events:
Microbe Mission
Shock Value
Experimental Design
???????????
Friedoyster3
Division: C

Post by Friedoyster3 »

sciolyandmathcounts wrote:I really think there might have been a grading error for Road Scholar. Maybe there were huge tiebrakers and we got really unlucky. For Compute This, the links were epic hard to find. Can't Judge A Powder was easy though and there was only one question we didn't have in our observations.

For nationals my goal would probably be to try to medal in 1 event(most likely Can't Judge A Powder, since we got gold at states).

Also, does anyone have the scoresheet for all the teams? I had to stay overnight after the competition, so I only got to see the scoresheet once.
actually there was a conflict between can't judge and WIDI for "your partner" but i think he'll choose can't judge
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
ktrujillo52
Division: Grad

Post by ktrujillo52 »

@peoneill

lol that test was really long...so my partner and I decided to split up the test. I honestly didn't even look at the packet. I did study the Endocrine system a lot because I thought it would be important at State. But when it came down to it I had to choose between doing the Endocrine Packet or the stations. Since my partner is better at the Endocrine system than the other two I let him do the packet.

Sounds like the packet was difficult. The stations weren't too bad though. I got stumped on some questions though.
emd19
State: PA

Post by emd19 »

I just found out that in Indiana, all B teams can bring binders. This is on the Indiana Sc.Olypd. website.Why isn't this happening in PA. It would really help for ornithology and other events. You Indiana People are so lucky.
2009:NW PA
3rd in regionals Fossils
2nd Regionals pentathlon
2010: NW PA
1st Fossils
1st Road Scholar
3rd Ornithology
2010: PA States
2nd Road Scholar
5th Fossils
2011: NW PA regionals
1st in Fossils, Road Scholar, Experimental Design,Ecology and Dynamic Planet
E Edgar

Post by E Edgar »

emd19 wrote:I just found out that in Indiana, all B teams can bring binders. This is on the Indiana Sc.Olypd. website.Why isn't this happening in PA. It would really help for ornithology and other events. You Indiana People are so lucky.
Well, it's a double-edged sword. It makes people less prepared for nationals where a binder isn't allowed and it leads to confusion at competitions when people who haven't read the rules complain.
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
cassie_alderink
State: MI

Post by cassie_alderink »

[quote="Uncle Fester"]And Uncle Fester too. :)[/quote]
um.how bout not. you didnt even compete. you are in charge
of JYC......and do a nice job as well. HA
sciolyandmathcounts

Binders are only really necessary for Ornithology and Fossils. Other than that, it's kind of unfair.
WWMS 2010-2011!
Events:
Microbe Mission
Shock Value
Experimental Design
???????????
E Edgar

Post by E Edgar »

sciolyandmathcounts wrote:Binders are only really necessary for Ornithology and Fossils. Other than that, it's kind of unfair.
Don't forget Astronomy...
My 2010 National Results
Astronomy: 2nd
Physics Lab: 2nd
Technical Problem Solving: 6th
Fossils: 8th
peoneill

Post by peoneill »

Wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day they had to compete in Amphibians and Reptiles and Rocks and Minerals (very similar to Ornithology/Fossils) without ANY resources. I think that was cooler. My friend Muchu who is a PhD student in animal behavior/ecology now give give seemingly hundreds of details on EVERY species (he was 1st in state both years it was an event and won a medal at nationals). I think they did get a binder for Rocks and Minerals starting my junior year maybe... We always used to get a binder for ROAD SCHOLAR - which was the dumbest thing ever. My partner and I would just go in without any notes and we won state a couple of times. I mean, I don't even know what on Earth people HAD in those binders, you know? We saw teams with binders. Some of the other strong teams had TONS of resources (it was totally unlimited). I'm glad they dumped that event from C div even if it was one of my own.

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”