Storm the Castle B

Singh1997
Division: B
State: OH

Re: Storm the Castle B

Postby Singh1997 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks, I hopefully will finish tonight then. At the moment, our farthest launch is only about 11-12 meters, and our launch at regionals, only about 6 meters, got us fourth, as we knew how to adjust it. Still though, that was only with 2 floating arm trebuchets, both placing ahead of us. I assume for states, the CW will be relatively low, probably 1-2 kg, so I was hoping to be able to get something 17-20 meters. That would be ideal, and according to my research, that shouldn't be too difficult with tuning, which I am quite familiar with, after building 2 trebuchets by myself.

Tramsarran
Division: C
State: NY

Postby Tramsarran » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:12 pm

At NY States the counterweight was either 2.3kg or 2.5kg; I think it was the latter but I'm not so certain. 11-12 meters is quite good compared to what my partner's trebuchet can get. The arm we used was really heavy as it was just carved out of wood. Out of curiosity, how does your arm look like and can you post a picture of the trebuchet to the gallery? I never got a good look at a trebuchet that gets good distance and all that I observed from States was that the ones with really light arms did well. Didn't notice any major differences between them because I was too lazy to look carefully.
Last edited by Tramsarran on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goodbye Science Olympiad, until next year.

State: WI

Postby 124113 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Okay, so here's the thing, YOU CAN'T USE CATAPULTS. They use alastic enery, not potenial. Mabye you just did a type-o, but you said catapult twice. For the arm you could use metel.

Tramsarran wrote:At NY States the counterweight was either 2.3kg or 2.5kg; I think it was the latter but I'm not so certain. 11-12 meters is quite good compared to what my partner's catapult can get. The arm we used was really heavy as it was just carved out of wood. Out of curiosity, how does your arm look like and can you post a picture of the trebuchet to the gallery? I never got a good look at a catapult that gets good distance and all that I observed from States was that the ones with really light arms did well. Didn't notice any major differences between them because I was too lazy to look carefully.

wlsguy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Postby wlsguy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:52 am

Singh1997 wrote:....I assume for states, the CW will be relatively low, probably 1-2 kg, so I was hoping to be able to get something 17-20 meters. ....

In Ohio, they are running Storm in the French Fieldhouse. 46' ceiling and more than enough distance for ANY counterweight.
In 2006~2007 the counterweight was 1.2kg and the ball was something like 25g. 2nd place shot ~17m
In 2007~2008 the CW was 2.5kg and the ball was around 45g. 5th place shot ~23m

I guess I'm recommending you be prepared for any counterweight / projectile combination

Singh1997

Postby Singh1997 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:52 am

Interesting, thanks for that information about Ohio in the past few years. The only wheels I could find for the arm were

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... E0Q8gIwAg#

Would those be ok for the arm? I was looking for smaller, but they were the only ones I could find.

Tramsarran

Postby Tramsarran » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:24 am

124113 wrote:Okay, so here's the thing, YOU CAN'T USE CATAPULTS. They use alastic enery, not potenial. Mabye you just did a type-o, but you said catapult twice. For the arm you could use metel.

Tramsarran wrote:At NY States the counterweight was either 2.3kg or 2.5kg; I think it was the latter but I'm not so certain. 11-12 meters is quite good compared to what my partner's catapult can get. The arm we used was really heavy as it was just carved out of wood. Out of curiosity, how does your arm look like and can you post a picture of the trebuchet to the gallery? I never got a good look at a catapult that gets good distance and all that I observed from States was that the ones with really light arms did well. Didn't notice any major differences between them because I was too lazy to look carefully.

Oops. I constantly make this mistake because my partner is always calling the device a catapult along with many other people who saw it or heard about Storm The Castle but didn't participate in it. I don't know what type of wood he used for it but it definitely wasn't light.
Last edited by Tramsarran on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Singh1997

Postby Singh1997 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:42 am

If you're still wondering, for the arm, I used probably a 3/4 inch poplar square, and I reinforced the CW arm with sheets of metal, to make sure wood did not break. Extremely light arm that can hold 3 kilos no problem, but isn't too heavy for the lighter CW.

Bennett

Postby Bennett » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Those of you going to state this weekend/ April 30th,for Wisconsin good luck and I will see you there!
STORM THE CASTLE IS THE BEST!

havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA

Postby havenguy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Yes! We got 3rd in this STC at states!
Last edited by havenguy on Tue May 03, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th

confusedhuman
State: AR

Postby confusedhuman » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:41 pm

I just wanted to know if i could add weight to my arm(the side with the cw on it). It doesnt break the energy rule does it? I mean as long as the arm doesnt launch without the cw it should be fine right? Since adding weight is just like making the sling arm thinner or making the part with cw bigger... right?

Postby 124113 » Sun May 01, 2011 2:40 am

Yep, that is totally legal :!: :!: :!:

confusedhuman wrote:I just wanted to know if i could add weight to my arm(the side with the cw on it). It doesnt break the energy rule does it? I mean as long as the arm doesnt launch without the cw it should be fine right? Since adding weight is just like making the sling arm thinner or making the part with cw bigger... right?

Tramsarran

Postby Tramsarran » Sun May 01, 2011 3:18 am

confusedhuman wrote:I just wanted to know if i could add weight to my arm(the side with the cw on it). It doesnt break the energy rule does it? I mean as long as the arm doesnt launch without the cw it should be fine right? Since adding weight is just like making the sling arm thinner or making the part with cw bigger... right?

It's fine because the arm doesn't launch without the counterweight on it. I'm sure some people have constructed arms that are heavier on the CW side already and have not been disqualified.

confusedhuman

Postby confusedhuman » Sun May 01, 2011 7:32 pm

I just got two totally different opinions so could somebody please clarify and explain why or why not it is allowed to add more weight to the arm with the cw side as long as it does not go into launch motion without the cw?

confusedhuman

Postby confusedhuman » Sun May 01, 2011 7:42 pm

On a different subject, how far are the F.A.T.s launching? I did pretty horribly at state competition and only launched somewhere around 8.7 meters with 3 kg and a 60g projectile.

Liv

Postby Liv » Sun May 01, 2011 8:00 pm

confusedhuman wrote:I just got two totally different opinions so could somebody please clarify and explain why or why not it is allowed to add more weight to the arm with the cw side as long as it does not go into launch motion without the cw?

Okay, I think I know what you mean.

You can add weight onto the arm, as much as you want(however lighter arms are better), as long as the trebuchet doesn't go into a firing position without the counterweight. For example, I went to states a few weeks ago, and during impound I was told the trebuchet was illegal because it went into a firing position without the counterweight, we added weight to the arm to stop the energy, it was fine after that.

confusedhuman wrote:On a different subject, how far are the F.A.T.s launching? I did pretty horribly at state competition and only launched somewhere around 8.7 meters with 3 kg and a 60g projectile.

With 3kg and 60g projectile we are shooting 15 meters.
It can throw 25+ overall.

Return to “2011 Build Events”