Storm the Castle B

124113
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: April 9th, 2011, 7:30 pm
Division: B
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by 124113 » April 30th, 2011, 7:40 pm

Yep, that is totally legal :!: :!: :!:
confusedhuman wrote:I just wanted to know if i could add weight to my arm(the side with the cw on it). It doesnt break the energy rule does it? I mean as long as the arm doesnt launch without the cw it should be fine right? Since adding weight is just like making the sling arm thinner or making the part with cw bigger... right?

Tramsarran
Member
Member
Posts: 74
Joined: February 13th, 2011, 6:11 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by Tramsarran » April 30th, 2011, 8:18 pm

confusedhuman wrote:I just wanted to know if i could add weight to my arm(the side with the cw on it). It doesnt break the energy rule does it? I mean as long as the arm doesnt launch without the cw it should be fine right? Since adding weight is just like making the sling arm thinner or making the part with cw bigger... right?
It's fine because the arm doesn't launch without the counterweight on it. I'm sure some people have constructed arms that are heavier on the CW side already and have not been disqualified.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

confusedhuman
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: April 30th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Division: B
State: AR
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by confusedhuman » May 1st, 2011, 12:32 pm

I just got two totally different opinions so could somebody please clarify and explain why or why not it is allowed to add more weight to the arm with the cw side as long as it does not go into launch motion without the cw?

confusedhuman
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: April 30th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Division: B
State: AR
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by confusedhuman » May 1st, 2011, 12:42 pm

On a different subject, how far are the F.A.T.s launching? I did pretty horribly at state competition and only launched somewhere around 8.7 meters with 3 kg and a 60g projectile.

User avatar
Liv
Member
Member
Posts: 274
Joined: December 31st, 2008, 8:20 am
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Port Washington, NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by Liv » May 1st, 2011, 1:00 pm

confusedhuman wrote:I just got two totally different opinions so could somebody please clarify and explain why or why not it is allowed to add more weight to the arm with the cw side as long as it does not go into launch motion without the cw?

Okay, I think I know what you mean.


You can add weight onto the arm, as much as you want(however lighter arms are better), as long as the trebuchet doesn't go into a firing position without the counterweight. For example, I went to states a few weeks ago, and during impound I was told the trebuchet was illegal because it went into a firing position without the counterweight, we added weight to the arm to stop the energy, it was fine after that.
confusedhuman wrote:On a different subject, how far are the F.A.T.s launching? I did pretty horribly at state competition and only launched somewhere around 8.7 meters with 3 kg and a 60g projectile.

With 3kg and 60g projectile we are shooting 15 meters.
It can throw 25+ overall.

confusedhuman
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: April 30th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Division: B
State: AR
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by confusedhuman » May 1st, 2011, 2:36 pm

I was actually asking if i could add weight to the part of the arm with the cw on it as long as it doesn't fire. I also wanted to know why or why not it was allowed. By the way 25 plus meters is amazing and i cant imagine getting that much without having to build a new trebuchet.

Tramsarran
Member
Member
Posts: 74
Joined: February 13th, 2011, 6:11 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by Tramsarran » May 10th, 2011, 2:35 pm

confusedhuman wrote:I was actually asking if i could add weight to the part of the arm with the cw on it as long as it doesn't fire. I also wanted to know why or why not it was allowed. By the way 25 plus meters is amazing and i cant imagine getting that much without having to build a new trebuchet.
Yea, you can add weight as long as it doesn't fire without the counterweight. Remember the energy is supposed to come from the counterweight being influenced by gravity. I think it's not allowed because it'd seem as though there is energy stored or something. I'm not sure though.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

confusedhuman
Member
Member
Posts: 8
Joined: April 30th, 2011, 3:57 pm
Division: B
State: AR
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by confusedhuman » May 12th, 2011, 7:26 am

Tramsarran wrote:Yea, you can add weight as long as it doesn't fire without the counterweight. Remember the energy is supposed to come from the counterweight being influenced by gravity. I think it's not allowed because it'd seem as though there is energy stored or something. I'm not sure though.
ummm... sorry, but u just said yes and no in one post. Will i be able to take the weight off at the competition if they don't allow me adding weight? And if i have to will they take points off for a rule violation(if it is one)?

User avatar
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 445
Joined: April 8th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Division: C
State: TX
Location: MINECRAFT!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Contact:

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by brobo » May 15th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I never did get to compete with this at state since it was one of the 5 dropped, but I'm still going to work on my trebuchet over the summer... Just for the heck of it! :D
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.

Tramsarran
Member
Member
Posts: 74
Joined: February 13th, 2011, 6:11 pm
Division: C
State: NY
Location: Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by Tramsarran » May 22nd, 2011, 5:21 pm

confusedhuman wrote:
Tramsarran wrote:Yea, you can add weight as long as it doesn't fire without the counterweight. Remember the energy is supposed to come from the counterweight being influenced by gravity. I think it's not allowed because it'd seem as though there is energy stored or something. I'm not sure though.
ummm... sorry, but u just said yes and no in one post. Will i be able to take the weight off at the competition if they don't allow me adding weight? And if i have to will they take points off for a rule violation(if it is one)?
It's not a rule violation unless the arm fires without the counterweight being attached. If it does launch without the counterweight you'll be bumped into Tier 2.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

Locked

Return to “2011 Build Events”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests