Storm the Castle B

Singh1997
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by Singh1997 »

Thanks, I hopefully will finish tonight then. At the moment, our farthest launch is only about 11-12 meters, and our launch at regionals, only about 6 meters, got us fourth, as we knew how to adjust it. Still though, that was only with 2 floating arm trebuchets, both placing ahead of us. I assume for states, the CW will be relatively low, probably 1-2 kg, so I was hoping to be able to get something 17-20 meters. That would be ideal, and according to my research, that shouldn't be too difficult with tuning, which I am quite familiar with, after building 2 trebuchets by myself.
Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Tramsarran »

At NY States the counterweight was either 2.3kg or 2.5kg; I think it was the latter but I'm not so certain. 11-12 meters is quite good compared to what my partner's trebuchet can get. The arm we used was really heavy as it was just carved out of wood. Out of curiosity, how does your arm look like and can you post a picture of the trebuchet to the gallery? I never got a good look at a trebuchet that gets good distance and all that I observed from States was that the ones with really light arms did well. Didn't notice any major differences between them because I was too lazy to look carefully.
Last edited by Tramsarran on April 27th, 2011, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
State: WI

Post by 124113 »

Okay, so here's the thing, YOU CAN'T USE CATAPULTS. They use alastic enery, not potenial. Mabye you just did a type-o, but you said catapult twice. For the arm you could use metel.
Tramsarran wrote:At NY States the counterweight was either 2.3kg or 2.5kg; I think it was the latter but I'm not so certain. 11-12 meters is quite good compared to what my partner's catapult can get. The arm we used was really heavy as it was just carved out of wood. Out of curiosity, how does your arm look like and can you post a picture of the trebuchet to the gallery? I never got a good look at a catapult that gets good distance and all that I observed from States was that the ones with really light arms did well. Didn't notice any major differences between them because I was too lazy to look carefully.
wlsguy
Division: Grad

Post by wlsguy »

Singh1997 wrote:....I assume for states, the CW will be relatively low, probably 1-2 kg, so I was hoping to be able to get something 17-20 meters. ....
In Ohio, they are running Storm in the French Fieldhouse. 46' ceiling and more than enough distance for ANY counterweight.
In 2006~2007 the counterweight was 1.2kg and the ball was something like 25g. 2nd place shot ~17m
In 2007~2008 the CW was 2.5kg and the ball was around 45g. 5th place shot ~23m

I guess I'm recommending you be prepared for any counterweight / projectile combination
Singh1997

Post by Singh1997 »

Interesting, thanks for that information about Ohio in the past few years. The only wheels I could find for the arm were

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CE0Q8gIwAg#

Would those be ok for the arm? I was looking for smaller, but they were the only ones I could find.
Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Tramsarran »

124113 wrote:Okay, so here's the thing, YOU CAN'T USE CATAPULTS. They use alastic enery, not potenial. Mabye you just did a type-o, but you said catapult twice. For the arm you could use metel.
Tramsarran wrote:At NY States the counterweight was either 2.3kg or 2.5kg; I think it was the latter but I'm not so certain. 11-12 meters is quite good compared to what my partner's catapult can get. The arm we used was really heavy as it was just carved out of wood. Out of curiosity, how does your arm look like and can you post a picture of the trebuchet to the gallery? I never got a good look at a catapult that gets good distance and all that I observed from States was that the ones with really light arms did well. Didn't notice any major differences between them because I was too lazy to look carefully.
Oops. I constantly make this mistake because my partner is always calling the device a catapult along with many other people who saw it or heard about Storm The Castle but didn't participate in it. I don't know what type of wood he used for it but it definitely wasn't light.
Last edited by Tramsarran on April 29th, 2011, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
Singh1997

Post by Singh1997 »

If you're still wondering, for the arm, I used probably a 3/4 inch poplar square, and I reinforced the CW arm with sheets of metal, to make sure wood did not break. Extremely light arm that can hold 3 kilos no problem, but isn't too heavy for the lighter CW.
Bennett
State: WI

Post by Bennett »

Those of you going to state this weekend/ April 30th,for Wisconsin good luck and I will see you there!
STORM THE CASTLE IS THE BEST!
havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

Yes! We got 3rd in this STC at states!
Last edited by havenguy on May 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
confusedhuman
State: AR

Post by confusedhuman »

I just wanted to know if i could add weight to my arm(the side with the cw on it). It doesnt break the energy rule does it? I mean as long as the arm doesnt launch without the cw it should be fine right? Since adding weight is just like making the sling arm thinner or making the part with cw bigger... right?

Return to “2011 Build Events”