Junkyard Challenge B

Paleonops
Division: B
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Post by Paleonops »

Paleonops wrote:Also is there a clarification that said we had to hit the plate because at our practice competition, the proctor said if you can make it past the plate, you get the distance score but only once??
'Tis true. If you can get the Distance but miss the plate every single launch then you only get the distance score,not the bonus points.~Fishman100

Well,I thought if you made it past, you would actually receive the bonus once instead of participation unless reach meant hitting the target???
Paleonops

Post by Paleonops »

Did anyone use tennis balls or golf balls instead of practice golf balls? Did the winning team hit all or almost all????????? :?: :?: :?: :?:
XJcwolfyX
Division: C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

I used tennis balls, hit twice, and got 7th place.
Medal Counter: 73
Paleonops

Post by Paleonops »

XJcwolfyX wrote:I used tennis balls, hit twice, and got 7th place.
what was your distance??
fishman100
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: VA

Post by fishman100 »

Paleonops wrote:
Paleonops wrote:Also is there a clarification that said we had to hit the plate because at our practice competition, the proctor said if you can make it past the plate, you get the distance score but only once??
'Tis true. If you can get the Distance but miss the plate every single launch then you only get the distance score,not the bonus points.~Fishman100

Well,I thought if you made it past, you would actually receive the bonus once instead of participation unless reach meant hitting the target???
Nope.

Bonus points are given for each ball hitting the plate on 1st bounce/impact. If you have at least 1 of the balls going the distance (which is hitting the plate, going past the plate, or going the same distance but hitting the plate), then you get the Distance score. But if none of them hit, then you don't get bonus points.

I'm pretty sure the rules state that the formula is "D x (n+1), where D is the distance and n is the number of balls that hit the target." (Or something like that.)
Langley HS Science Olympiad '15
Cheese_Muffin_Man

Post by Cheese_Muffin_Man »

fishman100 wrote:
Paleonops wrote:

Nope.

Bonus points are given for each ball hitting the plate on 1st bounce/impact. If you have at least 1 of the balls going the distance (which is hitting the plate, going past the plate, or going the same distance but hitting the plate), then you get the Distance score. But if none of them hit, then you don't get bonus points.

I'm pretty sure the rules state that the formula is "D x (n+1), where D is the distance and n is the number of balls that hit the target." (Or something like that.)
Does anyone know what Junkyard is like next year?
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

yea it is called mission possible
havenguy
State: PA

Post by havenguy »

Uh, I think that has changed. If you go to the tentative summer insitute schedule (http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -26-11.pdf, they have Junkyard Challenge listed on the B Division side.

Maybe they'll change it to Mission Possible.
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

havenguy wrote:Uh, I think that has changed. If you go to the tentative summer insitute schedule (http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -26-11.pdf, they have Junkyard Challenge listed on the B Division side.

That is an error in the schedule. Junkyard is being replaced with Mission Possible.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

chalker wrote:
havenguy wrote:Uh, I think that has changed. If you go to the tentative summer insitute schedule (http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... -26-11.pdf, they have Junkyard Challenge listed on the B Division side.

That is an error in the schedule. Junkyard is being replaced with Mission Possible.
THANK GOD!!!!!! JUNKYARD CHALLENGE= NO SOCIAL LIFE!!!!!
Medal Counter: 73

Return to “2011 Build Events”