Tennessee 2010

sciolykid101
Division: C
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tennessee 2010

Post by sciolykid101 »

*AlWAYS WRiGHT* wrote:So does anyone find it suspicious that Bearden had won State every single year Tennessee has had a SO program except for 1 year?...Not that I would ever infer that they have an unfair disadvantage since many of their coaches work at UT with the SO program and sometimes make the tests.
^BMS has lost more than TWO times in their entire history in SO. Also, I don't believe most of them work at UT because I am a high schooler coach. In life, you set priorities. These kids have set their number 1 priority as SO. They are very hardworking and deserve every medal they earn. How could they cheat? I just don't see that as a possibility. Also, if they cheat, wouldn't they win every single academic event?
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
mrcadman

Post by mrcadman »

*AlWAYS WRiGHT* wrote:So does anyone find it suspicious that Bearden had won State every single year Tennessee has had a SO program except for 1 year?...Not that I would ever infer that they have an unfair disadvantage since many of their coaches work at UT with the SO program and sometimes make the tests.
You have got to be kidding? First off, Bearden has FAR more coaches from other colleges and few from UT. None of them wrote ANY tests for State. Even if they had, it would have been subject to peer review. There also would have been so many challenges the event would likely have been zeroed. The coaches and students put forth so much effort because they see Bearden takes Science and this challenge seriously, it's not just some after school playtime. Bearden has NEVER had a coach from UT that was involved in the tournament in any capacity.

2nd, Bearden wins so often because they actually live and breathe their events. They know the rules and clarifications inside out; they work long hours and have demanding coaches. The students are taught to THINK, search for information and ideas, and how to study properly. What's more, Bearden is only 6th to 8th grade, competing against almost every other schools (up to) 9th grade students.

3rd, Bearden Middle won during the years that the tournament was held at Oak Ridge and UT Martin.

4th, because of Bearden’s enviable track record, they are the bird-on-the-wire, the target of every team, complaint and challenge. If UT for one second lets themselves appear biased in our favor, there would be riots.

I'll give you a few of examples of what Bearden must overcome when competing at State.

Last year, it was thought that Bearden somehow received the State Schedule 1 day early (6 weeks out). Bearden's head coach didn't know others didn't receive it at the same time. A huge ruckus ensued and the schedule was changed just a few weeks before State. Bearden never had any real advantage, and poetically, the new schedule was a godsend.

In a recent years State Board meeting, the ex-director actually stated, "We have got to find a way to keep Bearden Middle from winning every year." I challenge ANY team to stand up against that kind of attitude.

This very year in Trajectory, there is a bucket shot. They may use any bucket from 1 to 5 gallon in size. The projectiles are limited to racquet, tennis, practice golf and ping pong balls. While every other tournament we've found has used 5 gallon buckets, litter pails, or at least a metal gallon paint can, UT chose to use some Fischer-Price sand pail, with a flat side and narrow bottom as well. Even ping pong balls would knock it over. Mind, the better devices use heavier projectiles to overcome the influence of the air. You couldn't even just DROP a racquetball in the bucket and not tip it over, let alone stay. This effectively took ALL bucket shots off the table for scoring. When Bearden addressed this, on behalf of ALL teams and the spirit of the event, they were dismissed outright, with a look of disdain from the event Proctor.

The Trajectory rules also clearly state that the DISTANCE to the bucket be posted after impound. The event proctor posted the coordinates, NOT the Distance. How many 6th graders have had Trig? Bearden’s team knew exactly what to do because they prepare for the worse case scenario, always assuming the event coordinator would only skim the rules, and always assuming the worse interpretation possible. In this case, the word "distance", not "data" was very clear, but because it was Bearden that brought up the issue, it was dismissed entirely, and with disgust. Bearden's team was just fine with the proctor's inability to read the King’s English and very prepared for it. It was NOT to Bearden’s advantage to even bring it up; it was in fairness and consideration for all teams, in particular the younger students. Surely, these college profs, charged with educating the minds of the future might be somewhat familiar with when TRIG is taught to students, and the English language. So was that just a PhD being prideful? If the UT Director himself hadn't been standing right there, perhaps so.

Were you there at the awards ceremony? Did you hear when they called Bearden for 1st places? Did you really listen? It's on HD video, and it's said so often with obvious contempt, like the guy had stepped in something, especially when announcing the overall first place winner. This didn't go unnoticed by Bearden’s kids, parents or coaches. It didn't go unnoticed by other team’s kids, parents and coaches either. It was on display for all the world to hear and it said volumes about what Bearden is up against at UT.

