Wisconsin 2010

r00ki316
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wisconsin 2010

Post by r00ki316 »

The wind blew anything from their course, especially with the free-fitting nosecones this year, so no rocket reached 100' I believe. I witnessed only 1 or 2 that even broke 50'.
Location is a problem for better teams in better conditions (but not this year), as when I competed, my 1L rocket got stuck on top of Engineering Hall (>80' high).
All I can say is expect the team going to Nationals to get better than 1min. They got 40+s on the only launches where the parachute opened and didn't get stuck in a tree. If they work things out, 2 minutes isn't impossible.
vofbassist
Division: Grad
State: WI

Post by vofbassist »

starpug wrote:
vofbassist wrote:Yeah. Because of where they were launching, if your egg capsule went high enough, your egg would break, regardless of whether your parachute deployed or not.
Care to elaborate?
From what I've been told, or what I think I've been told, there was also a downdraft in between the buildings so if it went above them, the parachute would cause the egg carriage to get sucked down and break the egg. I'm not 100% sure on this since I didn't watch any of them. My brother, who took second in the event, said he had no problem with his but he only watched one other and that only lasted two seconds. Again, I'm not possitive about this because I was tired from being put into a minor trance by my clock in It's About Time, but I thought one of my team mates or a chaparone told me that...
bubblebrian
Division: B
State: WI

Post by bubblebrian »

hamilton won!
Wisconsin Hamilton MS!!!
Regionals- first on BP, DD, weather

State-
Bio-process- Sixth