wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Post by wlsguy »

sciolygrl258 wrote:Does anyone know if duck brand duct tape metallic?? :?: :?:
Duct tape is normally made with plastic (vinyl), cloth strands (cotton), and adhesive.
It is not magnetic and not metallic BUT, it is unclear if the prohibition on metallic tape is intended prevent duct tape from being used.

The only truely metallic tape I am aware of is used for heater ducts (hence the confusion) but is actually called muffler tape.

Maybe you should submit a clarification if you plan to use duct tape so you can find out the intent
rkoopma2
Division: C
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 »

so far:
Bridge: 123" (10'3")
Tower: 82" (6'10")
Cantilever: 6'0" (72")

all held all three balls, all built in thirty minutes with materials that fit in box with appropriate dimensions :D

Go Hamilton (MI) :lol:
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan
disownedpear
Division: B
State: MD

Post by disownedpear »

new tower height:109 inches
we have the answer to life, the universe, and everything
ImageNorth Bethesda middle school Image
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

how do you guys get your balls up on the top of the tower? The Soinc FAQs say that you cant stand on a chair or someones shoulders and that stuff but then we have trouble getting the balls on the top
our bridge is excellent.
Freyssenet
State: CA

Post by Freyssenet »

I understand a ladder will be made available to place the cup & ball if asked to build a tower...
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

And I quote from the soinc FAQs
01/11/2011 - 15:14 Will students be allowed to stand on a chair or on a team mate's back or shoulders to place a ball on top of their tower, so that the team's tower is not limited by the height of the student?
No, for safety reasons, students may not stand on a chair, ladder, table, shoulders, or anything else to place the ball on a tower. However, students may ask the event supervisor to place the ball but that will be at the student's risk and if the event supervisor agrees to place the ball on the tower.
So basiccly the tallest you can make a tower is as high as the tallest person can reach/jump/ stand on tip toes. I really hope that it won't be a tower. I sounds quite un fair, if a team is able to make a structure that tall, let them, don't make it limited by height.
Freyssenet
State: CA

Post by Freyssenet »

Littleboy wrote:And I quote from the soinc FAQs
01/11/2011 - 15:14 Will students be allowed to stand on a chair or on a team mate's back or shoulders to place a ball on top of their tower, so that the team's tower is not limited by the height of the student?
No, for safety reasons, students may not stand on a chair, ladder, table, shoulders, or anything else to place the ball on a tower. However, students may ask the event supervisor to place the ball but that will be at the student's risk and if the event supervisor agrees to place the ball on the tower.
So basiccly the tallest you can make a tower is as high as the tallest person can reach/jump/ stand on tip toes. I really hope that it won't be a tower. I sounds quite un fair, if a team is able to make a structure that tall, let them, don't make it limited by height.
Well, it seems there may be some differences. In San Diego a ladder will be provided, see: http://www.sandiegoso.org/divb2011/div_b_junk.html

Hence, It is good idea o check with the event coordinator in your region.
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

Ok i will try that.
Does anyone know how this event is run so that other teams can't copy ideas? Will each team be in their own separate room to build and test? or will it be 1 big room (like a gym)for everyone to see everything? I am worried with other teams copying us.
penclspinner

Post by penclspinner »

Littleboy wrote:Ok i will try that.
Does anyone know how this event is run so that other teams can't copy ideas? Will each team be in their own separate room to build and test? or will it be 1 big room (like a gym)for everyone to see everything? I am worried with other teams copying us.
There are several ways to run this event, the only difference being available space and how many volunteers are present.
The most common way that I've seen is where everyone is in the same room working together separated by 3-4 feet of space on all sides from other competitors.

Usually the only people who would be inclined to copy others are the ones who are not prepared at all and have absolutely no idea what to do. Other teams have a set strategy and will tend to stick with it and try to complete it as soon as possible. I guess if you were really worried about others copying you, you could attempt to shield your device with the bodies of your teammates but I don't really think it'll be an issue.
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

But our bridge and somewhat our cantilever and tower we need space to work and i doubt that we will have enough that way... oh well
By the way, I bet our bridge would easily place in the top 5 at nats, all we have to do is make there and have to build it.
Last edited by Littleboy on February 14th, 2011, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2011 Build Events”