Illinois 2010

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2010

Post by fleet130 »

According to the Scoring Guidelines, you would have received a score of 62 points for the event and you or your coach should have been notified. There is no way to know if you received a scoring penalty as that would be reflected only in your raw score, which is not usually published.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
melody2k6
Division: B

Post by melody2k6 »

So, are you saying that we would never know if we got penalized for an event?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

A scoring penalty is basically the same as missing a question on a written test. The rules define what is allowed (the question) and if you don't follow them (an incorrect answer), you receive a penalty (you lose the points for the question). In many cases you may be informed of a scoring penalty, but not always. Under the Scoring Guidelines, you should ALWAYS be informed if you are disqualified.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
melody2k6
Division: B

Post by melody2k6 »

fleet130 wrote:A scoring penalty is basically the same as missing a question on a written test. The rules define what is allowed (the question) and if you don't follow them (an incorrect answer), you receive a penalty (you lose the points for the question). In many cases you may be informed of a scoring penalty, but not always. Under the Scoring Guidelines, you should ALWAYS be informed if you are disqualified.
What I mean is that if we received partial disqualification for an event (i.e. removing goggles for two seconds for one of the lab events, would the coaches be informed?
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL

Post by lllazar »

melody2k6 wrote:
fleet130 wrote:A scoring penalty is basically the same as missing a question on a written test. The rules define what is allowed (the question) and if you don't follow them (an incorrect answer), you receive a penalty (you lose the points for the question). In many cases you may be informed of a scoring penalty, but not always. Under the Scoring Guidelines, you should ALWAYS be informed if you are disqualified.
What I mean is that if we received partial disqualification for an event (i.e. removing goggles for two seconds for one of the lab events, would the coaches be informed?
I think all the coaches get score sheets for all their events. They REALLY should...
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

melody2k6 wrote:
Disqualification is binary you are either 1 or 0, either you are disqualified or you are not. There is no partial disqualification.

If you got disqualified from an event the Event Supervisor should have notified you on the spot.

Also as stated above, the scoresheets would reflect this disqualification so you could easily double check to see if you were disqualified or not.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Using proper eye protection is one of those special cases that fall under SAFETY. Safety is paramount! Once a safety requirement has been identified, an event supervisor has no choice but to disqualify those who fail to comply. Partial penalties are not permitted! Supervisors would be accepting responsibility for any injury that might occur if they allowed a team to continue without meeting the requirement.

Note: In past years there have been penalties written in the rules for cases when teams needed to be reminded to follow specifically identified safety requirements. They would have been disqualified if they did not comply.

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”