Good Memories

3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Good Memories

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

I remember how much fun we had at states, even though my team didn't go to nationals and I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to discuss all of your memories. feel free to discuss funny, emotional, or other good memories in this thread!

if you like this thread, you an pm me ideas for other threads that you think I should make
Last edited by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m on June 25th, 2010, 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: Good Memories

Post by paleonaps »

I have a great memory from States.
My Anatomy partner is very pessimistic, and thought we had failed the State test.
I tried to convince him otherwise, but he just didn't buy it.
So they read the schools.
5th.....
4th.....
3rd.....
2nd.....
1st..... was US!
As we went up to get our medal, he hugged me and almost started crying. Everybody took pictures of us doing that, with the medal presenters going "AWW"
It was quite an experience.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
HappySciencePie

Post by HappySciencePie »

At states, the day before competition, we'd always go to a park with the RC Murphy kids. There was a waterfall and a river and.. nature there, and it was a lot of fun, because for once, we'd get to spend time with our friends from the other school. So, some of my friends and I were at the river, and we started singing I'll Make a Man Out of You. That was fun. :D

I have a lot of other hoopy memories from states, too, but then this post would be REEEEEEEEEEEALLY long.

By the way, Division B NY people, if you've heard one person screaming exceptionally loudly whenever they called Gelinas or Murphy, that was probably me.
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Overall, I had a blast at States. I think the thing I'll remember most is playing Ultimate with my some of my teammates outside the gym (apologies to anyone who had to dodge errant Frisbees). And then, the awards ceremony...I sat there bored for most of it, since all our "good" events are, as one of my teammates put it, "alphabetically challenged". Both times they called one of my events as medaling, I think I sat there for a few seconds in absolute shock before realizing that I was supposed to get up and go down the stairs to accept the medal.

I hope my team makes it to States next year, and if not, I'm going anyways to just to cheer everybody else on. Image
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
State: VA

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

paleonaps95 wrote:I have a great memory from States.
My Anatomy partner is very pessimistic, and thought we had failed the State test.
5th.....
4th.....
3rd.....
2nd.....
1st..... was US!
As we went up to get our medal, he hugged me and almost started crying. Everybody took pictures of us doing that, with the medal presenters going "AWW"
it sounds like you had a lot more fun than I did with my team. how did you do at nationals?
French_Toast
State: OH

Post by French_Toast »

So I got tossed into Pentathalon for the first time ever at States. I always thought it was a joke event, but the people who normally did it were amazing at the event(think they were on a three tournament streak of 1sts). I worried a ton about completely screwing up, and costing our team nationals(because we were convinced we had a chance...that's another story though). Anyways, I run ALL the way across campus(I swear, Jennings Hall is out in the middle of freaking nowhere on OSU campus...) so I'd be on time. I get there, and it turns out we'll be waiting in line for the next hour...

So FINALLY, we get to the front of the line, and our coaches run up to us, and tell two of us to leave. The next time slot was going to be starting in the next five minutes, and they had to go. So they argue for a second, but take off, leaving us with only two people. We go up to start the competition, just kinda looking at each other, confused.

So the other kid that had stayed did his challenge, and as he finished, two of our other freshman come SPRINTING toward the competition site, hurdle the caution tape that was keeping people out, and get to their stations. I got to brief them on what they were doing, as they were doing it, lol.

So, we finished with an amazing time anyways, but I think they penalized us, because we got 11th, or something like that. Whatever, it was tons of fun, and the pure epicness of reinforcements arriving in the nick of time made my day. So as much as I hate Pentathalon still, this is probably one of my favorite memories from states this year.
2011 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Ecology, Microbe Mission, Mission Possible, Optics, Birds, Protein Modeling, Technical Problem Solving
2012 Events: Anatomy & Physiology, Disease Detectives, Elastic Gliders, Trees, Microbe Mission, Protein Modeling, Remote Sensing
climber2014
State: KY

Post by climber2014 »

States was fun, I think when I look back on my times in science olympiad I will realize that they were the best of my life.
tclme elmo
Division: B
State: HI

Post by tclme elmo »

5th.....
4th.....
3rd.....
2nd.....
1st..... was US!
^ love
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

tclme elmo wrote:
5th.....
4th.....
3rd.....
2nd.....
1st..... was US!
^ love
I hope it's not love....we're both guys.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
tclme elmo
Division: B
State: HI

Post by tclme elmo »

:lol: Lol- that's not what I meant. I would hope not either.
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”