Storm the Castle B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Storm the Castle B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME
Been thanked: 0

Re: Storm the Castle B

Post by starpug »

This was by far my favorite event when I was in B Division.

Assuming that the energy rule is still around (I don't see why it wouldn't be) a typical FAT is the way to go for this event (google it)
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

Here's a brief rundown of the event for 2011 (Maybe not so brief!):

...1..Powered by falling mass (counterweight & projectiles only)
...2..Projectiles, counterweight, & target supplied by event supervisor
......a..Exact Mass & size not known before competition
......b..May not be modified by contestants
......c..Device must be constructed to accommodate
...3..Counterweight
......a..1-3kg
......b..Counterweight & hook fit in 15cm cube (be prepared for diagonal fit dimensions)
......c..Hook - use is optional
......d..To insure hook fits the device (this is not scoreable, but counterweight may not fit otherwise)
............1).Must have hole at least 9mm dia.
............2).Edge of hole must be no more than 1cm from edge of material
............3).Material must be no more than 6.5mm thick
...4..Projectiles
......a..20-60g
......b..Approximately spherical
......c..No larger than 6cm dia.
......d..Multiple projectiles (if used) will have similar size, shape & mass.
...5..Target
......a..20cm x 20cm x 20cm
......b..Open Top
...6..Entire device (including counterweight & projectile) must fit in 75cm cube when ready-to-fire
...7..Must automatically return to within launch area after each shot
...8..Trigger
......a..is not part of device
......b..May extend out of launch area (before, during &after launch)
......c..May use battery power
......d..May not use radio control (Safety Hazard)
...9..Devices may be modified (using only tools & supplies impounded)
...10. 5 minutes, 3 launches, no practice shots
...11. Need Z87+ (high impact) eye protection (Does not specify type)

Somewhere in the archives, there may be a lengthy discussion on the use of the various types of trebuchets. While it may be possible to build a FAT that complies with the energy rule, complying with the sentence in lines 5 & 6 of Para. 3.f makes it questionable whether it could be viable.
(Edit: I found the info on the energy rule. I have not validated it against the current rules.)

Be sure to read the rules extra carefully. There are lots of pitfalls where you can mis-interpret things. Make sure you understand the "energy rule" (Para. 5.f). This has historically been one of the things teams get burned on.

Caveat Emptor! This is not the rules. Be sure to double-check yourself once you get them. I've tried not to make interpretations and to identify them when I do.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: TX

Post by brobo »

For a FAT trebuchet, would it be better to have the wheels up high on the arm, close to the counterwieght, or down lower?

I'm just wondering because I'm about to start working, but I don't know which would give it more launching power.
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
wlsguy
State: OH

Post by wlsguy »

The ratio between short and long arm length, wheel position, and sling length are what makes this event a challenge. It's hard to say what will work best for your individual design. You may want to try to read over any previous (archived) posts. They have some good information.
brobo
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by brobo »

Thanks, but I didn't see anything in the OBB. I guess it'll be a matter of trial and error, which I think this event is a lot of.

Does anyone know how wind may effect the event? Will it be held indoors? Or does the wind usually not play a large factor in this event?
Image--Texas!

brobo's Userpage

"Let's put all our differences behind us, for science. You monster."

Ubuntu is awesome.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

robodude wrote:For a FAT trebuchet, would it be better to have the wheels up high on the arm, close to the counterwieght, or down lower?

I'm just wondering because I'm about to start working, but I don't know which would give it more launching power.
I would think you'd want it to be at a height so that when the arm is perfectly vertical, the CW just barely doesn't touch the bottom of the device. Any higher and the counterweight hits during launch, wasting energy, any lower and you waste energy by not using all the height allotted to you in the rules.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

robodude wrote:Thanks, but I didn't see anything in the OBB. I guess it'll be a matter of trial and error, which I think this event is a lot of.

Does anyone know how wind may effect the event? Will it be held indoors? Or does the wind usually not play a large factor in this event?
Not all of them, but some of the OBB threads on STC:
http://scioly.org/obbarchive/board.php? ... event=STCB
http://scioly.org/obbarchive/board.php? ... event=STCC
there are more in here, but since search is broken, you kinda have to sift
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

I miss this event
So much better than trajectory
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
old
State: CA

Post by old »

wlsguy wrote:The ratio between short and long arm length, wheel position, and sling length are what makes this event a challenge. It's hard to say what will work best for your individual design. You may want to try to read over any previous (archived) posts. They have some good information.
There is no single ratio of these variables that will work over a range of projectiles and falling masses. If you want to make the device work throughout the range of possibilities than you need to have the ability to adjust these ratios. The issue then becomes the huge amount of testing needed

Return to “2011 Build Events”