Good Memories

soobsession
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Good Memories

Post by soobsession »

zyzzyva98 wrote:One of the best moments you can have is when you don't expect a medal and you win one anyway.
This is absolutely true. This year at States, we were doing the Anatomy test and when we finished it, it was one of those "eh... we did okayish maybe 4thish 5thish 6thish place maybe no place at all" kind of feelings. Anatomy was the last of my partner and I's events to be called and when I looked at her she was shaking her head and frowning. It didn't make me too optimistic. They called 6th, 5th,and 4th and still we didn't get called so we lost all hope. My partner put her head in her lap and I was kind of hugging her and being sad since she got 2nd at Regionals and we were probably not going to place at States. Then it went 3rd, 2nd, and we were kind of tuning out about then because we knew we wouldn't place and then... 1st... Us... It was about a minute of screaming and waving hands and wide eyes and "OMG!" gestures and "WTHeck did they make a mistake?" looks before we finally realized that we were supposed to go down and recieve the medal. My partner and I were crying when we got that medal. It is without a doubt one of my favorite medals.

Also: I remember that at States, I had Fossils last session. I had made a plan with my partner to meet me at homeroom and then we'd get our stuff and walk together to the event. I get to homeroom 15 minutes before the event starts and wait there for 5 minutes. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I get seriously pigeon if my partner is late. I figure he may have forgotten the plan and gone straight to the event 10 minutes early, so I go there, but I'm the first one there and there's no one else there. I get really mad this time and wait around for a couple of minutes and then sprint back to homeroom to grab our stuff (magnifying glass, large binder, field guide) and run as fast as I can back to the event. There are like 2 minutes left until the event starts and my partner is still not there and I am freaking out and dispatch my friend to go find him. While he's gone, I call him a million times and leave many angry voicemails. Then another team member called me saying that he will be late because Pentathalon was running late. I get so mad I start screaming at the phone even though the person I was talking to wasn't even my partner. I had no idea until later that everyone around me who was also waiting for the event was staring at me, along with the event supervisor. I get another call from my friend to tell me that my partner was currently sprinting towards the event and just as we were walking in the door and the evnt was about to start he rushes and through the doors all out of breath. There was mud all over his jeans and his back so I could actually believe him when he said he sprinted. It made my day.

"Do or do not. There is no try" -Yoda

HappySciencePie
State: NY

Post by HappySciencePie »

It's always Anatomy, isn't it? :P
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3
new horizon
State: NJ

Post by new horizon »

soobsession wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:One of the best moments you can have is when you don't expect a medal and you win one anyway.
This is absolutely true. This year at States, we were doing the Anatomy test and when we finished it, it was one of those "eh... we did okayish maybe 4thish 5thish 6thish place maybe no place at all" kind of feelings. Anatomy was the last of my partner and I's events to be called and when I looked at her she was shaking her head and frowning. It didn't make me too optimistic. They called 6th, 5th,and 4th and still we didn't get called so we lost all hope. My partner put her head in her lap and I was kind of hugging her and being sad since she got 2nd at Regionals and we were probably not going to place at States. Then it went 3rd, 2nd, and we were kind of tuning out about then because we knew we wouldn't place and then... 1st... Us... It was about a minute of screaming and waving hands and wide eyes and "OMG!" gestures and "WTHeck did they make a mistake?" looks before we finally realized that we were supposed to go down and recieve the medal. My partner and I were crying when we got that medal. It is without a doubt one of my favorite medals.

Also: I remember that at States, I had Fossils last session. I had made a plan with my partner to meet me at homeroom and then we'd get our stuff and walk together to the event. I get to homeroom 15 minutes before the event starts and wait there for 5 minutes. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I get seriously butterfly if my partner is late. I figure he may have forgotten the plan and gone straight to the event 10 minutes early, so I go there, but I'm the first one there and there's no one else there. I get really mad this time and wait around for a couple of minutes and then sprint back to homeroom to grab our stuff (magnifying glass, large binder, field guide) and run as fast as I can back to the event. There are like 2 minutes left until the event starts and my partner is still not there and I am freaking out and dispatch my friend to go find him. While he's gone, I call him a million times and leave many angry voicemails. Then another team member called me saying that he will be late because Pentathalon was running late. I get so mad I start screaming at the phone even though the person I was talking to wasn't even my partner. I had no idea until later that everyone around me who was also waiting for the event was staring at me, along with the event supervisor. I get another call from my friend to tell me that my partner was currently sprinting towards the event and just as we were walking in the door and the evnt was about to start he rushes and through the doors all out of breath. There was mud all over his jeans and his back so I could actually believe him when he said he sprinted. It made my day.
You forgot "OMG OMG OMG WHERE IS MY MAGNIFYING GLASS???? WHO TOOK MY MAGNIFYING GLASS?"
I was rather scared for a moment there... :?
I don't think anyone in my events really cared at all. We were happy cause we medaled (stupid test) but we don't go screaming and crying and whatnot.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Okay- one of the worst part of state is the awards ceremony. I do not look highly upon screaming. I am fond of my eardrums. In 2009, we sat next to the team that won small school division. They screamed incredibly loud and incredibly high-pitched. For every medal. When they were calling off first I knew it was going to be them, so I had to quick cover my ears or risk permanent damage. In 2010, it wasn't quite as bad, but I got pretty ticked at the team sitting in front of us. Screaming + beating us by two points to go to nats. Argh.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
new horizon
State: NJ

Post by new horizon »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Okay- one of the worst part of state is the awards ceremony. I do not look highly upon screaming. I am fond of my eardrums. In 2009, we sat next to the team that won small school division. They screamed incredibly loud and incredibly high-pitched. For every medal. When they were calling off first I knew it was going to be them, so I had to quick cover my ears or risk permanent damage. In 2010, it wasn't quite as bad, but I got pretty ticked at the team sitting in front of us. Screaming + beating us by two points to go to nats. Argh.
Yep that's my team. we won the spirit award.
I'm probably the most un-spirited kid on our team.

Battery buggy, oh we failed, 8th place or so. and then our competitors failed too. lol.
and they made a mistake with JYC and i was like, wooo 20th place ftw!
My coaches smacked me countless times for being pessimistic. :D
3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
State: VA

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

new horizon wrote:
zyzzyva98 wrote:Okay- one of the worst part of state is the awards ceremony. I do not look highly upon screaming. I am fond of my eardrums. In 2009, we sat next to the team that won small school division. They screamed incredibly loud and incredibly high-pitched. For every medal. When they were calling off first I knew it was going to be them, so I had to quick cover my ears or risk permanent damage. In 2010, it wasn't quite as bad, but I got pretty ticked at the team sitting in front of us. Screaming + beating us by two points to go to nats. Argh.
Yep that's my team. we won the spirit award.
I'm probably the most un-spirited kid on our team.

Battery buggy, oh we failed, 8th place or so. and then our competitors failed too. lol.
and they made a mistake with JYC and i was like, wooo 20th place ftl!
My coaches smacked me countless times for being pessimistic. :D
haha 20th place ftl by your opponents
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

In 2008 our team got 6th at state.
The next year, we worked our tails off and were convinced that it would be nearly impossible to win state, although it was our goal. After all the events had finished, the team walked together to the awards ceremony and we concluded that some events didn't go as well as planned so we had lost the national bid. We thought 1st would have required a perfect day to just barely squeak out a victory. We came out of the award ceremony as the state champions for the first time in school history and had the lowest overall score in the last 10+ years of competition history. That was a pretty incredible moment.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m
State: VA

Post by 3nv1r0nm3ntal ch3m »

Paradox21 wrote:In 2008 our team got 6th at state.
The next year, we worked our tails off and were convinced that it would be nearly impossible to win state, although it was our goal. After all the events had finished, the team walked together to the awards ceremony and we concluded that some events didn't go as well as planned so we had lost the national bid. We thought 1st would have required a perfect day to just barely squeak out a victory. We came out of the award ceremony as the state champions for the first time in school history and had the lowest overall score in the last 10+ years of competition history. That was a pretty incredible moment.
Congratulations! my school has never gone to states, but that's partly because I am the only person on my team with a work ethic. I got 2nd in environmental chem at states all by myself, and I was one of only two people from my team to medal at states
frogzorz
State: PA

Post by frogzorz »

HappySciencePie wrote:Oh yeah, there was another really nice memory that didn't concern me at all from states.
On our team, two people were brothers this year. One of them was a ninth grader, and the other was a sevvie (a seventh grader; the Gelinas/Murphy Science Olympiad equivalent of a n00b) whose only event was Trajectory. The sad thing is, whenever I see them having a conversation, at least one of them is yelling at the other. The sevvie's always been talking about how he desperately wanted to medal in Trajectory, because he wanted to prove that he was just as good as his brother, or something like that. And so, at the award ceremony, when they said that we were in 5th place for Trajectory, the ninth grader ran up to the sevvie and hugged him, and they were both so happy. It was cute. <3
In our school, ichaelm is the ninth grader and his little brother (one of my best friends) is the "sevvie". Both are in Trajectory, but ichaelm wasn't in Trajectory that time and the "sevvie" was. He got fourth, but of course, he expected higher.

Good memories: The smoothies at von Liebig were FREAKING AMAZING. I only got raspberry, but next year I am bringing money for three smoothies. They are just too good.

I got pegged by a Frisbee. Since a kid from Hershey came to apologize and pick it up, I assumed it was from HMS. ;)

Ub3rn3rd17 had to go to the bathroom during DyPlan. When I found out, I first spazzed, then I laughed at him and made fun of him for having the bladder of a centenarian. :D
Harriton '15, Penn C'19
Design Manager and Disease Detectives co-supervisor for SOUP 2018
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

frogzorz wrote:Good memories: The smoothies at von Liebig were FREAKING AMAZING. I only got raspberry, but next year I am bringing money for three smoothies. They are just too good.
YES, they are amazing! Haha, funny story: Me and two or three of my teammates were chatting over smoothies in the tiny cafe there, and one (my event partner) decides to go to the bathroom. While's he's there, the rest of us decide it's probably a good idea to also go to the bathroom before our events. When we come back, we can't find him and spend about 10 minutes looking for him in Von Leibig (we can't call him, because no one knows each other's cell phones) before I decide, "Whatever, I'm going to my next event. If he's not there, too bad." Turns out he ditched me and was already at the BAC. I yelled at him both for ditching me and for causing me unneccesary stress.
I got pegged by a Frisbee. Since a kid from Hershey came to apologize and pick it up, I assumed it was from HMS. ;)
Were you sitting under a tree near the BBQ tent with a bunch of WV people at about 2 pm? If so, that was me and several teammates. Apparently, none of us can aim with a frisbee. Sorry about that. :oops:
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Return to “2010 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”