Storm the Castle B

Liv
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by Liv »

Tramsarran wrote:Pasteur, from NYC. My teammate who basically did all the building of it thought of using leather and asked me for some but we didn't find any that we could have used.

oh hai, I think I saw some of your teammates during the competition.

yeah, leather is ideal. But if you can, go with a thin leather, not thick.
Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran »

We were one of the teams that didn't have team T-shirts there too. What event did you like watching better? Bottle Rocket or Storn The Castle?
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
Liv

Post by Liv »

Tramsarran wrote:We were one of the teams that didn't have team T-shirts there too. What event did you like watching better? Bottle Rocket or Storn The Castle?
Oh definitely, Storm The Castle, I have tons of pictures of the event..

(this is getting a little bit off- topic)
Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran »

It's also nice to know that the crowd sitting on the bleachers left when my partner and I were setting up our trebuchet. Didn't get embarrased too much. I'm using my EDGE cell phone to make these posts.
Liv

Post by Liv »

Tramsarran wrote:It's also nice to know that the crowd sitting on the bleachers left when my partner and I were setting up our trebuchet. Didn't get embarrased too much.

Bahahahaha xD, the proctor was hilarious, it made my day. And (unfortunately) we had a large crowd... and also more than half of my team was there... it was quite embarrassing.
Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran »

The proctor asked me who Louis Pasteur was. I told him that Pastuer was the father of bacteriology. The proctor thought I said the father if all BACTERIA. Thus, he breeded all the bacteria in the world.
Singh1997
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Singh1997 »

Hey guys, quick question. We wasted a lot of time between regionals and states, and now we have one week left. We are in Ohio, so I realized a traditional trebuchet won't cut it. As of now, I have about 60% of a FAT done, and I can definitely finish by Wednesday. How important is a FAT? Also, what wheels did you guys use? Sorry if that question has been asked before.
JSGandora
State: NJ

Post by JSGandora »

Any kind of wheels would work. I used skateboard wheels. The FAT is pretty important, it usually comes out on top.
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

Singh1997 wrote:.... How important is a FAT? ......
In Ohio many of the State Bound teams use FATs. This is quite a bit of change from 2006 when only about 25% of the teams did and the 2nd place team used a traditional treb (with some extra special tricks). Without a FAT, you will not likely place top 6.
Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran »

Nice.
I didn't get to build the trebuchet and my partner who built it with the help of his dad built some lazy traditional (c-word). Shot tennis balls, hand balls, and a golf ball about 4.5m, 6m and 7m with a 2.5kg counterweight. We shot the projectile at States 5m while other teams were getting around 20. I only learned what a FAT was after the competition. Next year I better use that, especially in New York. It was embarrasing because I impounded and talked to the proctor about it.
Good luck, and I'm sorry I don't have enough experience to help you. BTW, what distances are you expecting to get from it? I can help you make the graph if you think you'll need it to impress the judges or you just wanna look smart and prepared.

Return to “2011 Build Events”