The only thing Bearden has ever expected at any tournament was a level playing field for the children and adherence to the rules, but unlike every other team, Bearden isn't really allowed to ask for that, even when it's in the best interest of all the teams or the spirit of the event itself.

I submit that what you "didn't infer" speaks more for your own character rather than Bearden’s, and it speaks VOLUMES.
You see, at Bearden, we not only teach Science, we also teach the kids how to think, the value of hard work and dedication, the value of responsibility and accountability, along with respect, fairplay and good sportsmanship. While experience certainly helps, it's Bearden's character that earns their Title.

Really, the suggestion that Bearden has any influence at UT is patently absurd, unfounded with no basis in fact, and the exact opposite of the truth.
Furthermore, what you "didn't infer" was a pathetically gross dismissal of Bearden students abilities, hard work and dedication to this program.
Shame on you for that.
rbejnood
Division: B

Post by rbejnood »

What school are you from anyway?

We win because we work harder than anyone else, not because of cheating. from Monday to Friday, we all stay after school until 6:00 pm doing sci oly and on Saturday we come to school for sometimes up to four or five hours. we are expected to study everyday and we even have logs for them that our coaches take up. Also, one last point, Cedar Springs and several other schools are from around UT as well, why would they help us and not them? Please don't insult our intelligence by saying that.

Thank you mrcadman and sciolykid101 for your support.
The Glass is neither half full nor half empty-it is simply twice as large as it needs to be.
fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

Based on this sentence
You see, at Bearden, we not only teach Science, we also teach the kids how to think, the value of hard work and dedication, the value of responsibility and accountability, along with respect, fairplay and good sportsmanship.
I'd say hes a coach or teacher at Bearden
mrcadman

Post by mrcadman »

fmtiger124 wrote:Based on this sentence
You see, at Bearden, we not only teach Science, we also teach the kids how to think, the value of hard work and dedication, the value of responsibility and accountability, along with respect, fairplay and good sportsmanship.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think he was referring to the previous poster Always Wright.
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

mrcadman wrote:
fmtiger124 wrote:Based on this sentence
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think he was referring to the previous poster Always Wright.
oh lol.....that would make more sense wouldn't it ;) :lol:
orangedragon

Post by orangedragon »

Quick comment/observation.

Obviously Bearden Middle has been dominant in the B division for a long time in Tennessee, and I believe it is because of their coaches and hard work. However, what happens to the students when they get to high school? Bearden High seems to do pretty poorly at regionals. I think a few kids go to Oak Ridge, but don't the majority go to Bearden High? Even if the middle school coaches don't help the high schoolers, I think the fact that the students have experience and know how to study/build would at least make them more competitive at tournaments. Any comments?
fmtiger124

Post by fmtiger124 »

Although I think most states would love to see differences in the standings for once instead of the same continual thing (for example at B division regionals for NY Mid-State, Eagle Hill and Wellwood continually go 1,2--on at a rest stop on the way home from states some of us from Wellwood ran into a parent who had a kid on another team from regionals and she said it was quite hard to listen to the same schools continually cheering for winning medals) so obviously it would be nice for other people to experience the same joy that the winning schools continually do. However, the only way to do this is have the other teams step it up it's not like one team is going to drop off simply because they win too much and they deserve to win if they work that hard. Basically people instead of complaining about how you never get 1st and the same team wins every year, try working as hard as those teams maybe you can pull an upset.
mrcadman

Post by mrcadman »

orangedragon wrote:Quick comment/observation.

