Michigan 2010

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Michigan 2010

Post by winneratlife »

jander14indoor wrote:That was an illustrative example. Simple math for my simple mind.

From the MI state website, there are 240 Div C teams registered this year, not sure how many there were on the date we set the invites. So your numbers become approx: 48*25/240=5. All I can guess is you actually had 29 teams (region 6?? and some didn't show??) registered for 48*29/240=5.8 rounding to 6.

Or wait, I need to take out the alternates since they can't go to state tournament and we don't charge them a state fee. That would reduce the C divisor to 212, put you in region 12 for 48*25/212=5.7 again rounding to 6 invites. That's probably the right set of numbers give or take a few. If you had 50 div B teams, with 48*50/237=10 invites in your region, definitely region 12.

All numbers from the MSO website for membership, but that's current data, not memberships as of the day we set the invites. Not far off though. And trust me the actual math is scrutinized VERY closely. All 20 plus executive board members and the 15 regions check it before its finalized.

I've got the file somewhere, too lazy to dig it up (its on my other 'puter three whole feet away), just wanted to show how the numbers were derived.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
So basically 1/5 of any given region's teams go to state...

So basically packerbacker's region has 5 teams...and bogoradwee's has 10...?
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

jander14indoor wrote:That was an illustrative example. Simple math for my simple mind.

From the MI state website, there are 240 Div C teams registered this year, not sure how many there were on the date we set the invites. So your numbers become approx: 48*25/240=5. All I can guess is you actually had 29 teams (region 6?? and some didn't show??) registered for 48*29/240=5.8 rounding to 6.

Or wait, I need to take out the alternates since they can't go to state tournament and we don't charge them a state fee. That would reduce the C divisor to 212, put you in region 12 for 48*25/212=5.7 again rounding to 6 invites. That's probably the right set of numbers give or take a few. If you had 50 div B teams, with 48*50/237=10 invites in your region, definitely region 12.

All numbers from the MSO website for membership, but that's current data, not memberships as of the day we set the invites. Not far off though. And trust me the actual math is scrutinized VERY closely. All 20 plus executive board members and the 15 regions check it before its finalized.

I've got the file somewhere, too lazy to dig it up (its on my other 'puter three whole feet away), just wanted to show how the numbers were derived.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I'm in Region 12 actually... We had exactly 25 teams, no alternate teams, so if we got 6 state slots, there must have been some extra factor, or the state total could be off a bit.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

winneratlife wrote: So basically 1/5 of any given region's teams go to state...
No, its 48/Total Paid Teams in your Divison. Just happens to be around 1/4th this year for Div C, 1/5th for Div B.
JustDroobles wrote: Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I'm in Region 12 actually... We had exactly 25 teams, no alternate teams, so if we got 6 state slots, there must have been some extra factor, or the state total could be off a bit.
No extra factor, 5.7 rounds to 6 invites.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
packer-backer91

Post by packer-backer91 »

jander14indoor wrote:
No, its 48/Total Paid Teams in your Divison. Just happens to be around 1/4th this year for Div C, 1/5th for Div B.
JustDroobles wrote: Thanks, that makes a lot more sense. I'm in Region 12 actually... We had exactly 25 teams, no alternate teams, so if we got 6 state slots, there must have been some extra factor, or the state total could be off a bit.
No extra factor, 5.7 rounds to 6 invites.

This equation does not always hold true for my Region [3] the number of invites get's round down, yes my region only has 7 teams but we still get a value of 1.58 thus should be rounded up to 2? yet we only send one team. I don’t know why but to me it's really unfair to the rest of the schools of this region, my school has won convincingly the last 9 or 10 years in a row, I wish another team could get to experience Science Olympiad at the State level too.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

packer-backer91 wrote: This equation does not always hold true for my Region [3] the number of invites get's round down, yes my region only has 7 teams but we still get a value of 1.58 thus should be rounded up to 2? yet we only send one team. I don’t know why but to me it's really unfair to the rest of the schools of this region, my school has won convincingly the last 9 or 10 years in a row, I wish another team could get to experience Science Olympiad at the State level too.
Wow thats weird...there were 7 teams in my region in illinois this year, 3 teams went to state...we killed all the other teams but still...
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

jander14indoor wrote:
Yeah, I meant this year...
packer-backer91 wrote:
jander14indoor wrote:
packer-backer91 wrote: This equation does not always hold true for my Region [3] the number of invites get's round down, yes my region only has 7 teams but we still get a value of 1.58 thus should be rounded up to 2? yet we only send one team. I don’t know why but to me it's really unfair to the rest of the schools of this region, my school has won convincingly the last 9 or 10 years in a row, I wish another team could get to experience Science Olympiad at the State level too.
Uh...7/5=1.4 which is rounded to 1
lllazar wrote:Wow thats weird...there were 7 teams in my region in illinois this year, 3 teams went to state...we killed all the other teams but still...
You're from Illinois...they run things differently over there. I'm probably gonna guess it's based on past state performance or something.
packer-backer91

lllazar wrote:Wow thats weird...there were 7 teams in my region in illinois this year, 3 teams went to state...we killed all the other teams but still...
This is the best reason I cam give you is because our State has almost double the teams as in Illinois, It becomes more difficult to split up the number of State invites. 90% of the teams in our State do not get to go to state.
packer-backer91

with sate only a few short weeks away who does everyone think will the top two to go on to represent our state?
winneratlife

Post by winneratlife »

packer-backer91 wrote:with sate only a few short weeks away who does everyone think will the top two to go on to represent our state?
Grand Haven, Troy...

Not really much of a question in my mind.
packer-backer91

winneratlife wrote:
packer-backer91 wrote:with sate only a few short weeks away who does everyone think will the top two to go on to represent our state?
Grand Haven, Troy...

Not really much of a question in my mind.

Grand Haven for sure but I still think that WOSO and Troy will be close for second place, I don’t know who will actually get it but either one of them will do well at Nationals. I still hope my team will do a lot better than last year [we had too many event that bombed out bad with 40's]

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”