Washington 2010

Postby Press_Tilty » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Who's qualifying for WA?

Zsharma
State: -

Re: Washington 2010

Postby Zsharma » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 am

qualifying what? for state? for nats?

Camas is going to nats for sure this year ;)
2010 placement (CHS tournament, Aviation, Regionals, State)
Physics Lab 1st, 1st, 1st, 9th
It's About Time 1st, 1st, 2nd, N/A
Mission Possible 1st, 1st, 9th, 3rd

GoggleGeek
Division: C

Postby GoggleGeek » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:54 pm

ExCEL HS made it! We had 7 people at regionals, but will have 9 at State. I'm estimating a 14th team placement.

But the big news is that Jason Lee MS was only one point behind ExCEL in B division. The state competition will be really close this year. I don't really care who wins, as long as Washington gets one of the top three at Nationals. Our team is really young this year, anyone know how Canyon park is doing?
Bring back MP!

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA

Postby Aia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:50 am

It's wonderful that Excel HS made it! It's especially cool given the small size of your team.

States is really going to be a toss up this year. My bet is Jason Lee or Excel for B division (I'm guessing Excel will have a slight edge over Jason Lee), and Stanwood or Union for C division (Stanwood is my bet). I'm not sure how Bothell HS will fare- they lost 7 strong competitors last year.

Canyon Park has been working really hard- I think they'll finish right behind Excel and Jason Lee. What's interesting about Canyon Park this year is that they have two fairly strong teams- I'm guessing they'll finish 3 and 6 overall.

Best of luck to everyone!
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

GoggleGeek

Postby GoggleGeek » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:25 am

I suspect that Canyon park will merge their two teams into one superteam, so I wouldn't leave them out. I know that our team has discussed doing that in the past, to give other teams false hopes, only to crush them at state. :twisted:
Bring back MP!

Atarah

Postby Atarah » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Aia wrote:States is really going to be a toss up this year. My bet is Jason Lee or Excel for B division (I'm guessing Excel will have a slight edge over Jason Lee), and Stanwood or Union for C division (Stanwood is my bet). I'm not sure how Bothell HS will fare- they lost 7 strong competitors last year.

I'd say that Union still has another year left before the program gets going at full speed. Camas is definitely favored above them at the moment. They did win the Regional Tournament after all. I would not be surprised if Camas wins it outright this year. My money is on them. ;)
Proudly Retired from SO.

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Aia » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:20 pm

Well, Camas and Union were very close at regionals this year. It appeared that Union had a mishap with their mousetrap vehicle that prevented them from winning... by all means though, Camas is a very serious contender. I like the Camas team spirit and the lab coats. : )

I do feel that Stanwood, Union, Camas, Bothell, and Lakeside will take 1 through 5 overall at state. I just haven't any idea of the order.

Hey Atarah, if I may ask, what school are you from? I'm betting it's Camas. : P

GoggleGeek

Postby GoggleGeek » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:44 am

I'm rooting for Union. Because their coach, who used to coach Prarie HS, is my uncle.

From what I've heard, the Union students weren't even thinking about going to Nationals, but once they realized how close they were they got pretty excited. So they will probably be a lot better than they were at Regionals.
Bring back MP!

Atarah

Postby Atarah » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:56 am

Aia wrote:Hey Atarah, if I may ask, what school are you from? I'm betting it's Camas. : P

That's right, Aia. It's definitely going to be close this year. Can't reveal too much, but you can bet that whoever comes out on top this year is going to do very well at Nationals.

May the best team win. We'll know by Saturday evening...
Last edited by Atarah on Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proudly Retired from SO.

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Aia » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:44 am

Hey GoggleGeek, if you happen to hear the top Elevated Bridge scores from Saturday (C division), would you mind posting? Thanks!

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby Aia » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:43 am

Congratulations to Stanwood and ExCEL for advancing to the national tournament!

sciolykid101
State: TN

Postby sciolykid101 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:33 am

Aia wrote:Congratulations to Stanwood and ExCEL for advancing to the national tournament!

Hm. Thought Camas was going to go. ExCEL isn't a surprise.
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image

Zsharma

Postby Zsharma » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:05 am

That tournament was insane. None of the proctors had any idea what they were doing.
MY two best events - Physics lab and its about time - totally failed because one just got removed from the tournament and the other failed because their setup was wrong! And the phys test only had FOUR questions!

