Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Good Memories

Post by zyzzyva980 »

AlphaTauri wrote:None of us really wanted to be inside, because they always have something to "pass the time before awards" that no one likes/cares about. From what you say, I think I'm glad I was nowhere near the gym at that time.
Ah, the "pass the time before awards." Normally a movie, that no one watches and everyone plays with their cell phones and the two sides of the gym do the whole *stomp stomp clap* thing back and forth (invitational) ... my team plays poker or another card game while we wait. But no one really pays attention to the provided "pass the time before awards" event.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Last year, at States they brought in a Step Team, and tried to convince people to go up and step/clap rhythmically. Personally, I think it was quite stupid, but I do see their dilemma: how exactly are you supposed to keep 1000 MS and HS students entertained for an hour? I don't even know what they did this year- thankfully, they do let us outside and most of the teams bring a Frisbee/soccer ball/football to toss around before awards.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
frogzorz

Post by frogzorz »

AlphaTauri wrote:Hmm, were you at the big field by Pentathlon before the awards ceremony started? (I thought it was weird how they had two teams on the stations at one time for Pentathlon...what if the second team was really good or the first team was really bad and they (team #2) caught up to them (team #1)?) I remember chasing after errant Frisbees while fooling around with the rest of the team. None of us really wanted to be inside, because they always have something to "pass the time before awards" that no one likes/cares about. From what you say, I think I'm glad I was nowhere near the gym at that time.
I was at the Pentathlon place for a while but then left for the area in front of von Liebig. Did you watch Pentathlon? And do you remember a kid named TongDa or Tony? Because he was talking to some Asian HMS kids.
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

frogzorz wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote:Hmm, were you at the big field by Pentathlon before the awards ceremony started? (I thought it was weird how they had two teams on the stations at one time for Pentathlon...what if the second team was really good or the first team was really bad and they (team #2) caught up to them (team #1)?) I remember chasing after errant Frisbees while fooling around with the rest of the team. None of us really wanted to be inside, because they always have something to "pass the time before awards" that no one likes/cares about. From what you say, I think I'm glad I was nowhere near the gym at that time.
I was at the Pentathlon place for a while but then left for the area in front of von Liebig. Did you watch Pentathlon? And do you remember a kid named TongDa or Tony? Because he was talking to some Asian HMS kids.
Yeah, I saw all of Hershey Pentathlon and part of Shady Side and Strath Haven, who went right before/after our team. We were screaming at our team both to hurry up and to throw the sponges at each other instead of to each other (real mature, I know). In fact, I'd have to say my biggest regret from States is not taping our team's Pentathlon. I mean, it's both extremely funny and potential blackmail. What could be better? :P

And yeah, I do remember that kid. He used to go to my school. Sat near me in orchestra, as a matter of fact. (And of course, he has to move to the one school that becomes Science Olympiad State Champion...)

]\/[ Go Blue!
frogzorz

Post by frogzorz »

Yeah, he made a bet for five bucks with one of his friends from Hershey that he would beat him (his friend) in Road Scholar. He lost! AND FIVE BUCKS IS HOW MUCH A SMOOTHIE COSTS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seeing one of our ninth graders in a duck hat was PRICELESS. It was one of the greatest moments of States. In fact, Pentathlon itself was one of the greatest moments.
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

frogzorz wrote:Yeah, he made a bet for five bucks with one of his friends from Hershey that he would beat him (his friend) in Road Scholar. He lost! AND FIVE BUCKS IS HOW MUCH A SMOOTHIE COSTS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seeing one of our ninth graders in a duck hat was PRICELESS. It was one of the greatest moments of States. In fact, Pentathlon itself was one of the greatest moments.
Ha, I remember when we were carrying all our stuff out to the bus after awards, one of my Asian teammates almost throws his pile of event stuff at another teammate and runs off to collect his five dollars. And Pentathlon...all 4 of our Pentathlon team are either my good friends or people I (and the rest of the team) love to hate, so seeing them wearing duck hats and failing at the physical "challenges" was hilarious and yes, absolutely priceless. On the other hand, the most annoying part of States was hearing all of the other teams clinking and sounding like, well, a bunch of Science Olympiad kids with way too many medals clinking together, as they went up to recieve their medals while we sat there knowing we would only get few if any medals...I ended up being the only one on my team with enough medals to clink together. :| I made fun of my event partner (who medaled) because I did almost all of the work and he mostly sat there.

]\/[ Go Blue!
ichaelm

Post by ichaelm »

frogzorz wrote:Yeah, he made a bet for five bucks with one of his friends from Hershey that he would beat him (his friend) in Road Scholar. He lost! AND FIVE BUCKS IS HOW MUCH A SMOOTHIE COSTS! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Which one? :shock:
eta150

Post by eta150 »

I think he meant all of us. :?
#ACESWILD
doctor
Division: C

Post by doctor »

probably me....
remember ichaelm u pegged me w/ a wet sponge?
sigh...
fun times
Z
. Z
Z
( ) ( )
( - . - )
c(")uu(") MADA MADA DANE
2013 Events: Anatomy, Designer Genes, Chem Lab
doctor's Userpage
ichaelm