Junkyard Challenge B

mnstrviola
WikiMod Emeritus
WikiMod Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: CA

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Postby mnstrviola » February 16th, 2011, 4:07 pm

I have a solution to the height problem in towers. It is possible to use leftover materials in your box to create something that one can place the ball upon, pick up with one's arm, raise, and then tilt so that the ball falls into the cup on top of the tower. An extension of the arm if one will call it so.
Nice Idea! Although, I think it would be easier to build something to stand on.

Littleboy
Division: C
State: MI

Postby Littleboy » February 16th, 2011, 5:36 pm

Or would this work, Build the tower in multiple pieces. put cup+ball on top of the uppermost piece, and quickly connect the pieces together in the 2 minute time?

wlsguy
State: OH

Postby wlsguy » February 17th, 2011, 4:57 am

Or would this work, Build the tower in multiple pieces. put cup+ball on top of the uppermost piece, and quickly connect the pieces together in the 2 minute time?
You are not allowed to "modify" your tower after the inital 30 minute building time so this could be a problem. Also the rules state you need to place the cup then it is measured then place the ball. This would indicate it it must be built completely.

I think it would be funny to build something so tall the judges couldn't measure it without knocking it down. They would then need to use a ladder. Since the judges are allowed to place the ball, you could then have them place the ball when they are up there.

fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: VA

Postby fishman100 » February 24th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Yeah make sure you and the event supervisors know the rules front and back.

My team (more like my partner and I) had to take off part of our tower at an invitational because we "weren't allowed to place the ball", only drop. If we placed the ball with the full height we would have placed 1st or 2nd. :cry:
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15

XJcwolfyX

Postby XJcwolfyX » February 28th, 2011, 7:44 pm

What are the scores that everyone is getting for the Elevated Ramp, the Catapult, and the Bouncer.
Medal Counter: 73

--[Grand]--
Division: B
State: CA

Postby --[Grand]-- » February 28th, 2011, 8:33 pm

How far have you guys been able to launch with catapault / bouncer?

mtheleman
State: KS

Postby mtheleman » March 2nd, 2011, 12:08 pm

We are having more success with the catapult. We are looking at 8 plus meters. We tried a fixed platform for bouncer, but the device gives too much when impacted by the ball. Has anyone tried a spring loaded platform that would throw the ball? (For bouncer.)
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.

The Architect
State: VT

Postby The Architect » March 2nd, 2011, 1:17 pm

We are having more success with the catapult. We are looking at 8 plus meters. We tried a fixed platform for bouncer, but the device gives too much when impacted by the ball. Has anyone tried a spring loaded platform that would throw the ball? (For bouncer.)
What Exactly Do You Mean? How Would One Create A Spring Using Styrofoam And Such Materials?
Science, yeah!

Made a new team. 7th place at NH states. Officially the champions of Vermont.

2015-2016 Events:
Air Trajectory, It's About Time, EXPD, and WIDI.

mtheleman
State: KS

Postby mtheleman » March 3rd, 2011, 5:41 am

What Exactly Do You Mean? How Would One Create A Spring Using Styrofoam And Such Materials?
Imagine a 2' cube made out of straws or craft sticks. The top has a platform made out of a similar material. The top has a hinge on one side that is made out of rubber bands. They are adjusted so the top wants to remain vertical. To make it lay on top of the cube it becomes "spring loaded." You have some type of trigger that goes off on impact of the ball hitting the top.
Michael Phelps trains with Chuck Norris swimming behind him.

rkoopma2
State: MI

Postby rkoopma2 » March 3rd, 2011, 11:30 am

Is there anybody who is still working on the bridge/cantilever/tower? My regional is not for 2 more weeks. I placed 12th at invitationals because I did not have a "free standing" cup. this appartently does not just mean that the cup can't be taped down, it can't be leaning against anything either. otherwise, I would have placed second
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

Return to “2011 Build Events”