3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Good Memories

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

sciolykid101 wrote:
3nv1r0nm3ntal_ch3m wrote:I remember how much fun we had at states, even though my team didn't go to nationals and I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to discuss all of your memories. feel free to discuss funny, emotional, or other good memories in this thread!
hey are u from charter?
why were you wondering?
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

Ah, PSL at States. We had just given up on this event and wrote it off as a failure. I only spent an hour on my windmill, and neither of us really studied at all. We finished our test very quickly since we knew nearly nothing, and so just sat there in the room and talked for a while before our windmill was tested. We tested our windmill, and went on with the rest of our events. At the awards ceremony, we hear 6th, we hear 5th, we hear 4th, and suddenly it hits me that WE were 5th. I was laughing all the way up to get the medal :lol:
In full color since 2006
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

One of the best moments you can have is when you don't expect a medal and you win one anyway. Last year we were terrible at Road Scholar, then all of a sudden this year we ended up taking first at our last invitational, regional, and state. We were amazed at this. We were also shocked when we took third in DyPlan at state, because the test was crazy hard and was the same as last year, meaning participants from last year in DyPlan (not me) would have an unfair advantage. Somehow, we took third anyway.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
eta150
State: PA

Post by eta150 »

Our greatest memory has got to be winning states for the first time in school history. I'll admit that after a 2nd place finish at regionals (first non-win in years) we thought we were seriously weak (although we were behind Strath Haven, a nationals academic powerhouse), and were convinced that first was out of reach, and 2nd was unlikely. We won the medal count at states, but we were sure we bombed some events. They got to 3rd place, and hear one of our rival schools name's called and were ridiculously excited. When Strath Haven was called, we absolutely erupted, as much out of happiness for their qualification as our probable victory. When they called us, it was a blur of screaming, jumping, and in some cases, sobbing in happiness. That is a day I'll remember forever.

Also, in response to pentathlon stories and unlikely medals, we nearly missed our pentathlon timeslot at regionals (that would have been really, really, bad), and then again at nationals. However, our Physics guy got formulas, our anatomy person got diseases, our dynamic planet person got rocks, and me, a pretty good scientific mind, got microscopes parts. The group got meteorology charts, which we all understood. We still had no idea how well we did, but when they called us in 4th, it was ridiculous.
#ACESWILD
sciolykid101
State: TN

Post by sciolykid101 »

3nv1r0nm3ntal_ch3m wrote:
sciolykid101 wrote:
3nv1r0nm3ntal_ch3m wrote:I remember how much fun we had at states, even though my team didn't go to nationals and I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread to discuss all of your memories. feel free to discuss funny, emotional, or other good memories in this thread!
hey are u from charter?
why were you wondering?
I used to live in DE. And I only know two schools, Charter and Dupont. DE fascinates me.
2010 Events: Anatomy, Astronomy, Cell Biology, Protein Modeling
Looking forward to the '11 SO season!
Tennessee! Image
soobsession

Post by soobsession »

zyzzyva98 wrote:One of the best moments you can have is when you don't expect a medal and you win one anyway.
This is absolutely true. This year at States, we were doing the Anatomy test and when we finished it, it was one of those "eh... we did okayish maybe 4thish 5thish 6thish place maybe no place at all" kind of feelings. Anatomy was the last of my partner and I's events to be called and when I looked at her she was shaking her head and frowning. It didn't make me too optimistic. They called 6th, 5th,and 4th and still we didn't get called so we lost all hope. My partner put her head in her lap and I was kind of hugging her and being sad since she got 2nd at Regionals and we were probably not going to place at States. Then it went 3rd, 2nd, and we were kind of tuning out about then because we knew we wouldn't place and then... 1st... Us... It was about a minute of screaming and waving hands and wide eyes and "OMG!" gestures and "WTHeck did they make a mistake?" looks before we finally realized that we were supposed to go down and recieve the medal. My partner and I were crying when we got that medal. It is without a doubt one of my favorite medals.

