Storm the Castle B

Division: B
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by 124113 »

Yep, that is totally legal :!: :!: :!:
confusedhuman wrote:I just wanted to know if i could add weight to my arm(the side with the cw on it). It doesnt break the energy rule does it? I mean as long as the arm doesnt launch without the cw it should be fine right? Since adding weight is just like making the sling arm thinner or making the part with cw bigger... right?
Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Tramsarran »

confusedhuman wrote:I just wanted to know if i could add weight to my arm(the side with the cw on it). It doesnt break the energy rule does it? I mean as long as the arm doesnt launch without the cw it should be fine right? Since adding weight is just like making the sling arm thinner or making the part with cw bigger... right?
It's fine because the arm doesn't launch without the counterweight on it. I'm sure some people have constructed arms that are heavier on the CW side already and have not been disqualified.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.
confusedhuman
State: AR

Post by confusedhuman »

I just got two totally different opinions so could somebody please clarify and explain why or why not it is allowed to add more weight to the arm with the cw side as long as it does not go into launch motion without the cw?
confusedhuman

Post by confusedhuman »

On a different subject, how far are the F.A.T.s launching? I did pretty horribly at state competition and only launched somewhere around 8.7 meters with 3 kg and a 60g projectile.
Liv

Post by Liv »

confusedhuman wrote:I just got two totally different opinions so could somebody please clarify and explain why or why not it is allowed to add more weight to the arm with the cw side as long as it does not go into launch motion without the cw?

Okay, I think I know what you mean.

You can add weight onto the arm, as much as you want(however lighter arms are better), as long as the trebuchet doesn't go into a firing position without the counterweight. For example, I went to states a few weeks ago, and during impound I was told the trebuchet was illegal because it went into a firing position without the counterweight, we added weight to the arm to stop the energy, it was fine after that.
confusedhuman wrote:On a different subject, how far are the F.A.T.s launching? I did pretty horribly at state competition and only launched somewhere around 8.7 meters with 3 kg and a 60g projectile.

With 3kg and 60g projectile we are shooting 15 meters.
It can throw 25+ overall.
confusedhuman

Post by confusedhuman »

I was actually asking if i could add weight to the part of the arm with the cw on it as long as it doesn't fire. I also wanted to know why or why not it was allowed. By the way 25 plus meters is amazing and i cant imagine getting that much without having to build a new trebuchet.
Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran »

confusedhuman wrote:I was actually asking if i could add weight to the part of the arm with the cw on it as long as it doesn't fire. I also wanted to know why or why not it was allowed. By the way 25 plus meters is amazing and i cant imagine getting that much without having to build a new trebuchet.
Yea, you can add weight as long as it doesn't fire without the counterweight. Remember the energy is supposed to come from the counterweight being influenced by gravity. I think it's not allowed because it'd seem as though there is energy stored or something. I'm not sure though.
confusedhuman

Post by confusedhuman »

Tramsarran wrote:Yea, you can add weight as long as it doesn't fire without the counterweight. Remember the energy is supposed to come from the counterweight being influenced by gravity. I think it's not allowed because it'd seem as though there is energy stored or something. I'm not sure though.
ummm... sorry, but u just said yes and no in one post. Will i be able to take the weight off at the competition if they don't allow me adding weight? And if i have to will they take points off for a rule violation(if it is one)?
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by brobo »

I never did get to compete with this at state since it was one of the 5 dropped, but I'm still going to work on my trebuchet over the summer... Just for the heck of it! :D
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
Tramsarran

Post by Tramsarran »

confusedhuman wrote:
Tramsarran wrote:Yea, you can add weight as long as it doesn't fire without the counterweight. Remember the energy is supposed to come from the counterweight being influenced by gravity. I think it's not allowed because it'd seem as though there is energy stored or something. I'm not sure though.
ummm... sorry, but u just said yes and no in one post. Will i be able to take the weight off at the competition if they don't allow me adding weight? And if i have to will they take points off for a rule violation(if it is one)?
It's not a rule violation unless the arm fires without the counterweight being attached. If it does launch without the counterweight you'll be bumped into Tier 2.

Return to “2011 Build Events”