Tennessee 2010

User avatar
fmtiger124
Member
Member
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby fmtiger124 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 am

mrcadman wrote:
fmtiger124 wrote:Based on this sentence
You see, at Bearden, we not only teach Science, we also teach the kids how to think, the value of hard work and dedication, the value of responsibility and accountability, along with respect, fairplay and good sportsmanship.

I'd say hes a coach or teacher at Bearden


:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think he was referring to the previous poster Always Wright.

oh lol.....that would make more sense wouldn't it ;) :lol:
Image

orangedragon
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:07 am
Division: C
State: TN
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby orangedragon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:16 am

Quick comment/observation.

Obviously Bearden Middle has been dominant in the B division for a long time in Tennessee, and I believe it is because of their coaches and hard work. However, what happens to the students when they get to high school? Bearden High seems to do pretty poorly at regionals. I think a few kids go to Oak Ridge, but don't the majority go to Bearden High? Even if the middle school coaches don't help the high schoolers, I think the fact that the students have experience and know how to study/build would at least make them more competitive at tournaments. Any comments?

User avatar
fmtiger124
Member
Member
Posts: 480
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby fmtiger124 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 am

Although I think most states would love to see differences in the standings for once instead of the same continual thing (for example at B division regionals for NY Mid-State, Eagle Hill and Wellwood continually go 1,2--on at a rest stop on the way home from states some of us from Wellwood ran into a parent who had a kid on another team from regionals and she said it was quite hard to listen to the same schools continually cheering for winning medals) so obviously it would be nice for other people to experience the same joy that the winning schools continually do. However, the only way to do this is have the other teams step it up it's not like one team is going to drop off simply because they win too much and they deserve to win if they work that hard. Basically people instead of complaining about how you never get 1st and the same team wins every year, try working as hard as those teams maybe you can pull an upset.
Image

User avatar
mrcadman
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby mrcadman » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:05 am

orangedragon wrote:Quick comment/observation.

Obviously Bearden Middle has been dominant in the B division for a long time in Tennessee, and I believe it is because of their coaches and hard work. However, what happens to the students when they get to high school? Bearden High seems to do pretty poorly at regionals. I think a few kids go to Oak Ridge, but don't the majority go to Bearden High? Even if the middle school coaches don't help the high schoolers, I think the fact that the students have experience and know how to study/build would at least make them more competitive at tournaments. Any comments?


Good points. Since the re-zoning, most of the kids from Bearden Middle are zoned for West High and Bearden High. West, doesn't have the program even though we tried hard to get it there. Bearden High has SO many extracurricular activities and clubs it's hard to compete with them. Whereas in middle school we have them every single day and at least half of Saturday, Bearden doesn't even look at the handbook until a month before regionals, and they might meet only once a week. Some of their kids this year didn't know what event they were in until they got to Wesleyan. Bearden High just isn't the same program.
Yes, they are more mature and knowledgable, but by the time they bother with Scioly, every one of those kids has upteen obligations. Every student I had that went to Bearden and West, is buried in the most advanced classes with tons of homework. In between they are fitting in Rotary Club and anything that looks nice on a college App. Some of us do help out the High School, but last time i did, i had two 3hr sessions. That's all they had time for. That's a long way from 20-30 hours a week with a middle school student. And every year there's always one or two that almost take up residency here at the house ( I coach builds ). It's kind of empty around here after Nats, dangit.
I wish Bearden High took the same dramatic approach as Oak Ridge, but at least the kids leave with an excellent Science background, and they know to strive for success in anything they attempt. Many of them return even during high school and college to help coach events at the middle school, so at least they're giving back, and they care. This sends a positive message to the kids, and inspires us old folks that maybe we're doing something right. Personally, every student I've known to excel in Bearden Middle's Scioly program has been exceptional of character, generous of heart, and fair to a fault. I'd stand them up to anyone on any terms.
While I'm rambling, as coaches all we can do is teach our best, and hope they can use it. Some you can reach, others not. So far, I've been very privileged to coach so many that will obviously be twice the man i ever could be. Perhaps we make some difference at middle school while they are still impressionable. I hope so anyway.

Nuff said.

User avatar
sciolykid101
Member
Member
Posts: 359
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:49 pm
Division: C
State: TN
Location: Je suis où je veux être.
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby sciolykid101 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:35 am

rbejnood wrote:What school are you from anyway?

^she's from Friendship Christian division C.

orangedragon wrote:Quick comment/observation.

