Storm the Castle B

emaudge14
Division: B
State: PA

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by emaudge14 » February 2nd, 2011, 1:41 pm

trajectoryroxs wrote:
Bubba1960 wrote:Liv, what material is your sling?

ours is denim.

WCarneyJX
Division: C
State: FL

Post by WCarneyJX » February 3rd, 2011, 8:55 am

Ours is denim too. With the edges foled over like a hem. We used super glue to harden a spot int ecenter to attach our release hook to.
River City Science Academy - Florida 2010 Wright Stuff Champs
Coach for:
Storm the Castle
Helicopter

"My kid and my latinum go to Starfleet Academy"

FATVOLZ
State: WI

Post by FATVOLZ » February 4th, 2011, 9:58 am

QWERTYUIOP is the top row of leters on the american keyboard :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora » February 4th, 2011, 2:33 pm

Okay...that was completely irrelevant...anyway. How long does the axle go after it spans the gap?

Liv
State: NY

Post by Liv » February 4th, 2011, 2:49 pm

emaudge14 wrote:For this event, my partner and I built a floating arm trebuchet and are having trouble with the pin on our floating arm. What did you use for it ?(;

Pin angle?
Okay that's to change the trajectory degree of the throw. You can adjust the pin angle to make the trajectory flatter or higher, the optimum angle is 45 degrees I believe.

JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora » February 6th, 2011, 4:54 pm

At what point does the sling release the projectile? And how far does the arm usually go after spanning the gap?

g0lmal
State: MI

Post by g0lmal » February 7th, 2011, 3:56 pm

According to rules, it states that entire device must fit in 75cm cube, does that mean L+W+H=75CM or each side is 75CM. Thank you in adv..

Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy » February 7th, 2011, 6:03 pm

g0lmal wrote:According to rules, it states that entire device must fit in 75cm cube, does that mean L+W+H=75CM or each side is 75CM. Thank you in adv..
It is 75 cm per side.When you think of three cubic feet, each side is 3 feet, not 1 foot (1+1+1=3). This is true here. It would have said L+W+H = 75 is that would be true. Even if it was in order for it to be a cube, each side would be 25 cm (less than a foot). this is way too small for a trebuchet.

mushroomman
State: WI

Post by mushroomman » February 8th, 2011, 8:41 pm

I have the Idea of making a trebuchet that would use a gear and pulley combination to deliver the energy from the falling weight to the throwing arm. (that way I can maximize the throwing arm length and also make the arm move faster using gear ratio's) My partner says that it would be to complicated to work and still wouldn’t beat a F.A.T. What do you guys think??
"Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic... and so am I!"

Friedoyster3
State: IN

Post by Friedoyster3 » February 9th, 2011, 1:17 pm

mushroomman wrote:I have the Idea of making a trebuchet that would use a gear and pulley combination to deliver the energy from the falling weight to the throwing arm. (that way I can maximize the throwing arm length and also make the arm move faster using gear ratio's) My partner says that it would be to complicated to work and still wouldn’t beat a F.A.T. What do you guys think??
That dose seem pretty complicated but if you made it work it would give you that extra 15cm when your arm is verticle that normaly is in for the CW. However that dosen't make a difference because if your arm is set up right that barely matters. Then again you can make the axels closer together (on a FAT) giving you higher accuracy. Plus you could use a specific gear ratio that would give you more power for heavier prjectiles. But, it is very complicated.
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."

Return to “2011 Build Events”