Tennessee 2010

FlatFish
Division: B
State: TN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tennessee 2010

Post by FlatFish »

I have no doubt that Bearden works really hard to do as well as they do. I did find the following quote interesting though:

"Dr. Stuart Elston, professor of physics, enriches
physical science education in Tennessee schools.
He leads summer workshops for teachers and
serves as a Knox County scholar-in-the-schools. Dr.
Elston has developed a program to help science
teachers in Knox, Claiborne, and Cocke counties
and Lenoir City meet “highly qualified teacher”
status under the No Child Left Behind Act. He’s
a tireless volunteer with Science Olympiad at
Bearden Middle School and serves as a judge for
the statewide competition held at UTK every year."

From: http://chancellor.utk.edu/docs/honorsbanquet2005.pdf (on page 6 of the .pdf)

from 2005, but Bearden was doing pretty well back then too It doesn't prove anything, but it sure does raise some questions.

Still Bearden does meet every day and practices hard. I don't want to take away from all their effort.
mrcadman

Post by mrcadman »

Never heard of him and just before my time, but i'll ask our Fearless Leader who's been there since the rules came out on clay tablets. Back soon.........

Ah, my understanding is he had a kid at BMS back in 99 and assisted coaching an event for a couple years. During those years he did not judge at UT. I have no way of knowing who-done-what beyond that.
BosonMichael
Division: C
State: TN

Post by BosonMichael »

*AlWAYS WRiGHT* wrote:So does anyone find it suspicious that Bearden had won State every single year Tennessee has had a SO program except for 1 year?...Not that I would ever infer that they have an unfair disadvantage since many of their coaches work at UT with the SO program and sometimes make the tests.
Actually, this is not true. Portland Middle School won it from 1985 to 1987. I should know; I was on the Glencliff High team, who went to Nationals (at Michigan State) the first two years that Science Olympiad existed (1985 and 1986). Then the Portland Middle kids grew up, went to Portland High, and beat Glencliff in 1987.

I've updated the Wiki to reflect the missing data.
mrcadman

Post by mrcadman »

Right, we'v only won 21 of the last 22 years, or is it 22 out of 23 now................
I'm told Bearden wasn't in the program in the very beginning.

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”