Obviously Bearden Middle has been dominant in the B division for a long time in Tennessee, and I believe it is because of their coaches and hard work. However, what happens to the students when they get to high school? Bearden High seems to do pretty poorly at regionals. I think a few kids go to Oak Ridge, but don't the majority go to Bearden High? Even if the middle school coaches don't help the high schoolers, I think the fact that the students have experience and know how to study/build would at least make them more competitive at tournaments. Any comments?


mrcadman wrote:
Good points. Since the re-zoning, most of the kids from Bearden Middle are zoned for West High and Bearden High. West, doesn't have the program even though we tried hard to get it there. Bearden High has SO many extracurricular activities and clubs it's hard to compete with them. Whereas in middle school we have them every single day and at least half of Saturday, Bearden doesn't even look at the handbook until a month before regionals, and they might meet only once a week. Some of their kids this year didn't know what event they were in until they got to Wesleyan. Bearden High just isn't the same program.
Yes, they are more mature and knowledgable, but by the time they bother with Scioly, every one of those kids has upteen obligations. Every student I had that went to Bearden and West, is buried in the most advanced classes with tons of homework. In between they are fitting in Rotary Club and anything that looks nice on a college App. Some of us do help out the High School, but last time i did, i had two 3hr sessions. That's all they had time for. That's a long way from 20-30 hours a week with a middle school student. And every year there's always one or two that almost take up residency here at the house ( I coach builds ). It's kind of empty around here after Nats, dangit.
I wish Bearden High took the same dramatic approach as Oak Ridge, but at least the kids leave with an excellent Science background, and they know to strive for success in anything they attempt. Many of them return even during high school and college to help coach events at the middle school, so at least they're giving back, and they care. This sends a positive message to the kids, and inspires us old folks that maybe we're doing something right. Personally, every student I've known to excel in Bearden Middle's Scioly program has been exceptional of character, generous of heart, and fair to a fault. I'd stand them up to anyone on any terms.
While I'm rambling, as coaches all we can do is teach our best, and hope they can use it. Some you can reach, others not. So far, I've been very privileged to coach so many that will obviously be twice the man i ever could be. Perhaps we make some difference at middle school while they are still impressionable. I hope so anyway.

Nuff said.


^ok not everyone's lives revolves around SciOly. I was obsessed with SciOly in MS, but there are more opportunities in HS (new competitions and such). Thus, they abandon SciOly and move on. we dont really hav HS coaches, nor do any other schools. I have teh authority to make these comments because I came out of BMS and went into oak Ridge HS. SciOly isn't everything that it used to be. Division B is nothing compared to Division C. team make up is important as well for the overall success of the team. just cuz u hav good people doesn't mean that they'll be on the team (i cannot expand what i mean by this statement as it is probably forbidden to express it). I coach a lot, and I have rigorous courses.

*AlWAYS WRiGHT* wrote:So does anyone find it suspicious that Bearden had won State every single year Tennessee has had a SO program except for 1 year?...Not that I would ever infer that they have an unfair disadvantage since many of their coaches work at UT with the SO program and sometimes make the tests.


Last statement: Why don't you work harder to win? After all, no pain, no gain. You can't just expect to win without devoting any time. However, nothing is guaranteed. If you want to win, then work/study harder to beat Bearden. it's simple as that. The fact that you study hard doesn't seize a national qualification spot for your team. Think about this: if u study hard, there are hundreds of other people across TN studying as hard/harder than you. There is only one way to beat BMS, to study hard and work together. Don't make any comments concerning cheating or any contemptuous insults directed towards BMS. It really angers me.
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image

FlatFish
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:47 am
Division: B
State: TN
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby FlatFish » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:16 am

I have no doubt that Bearden works really hard to do as well as they do. I did find the following quote interesting though:

"Dr. Stuart Elston, professor of physics, enriches
physical science education in Tennessee schools.
He leads summer workshops for teachers and
serves as a Knox County scholar-in-the-schools. Dr.
Elston has developed a program to help science
teachers in Knox, Claiborne, and Cocke counties
and Lenoir City meet “highly qualified teacher”
status under the No Child Left Behind Act. He’s
a tireless volunteer with Science Olympiad at
Bearden Middle School and serves as a judge for
the statewide competition held at UTK every year."

From: http://chancellor.utk.edu/docs/honorsbanquet2005.pdf (on page 6 of the .pdf)

from 2005, but Bearden was doing pretty well back then too It doesn't prove anything, but it sure does raise some questions.

Still Bearden does meet every day and practices hard. I don't want to take away from all their effort.

User avatar
mrcadman
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby mrcadman » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:51 am

Never heard of him and just before my time, but i'll ask our Fearless Leader who's been there since the rules came out on clay tablets. Back soon.........

Ah, my understanding is he had a kid at BMS back in 99 and assisted coaching an event for a couple years. During those years he did not judge at UT. I have no way of knowing who-done-what beyond that.

BosonMichael
Member
Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:34 am
Division: C
State: TN
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby BosonMichael » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:03 pm

*AlWAYS WRiGHT* wrote:So does anyone find it suspicious that Bearden had won State every single year Tennessee has had a SO program except for 1 year?...Not that I would ever infer that they have an unfair disadvantage since many of their coaches work at UT with the SO program and sometimes make the tests.


Actually, this is not true. Portland Middle School won it from 1985 to 1987. I should know; I was on the Glencliff High team, who went to Nationals (at Michigan State) the first two years that Science Olympiad existed (1985 and 1986). Then the Portland Middle kids grew up, went to Portland High, and beat Glencliff in 1987.

I've updated the Wiki to reflect the missing data.

User avatar
mrcadman
Member
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Tennessee 2010

Postby mrcadman » Sat May 01, 2010 12:00 am

Right, we'v only won 21 of the last 22 years, or is it 22 out of 23 now................
I'm told Bearden wasn't in the program in the very beginning.


Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest