Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: National Qualification

Post by gneissisnice »

Phenylethylamine wrote:
packer-backer91 wrote: So each state would report each teams scores in the event to be put in a computer that would rank every team that went to State's for the whole nation.
Events from different states are not necessarily comparable. It's not practically feasible to give the same test in every state.

Nothing new is being brought up in this thread. You might want to read what others have said before making your argument.
Yeah, a major thing is the list for ID events. If I remember correctly, Forestry had different lists depending on the region, so if I had studied the New York list and went to the California regionals...well, i wouldnt have done very well. So not every state has you learn the same things. Plus, if every region/state used the same event, every tournament would have to be on the same day to prevent people from getting answers, and that's not feasible at all.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by paleonaps »

I agree. It wouldn't be feasible to do that. I think that the system is fine as it is.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Wow. I find it interesting that every time there's a debate about qualifications on this thread the conclusion is always something along the lines of "I think the system is fine as it is."
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

I attribute it to the fact that the system has a lot of thought put into it. Although, it would be nice if a State could send an extra team every time the same teams qualify for two years in a row or more. They did that at my regional- my school has been top 1 for 10 years.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
r00ki316

Post by r00ki316 »

A variable # of teams would make setting a schedule difficult.
I prefer the idea of giving extra spots to States who perform well at Nationals. Say if all teams from a State are in the top 1/3 at Nationals, that state gets an extra team the following year. This would open up the competition a bit more as competitive teams from highly competitive states will have another chance at Nationals, which will boost their programs. Also, it shows the weaker states just how good some of the better states are, which will drive them to get better. 2nd-tier states have gained ground on the 1st-tier (traditionally top 5) teams/states over the past decade. However, mid-tier and lower-tier states/teams have not enjoyed the same success.

Similarly, a state can lose a bonus team if the majority of that state's teams finish in the bottom 1/3.

The equilibrium should end around 70 teams with extra qualifying positions going to the more competitive states.

One possible addition is to offer additional invitations to teams who come within 10 points of the last qualifying spot at State provided no teams from that state finished in the bottom 1/3 at Nationals the previous year and the extra team hadn't been to Nationals the previous 3 years. This is a purely sentimental rule that gives those teams' seniors who've worked so hard for years a chance to go to Nationals.
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

There are probably dozens of ways to divide 60 Nat'l spots to the 5,985 particapating schools but someone (more like 5,925 teams) will be disappointed.

If you are serious about making a difference you only have a few options;

1) study harder
2) form partnerships with other schools in other states to improve your chances of winning in your own state.
3) have your coach contact your State Director so they can feedback to the Nat'l committee you ideas for change
4) start your own multi-State Invitational and don't worry about Nationals.

On the last one...
Here in Ohio we have several (4~5) invitationals that attract some of the best teams in the Nation.
If you want something similar, start your own in your State and invite teams from nearby States.

Finally, before I yield the soapbox, a note about FASA from Texas.
My understanding is that they started having success when an alumni from Solon (a top Nat'l team) started helping them.
When you graduate don't forget to do your part to help others.
You could then have the oppertunity to go to Nat'ls as a coach, parent, or event supervisor if you couldn't do it as a participant.
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Good points, wlsguy. The best way to get to Nationals? Earn it.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

Return to “2010 Nationals”