Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Post by fishman100 »

Alright, I'll bite :P

Bridge Create 2 huge posts out of cups. Roll a wad of paper and place rubber bands around it and attach it to the posts. This acts as a counterweight. Then, take the remaining paper and stuff it under the front of each post so it's angled upwards. Take a long piece of string and attach it to the 2 tips of the bridge. Now, use a cup and snip 4 short pieces of string and attach them at equal intervals around the plate. Loop the top so you can easily slide it on/off the center of the bridge. Then, place your cup/ball on. The longest we've had was 17 meters.

Tower Make the longest chain of cups stacked together you can make. Take 4 cups and fill it with all the balls except for the one you have to place on top. Tape pieces of string to the middle and top of the tower to act like support beams and connect it to each end of the cup. It should be balanced. Now make a tube of paper and tape a popsicle stick to the end. Lightly attach tape and make it like a handle to the cup, then use your "paper arm" to place the cup on top. We got a 5 meter tower at our highest.

Cantilever Honestly, we didn't really practice for that one :P So no suggestions to be had here.

Ramp Oh, my favorite <3 Take your cups and arrange them in 2 towers, one 3x the height of the other. Make 2 heights for each tower, so you have 2 short towers and 2 tall towers. Connect them. Now take 2 extremely thin pieces of tape and run each length to each side of the towers. Using your paper, connect them horizontally to the tape, slightly overlapping them. Use the weighted paper thing like I explained in Bridge to weigh down the towers. As you roll the (golf balls) down, they gain a lot of speed so place your bucket far back. We got 10 meters :D

Catapult Create 2 towers, each 3 cups high. Make an arm out of popsicle sticks and duct tape, and create a shorter arm perpendicular to the longer arm. Take the shorter arm and connect it to a straw and connect the straw to the cups so it can rotate freely. For the trigger, tie a piece of string to one end of the shorter arm and wrap it around the cups.
This model isn't too accurate, and your success depends on where and how hard you hold the base. I held it too hard at Nats and as a result we only hit 2/5 plastic golf balls. I finally figured it out after we launched the 3rd >.<

Bouncer One word: yuck.
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

i really like your ramp and catapult ideas XD

i remember a little bit more of my catapult. the arm was made of the base of a styrofoam cup to hold the ball, and popsicle sticks as the arm.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by fishman100 »

Here's some info on my cantilever:

Create a base with whatever materials you have, then use some cups to make the arm. With luck you'll be able to get a good spot where you can balance the cup/ball :P

I think our longest was 370 cm? :/
NYLHVSSO
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by NYLHVSSO »

I never competed in this event, but I practiced for it and was kicked out a few weeks before Regionals (because of space/team constraints).

I think that the best way to make a cantilever (and the way I would do it) is to take a plastic bag (if you have one) and stuff some tennis balls and golf balls into it to make the counterweight. Also, at the end of the cantilever where the cup and the ball are meant to be, I usually put a paper plate with a 90 degree bend and secure it with some tape. This is because cantilevers are likely to sag more than 15 degrees.
2014 New York City Div C Regionals
2012 New York Div B States
2012 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
2011 Lower Hudson Div B Regionals
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

NYLHVSSO wrote:I never competed in this event, but I practiced for it and was kicked out a few weeks before Regionals (because of space/team constraints).

I think that the best way to make a cantilever (and the way I would do it) is to take a plastic bag (if you have one) and stuff some tennis balls and golf balls into it to make the counterweight. Also, at the end of the cantilever where the cup and the ball are meant to be, I usually put a paper plate with a 90 degree bend and secure it with some tape. This is because cantilevers are likely to sag more than 15 degrees.
we are able to shoot 7 meters. however, the arm got bent becuase of the humidity( it was a paper arm) so we only got sixth :( so what happened was it hit the plate first time no problem, then it shot like half a meter short the rest of the times
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:
NYLHVSSO wrote:I never competed in this event, but I practiced for it and was kicked out a few weeks before Regionals (because of space/team constraints).

we are able to shoot 7 meters. however, the arm got bent becuase of the humidity( it was a paper arm) so we only got sixth :( so what happened was it hit the plate first time no problem, then it shot like half a meter short the rest of the times
fishman, ur asian!!!!
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by fishman100 »

Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:
Cheese_Muffin_Man wrote:

fishman, ur asian!!!!
Yes I am...random much?
Cheese_Muffin_Man

i am the one with the light blue tie next to the girl with the light blue shirt.
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by fishman100 »

7 meters? With a paper arm? how did you build that???
Cheese_Muffin_Man

fishman100 wrote:7 meters? With a paper arm? how did you build that???
our design is very complex. u can believe that i shot seven meters becuase i would have had to have gotten a long distance given the fact i got sixth place with only one hit of the plate. Understand? i will tell u my design, i have to ask my partner first.

Return to “2011 Build Events”