Worst tournament ever.

Infinity Flat

Postby Infinity Flat » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:18 am

sciolykid101 wrote:
Aia wrote:Congratulations to Stanwood and ExCEL for advancing to the national tournament!

Hm. Thought Camas was going to go. ExCEL isn't a surprise.

Stanwood was, overall, more motivated than Camas. For the past two years, they had gotten first at regionals, and then had the title stolen from under their feet by bothell. They weren't going to let that happen again, so they pushed extremely hard. Also, Camas had prom on the same day as the competition, so some of our team member's heads were elsewhere. Stanwood did better than us across the board, and the results show (Stanwood got 25 more than Bothell, which got 12 more than Camas.) Overall, it was not a good day for Camas, medalling in only 7 events, with only two gold (Mine :)), though we got 5-7 in almost all the rest, which was the reason we managed to snatch a third place. HOWEVER, I believe Stanwood and Bothell are graduating a lot of seniors, whereas Camas is only graduating 2. Next year will be our year.

Another thing worth mentioning is how poorly the entire competition was run. Especially noteworthy issues that I remember:
1) Physics Lab. Every part of this event was ****. Instead of using a standard CD motor, the person who ran the event instead set up an extremely geared down motor, resulting in around 75% of the blades not even turning. One of the only ones to work was the team that bought a TOY PINWHEEL from 7-11 or something, but they were disqualified anyways, for bringing two devices. And, to top it all off, the test consisted of four questions, including: Through what process does heat travel through a vacuum? And a Farenheit-Celsius conversion problem.
2) It's about Time. This event was actually scratched from the standings. You know why? Because one of the people running the event was TEXTING when s/he was supposed to be observing the stopwatch/clock, resulting in HUGE delays. Haven't heard much about the test, though.
3) Cell Bio. The proctor for the test wasn't even aware there was a rulebook for the event. And the entire test was on frog sperm, so I don't know about the test writer, either.
4)Dynamic Planet. Scales were ****ed up, so when you had to locate the epicenter, the curves went OFF THE PAGE. The entire test was extremely frustrating, including having to know specific knowledge about some pair of buttes in Idaho that I still can't find.
5) Not really an issue so much, but an indication of why this college should NOT host the science olympiad tournament. During the pre-awards ceremony time, they did some stupid trivia thing. The reader was a "biology major," who had difficulty pronouncing words including, but not limited to: Eukaryotic, Phylum, and Staphyloccocus. From what I can tell from wikipedia, the main export of this school is football players and army rangers. This is NOT a science-focused college. I'm so glad it's at Clark again next year, I don't remember any issues from then.
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Zsharma

Postby Zsharma » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:23 am

Dude infinity you're a freshman, how would you not remember problems from last year?? :o
And what do you mean distracted by prom, haha. That's untrue. I didn't even think about till all my events were done.

There are ALWAYS problems. It's just that at this tournament every single event was messed up.
My two best events, physics lab and time were total BS. The physics lab test was ridiculous! Everything was ridiculous!
If this was a properly run tournament, we would have won. I'm not kidding, there's no doubt in my mind. I don't think other teams have their own building to study/work like we do, nor all the practice time we had (every day for 5 hours). Basically, we knew our stuff, and if the tests were A LOT HARDER we could have pulled it off. We did worse because everything was so easy that I'm sure 1st place was a 10-way tie. The test for its about time was crazy! the hardest question was just simple GMT conversion when it should have been stuff like, what year did Zhan Sixun make his mercury clock? :x it made me MAD. And then they didn't even count the event because they tested the clocks all wrong!! ARGH.
Also our phys. lab blade got almost to 1200, and that's on our small fan. At regionals we got around 900 but then our fan was only 400ish on our small fan. We would've dominated that! Gotten like 2400!
Our only iffy event the coach was worried about not potentially winning was mission possible, and we did a good job getting third for not having it functional at all a few days before...

Basically, Camas WILL WIN next year. We're losing only 2 seniors, one of who is me, and the other who didn't medal at all in anything (not that she isn't important. She's EXTREMELY important :mrgreen: ). So basically, next year's team will be brutal to any and all competition. WATCH OUT! :twisted:

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”