Obviously Bearden Middle has been dominant in the B division for a long time in Tennessee, and I believe it is because of their coaches and hard work. However, what happens to the students when they get to high school? Bearden High seems to do pretty poorly at regionals. I think a few kids go to Oak Ridge, but don't the majority go to Bearden High? Even if the middle school coaches don't help the high schoolers, I think the fact that the students have experience and know how to study/build would at least make them more competitive at tournaments. Any comments?
Good points. Since the re-zoning, most of the kids from Bearden Middle are zoned for West High and Bearden High. West, doesn't have the program even though we tried hard to get it there. Bearden High has SO many extracurricular activities and clubs it's hard to compete with them. Whereas in middle school we have them every single day and at least half of Saturday, Bearden doesn't even look at the handbook until a month before regionals, and they might meet only once a week. Some of their kids this year didn't know what event they were in until they got to Wesleyan. Bearden High just isn't the same program.
Yes, they are more mature and knowledgable, but by the time they bother with Scioly, every one of those kids has upteen obligations. Every student I had that went to Bearden and West, is buried in the most advanced classes with tons of homework. In between they are fitting in Rotary Club and anything that looks nice on a college App. Some of us do help out the High School, but last time i did, i had two 3hr sessions. That's all they had time for. That's a long way from 20-30 hours a week with a middle school student. And every year there's always one or two that almost take up residency here at the house ( I coach builds ). It's kind of empty around here after Nats, dangit.
I wish Bearden High took the same dramatic approach as Oak Ridge, but at least the kids leave with an excellent Science background, and they know to strive for success in anything they attempt. Many of them return even during high school and college to help coach events at the middle school, so at least they're giving back, and they care. This sends a positive message to the kids, and inspires us old folks that maybe we're doing something right. Personally, every student I've known to excel in Bearden Middle's Scioly program has been exceptional of character, generous of heart, and fair to a fault. I'd stand them up to anyone on any terms.
While I'm rambling, as coaches all we can do is teach our best, and hope they can use it. Some you can reach, others not. So far, I've been very privileged to coach so many that will obviously be twice the man i ever could be. Perhaps we make some difference at middle school while they are still impressionable. I hope so anyway.

Nuff said.
sciolykid101

Post by sciolykid101 »

rbejnood wrote:What school are you from anyway?
^she's from Friendship Christian division C.
orangedragon wrote:Quick comment/observation.

mrcadman wrote:
Good points. Since the re-zoning, most of the kids from Bearden Middle are zoned for West High and Bearden High. West, doesn't have the program even though we tried hard to get it there. Bearden High has SO many extracurricular activities and clubs it's hard to compete with them. Whereas in middle school we have them every single day and at least half of Saturday, Bearden doesn't even look at the handbook until a month before regionals, and they might meet only once a week. Some of their kids this year didn't know what event they were in until they got to Wesleyan. Bearden High just isn't the same program.
Yes, they are more mature and knowledgable, but by the time they bother with Scioly, every one of those kids has upteen obligations. Every student I had that went to Bearden and West, is buried in the most advanced classes with tons of homework. In between they are fitting in Rotary Club and anything that looks nice on a college App. Some of us do help out the High School, but last time i did, i had two 3hr sessions. That's all they had time for. That's a long way from 20-30 hours a week with a middle school student. And every year there's always one or two that almost take up residency here at the house ( I coach builds ). It's kind of empty around here after Nats, dangit.
I wish Bearden High took the same dramatic approach as Oak Ridge, but at least the kids leave with an excellent Science background, and they know to strive for success in anything they attempt. Many of them return even during high school and college to help coach events at the middle school, so at least they're giving back, and they care. This sends a positive message to the kids, and inspires us old folks that maybe we're doing something right. Personally, every student I've known to excel in Bearden Middle's Scioly program has been exceptional of character, generous of heart, and fair to a fault. I'd stand them up to anyone on any terms.
While I'm rambling, as coaches all we can do is teach our best, and hope they can use it. Some you can reach, others not. So far, I've been very privileged to coach so many that will obviously be twice the man i ever could be. Perhaps we make some difference at middle school while they are still impressionable. I hope so anyway.

Nuff said.
^ok not everyone's lives revolves around SciOly. I was obsessed with SciOly in MS, but there are more opportunities in HS (new competitions and such). Thus, they abandon SciOly and move on. we dont really hav HS coaches, nor do any other schools. I have teh authority to make these comments because I came out of BMS and went into oak Ridge HS. SciOly isn't everything that it used to be. Division B is nothing compared to Division C. team make up is important as well for the overall success of the team. just cuz u hav good people doesn't mean that they'll be on the team (i cannot expand what i mean by this statement as it is probably forbidden to express it). I coach a lot, and I have rigorous courses.
Last statement: Why don't you work harder to win? After all, no pain, no gain. You can't just expect to win without devoting any time. However, nothing is guaranteed. If you want to win, then work/study harder to beat Bearden. it's simple as that. The fact that you study hard doesn't seize a national qualification spot for your team. Think about this: if u study hard, there are hundreds of other people across TN studying as hard/harder than you. There is only one way to beat BMS, to study hard and work together. Don't make any comments concerning cheating or any contemptuous insults directed towards BMS. It really angers me.
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”