adithyabigal
Division: B
State: NJ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by adithyabigal »

A quick question...

Because the energy rule is very debatable, is it possible to modify your device at the competition if you are in violation of a rule at impound?
For example, if I built a device which violates the energy rule because a wheel is used as a fulcrum to accelerate an unloaded arm without CW or Projectile, would I be allowed to remove the wheel and compete?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

is it possible to modify your device at the competition if you are in violation of a rule at impound?
Since this is an impound event, my best guess is no. There may be some redress in paragraph 4l, depending on how it's interpreted. Is "in order to comply with the rules" part of "in order to make successful launches"?

The rules contain many "requirements", but don't seem to specify penalties if they they are not met. This leaves the interpretation up to each individual event supervisor.

The only way to get a definitive answer is to pose this question to the organizers of each tournament you will be competing in.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
adithyabigal

Post by adithyabigal »

Well, I have competed in Wright Stuff, and in that competition I actually ended up building a new plane at the competition to no objection. I even borrowed a few tools from the supervisor. I doubt I'll be able to build a new trebuchet at the competition, but I hope they wont object to me removing one bolt....
Liv
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Liv »

adithyabigal wrote:Well, I have competed in Wright Stuff, and in that competition I actually ended up building a new plane at the competition to no objection. I even borrowed a few tools from the supervisor. I doubt I'll be able to build a new trebuchet at the competition, but I hope they wont object to me removing one bolt....

The thing is, if you have to make an adjustment or if something breaks while you are competing, you are allowed to do it. Like for example, you can repair a sling IF YOU HAVE THE SUPPLIES ALREADY IMPOUNDED and you can also change the sling IF YOU HAVE THE SLING IMPOUNDED ALREADY.
adithyabigal

Post by adithyabigal »

Can I impound multiple trebuchets? That would really solve my problems...
Friedoyster3
State: IN

Post by Friedoyster3 »

I was at Thomas Jefferson Middle School's regional toady and they had a 2.222 kg CW and a 41.6g projectile. They had placed their target at what I'm guessing to be somewhere for 17-20 meters (granted they were plagued with a bout of 3 miss fires and ended up launching the ball backwards on all three shots). The point is is that if you can come close to that distance you should be set for most regionals if not most state competitions.
University of Michigan Aerospace Engineering
Munster High School, Indiana
2015 Nationals: Bridge 12th; Air Traj 7th; Scrambler 6th; Geo Maps 5th; Team 6th!
"Science Olympiad is, was, and always will be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me."
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by brobo »

adithyabigal wrote:Can I impound multiple trebuchets? That would really solve my problems...
No, one per team.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
pokegman
State: MI

Post by pokegman »

Can you put the guides/rails on the FAT at an angle?
Singh1997
State: OH

Post by Singh1997 »

Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting correctly. I know its kinda late, but is a Murlin trebuchet allowed? It kinda uses stored potential energy, but I am not sure.

Thanks
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by brobo »

pokegman wrote:Can you put the guides/rails on the FAT at an angle?
I don't see why not, but at the same time I don't see why you would want to. You would lose a lot of energy buy angling the rails.
Singh1997 wrote:Hey everyone, I hope I'm posting correctly. I know its kinda late, but is a Murlin trebuchet allowed? It kinda uses stored potential energy, but I am not sure.

Thanks
If it uses ANY stored energy at all then it is not allowed.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.

Return to “2011 Build Events”