Also: I remember that at States, I had Fossils last session. I had made a plan with my partner to meet me at homeroom and then we'd get our stuff and walk together to the event. I get to homeroom 15 minutes before the event starts and wait there for 5 minutes. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I get seriously pigeon if my partner is late. I figure he may have forgotten the plan and gone straight to the event 10 minutes early, so I go there, but I'm the first one there and there's no one else there. I get really mad this time and wait around for a couple of minutes and then sprint back to homeroom to grab our stuff (magnifying glass, large binder, field guide) and run as fast as I can back to the event. There are like 2 minutes left until the event starts and my partner is still not there and I am freaking out and dispatch my friend to go find him. While he's gone, I call him a million times and leave many angry voicemails. Then another team member called me saying that he will be late because Pentathalon was running late. I get so mad I start screaming at the phone even though the person I was talking to wasn't even my partner. I had no idea until later that everyone around me who was also waiting for the event was staring at me, along with the event supervisor. I get another call from my friend to tell me that my partner was currently sprinting towards the event and just as we were walking in the door and the evnt was about to start he rushes and through the doors all out of breath. There was mud all over his jeans and his back so I could actually believe him when he said he sprinted. It made my day.

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

HappySciencePie
State: NY

Post by HappySciencePie »

It's always Anatomy, isn't it? :P
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3
new horizon
State: NJ

Post by new horizon »

soobsession wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:One of the best moments you can have is when you don't expect a medal and you win one anyway.
This is absolutely true. This year at States, we were doing the Anatomy test and when we finished it, it was one of those "eh... we did okayish maybe 4thish 5thish 6thish place maybe no place at all" kind of feelings. Anatomy was the last of my partner and I's events to be called and when I looked at her she was shaking her head and frowning. It didn't make me too optimistic. They called 6th, 5th,and 4th and still we didn't get called so we lost all hope. My partner put her head in her lap and I was kind of hugging her and being sad since she got 2nd at Regionals and we were probably not going to place at States. Then it went 3rd, 2nd, and we were kind of tuning out about then because we knew we wouldn't place and then... 1st... Us... It was about a minute of screaming and waving hands and wide eyes and "OMG!" gestures and "WTHeck did they make a mistake?" looks before we finally realized that we were supposed to go down and recieve the medal. My partner and I were crying when we got that medal. It is without a doubt one of my favorite medals.

Also: I remember that at States, I had Fossils last session. I had made a plan with my partner to meet me at homeroom and then we'd get our stuff and walk together to the event. I get to homeroom 15 minutes before the event starts and wait there for 5 minutes. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I get seriously butterfly if my partner is late. I figure he may have forgotten the plan and gone straight to the event 10 minutes early, so I go there, but I'm the first one there and there's no one else there. I get really mad this time and wait around for a couple of minutes and then sprint back to homeroom to grab our stuff (magnifying glass, large binder, field guide) and run as fast as I can back to the event. There are like 2 minutes left until the event starts and my partner is still not there and I am freaking out and dispatch my friend to go find him. While he's gone, I call him a million times and leave many angry voicemails. Then another team member called me saying that he will be late because Pentathalon was running late. I get so mad I start screaming at the phone even though the person I was talking to wasn't even my partner. I had no idea until later that everyone around me who was also waiting for the event was staring at me, along with the event supervisor. I get another call from my friend to tell me that my partner was currently sprinting towards the event and just as we were walking in the door and the evnt was about to start he rushes and through the doors all out of breath. There was mud all over his jeans and his back so I could actually believe him when he said he sprinted. It made my day.
You forgot "OMG OMG OMG WHERE IS MY MAGNIFYING GLASS???? WHO TOOK MY MAGNIFYING GLASS?"
I was rather scared for a moment there... :?
I don't think anyone in my events really cared at all. We were happy cause we medaled (stupid test) but we don't go screaming and crying and whatnot.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Okay- one of the worst part of state is the awards ceremony. I do not look highly upon screaming. I am fond of my eardrums. In 2009, we sat next to the team that won small school division. They screamed incredibly loud and incredibly high-pitched. For every medal. When they were calling off first I knew it was going to be them, so I had to quick cover my ears or risk permanent damage. In 2010, it wasn't quite as bad, but I got pretty ticked at the team sitting in front of us. Screaming + beating us by two points to go to nats. Argh.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
new horizon
State: NJ

Post by new horizon »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Okay- one of the worst part of state is the awards ceremony. I do not look highly upon screaming. I am fond of my eardrums. In 2009, we sat next to the team that won small school division. They screamed incredibly loud and incredibly high-pitched. For every medal. When they were calling off first I knew it was going to be them, so I had to quick cover my ears or risk permanent damage. In 2010, it wasn't quite as bad, but I got pretty ticked at the team sitting in front of us. Screaming + beating us by two points to go to nats. Argh.
Yep that's my team. we won the spirit award.
I'm probably the most un-spirited kid on our team.

Battery buggy, oh we failed, 8th place or so. and then our competitors failed too. lol.
and they made a mistake with JYC and i was like, wooo 20th place ftw!
My coaches smacked me countless times for being pessimistic. :D

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”