Junkyard Challenge B

gyourkoshaven
Division: C
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge B

Post by gyourkoshaven »

Since the scoretracker isn't up, I'd like to say that I got 5th at my invitational today with a tower height of 180 cm. What have other people been getting?
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...
bk
Division: B
State: MI

Post by bk »

what did 1st place get? :?: :? :?
metrology 2nd
Junkyard Challenge 1st
Write it Do it
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

Question: For the tower, Does the base for the tiebreaker get measured from the widest point of the entire tower of of the widest point of the base? I ask because our base is one of the narrowest places.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Littleboy wrote:Question: For the tower, Does the base for the tiebreaker get measured from the widest point of the entire tower of of the widest point of the base? I ask because our base is one of the narrowest places.
The diagram in the rules clearly shows it as the widest point of the base.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

Diagrams can be decieving. It is also the widest point of the tower. The rules say:
rules wrote:measured to the outside edges of the supports to the widest span
earthbot25

Post by earthbot25 »

I'm just reiterating the problem with the tower height and not being able to use a ladder. At the invitational I went to you had to leave your feet on the ground (same surface as where you started building) and we weren't allowed to use a ladder. This pretty much meant, that out of all the best ideas for towers, the people who were the tallest could build the tallest tower, because they could reach the highest up to put their cup and ball on.
Harriton Class of 2014

Past Events: C: Materials Science, Chemistry Lab, TPS, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Microbe Mission, WIDI, Helicopters. B: Bio-Process Lab, Towers, Microbe Mission, Robocross, Physical Science Lab
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

Littleboy wrote:Diagrams can be decieving. It is also the widest point of the tower. The rules say:
rules wrote:measured to the outside edges of the supports to the widest span
Well if in doubt, submit an official question on soinc.org.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

earthbot25 wrote:I'm just reiterating the problem with the tower height and not being able to use a ladder. At the invitational I went to you had to leave your feet on the ground (same surface as where you started building) and we weren't allowed to use a ladder. This pretty much meant, that out of all the best ideas for towers, the people who were the tallest could build the tallest tower, because they could reach the highest up to put their cup and ball on.
It really does favor the team with the tallest competitors, since if one team has a JYC person who's 6'6" tall and the other team's JYC-er is 5'0", assuming they both build towers as high as they can reach, the kid who's 6'6" is going to be able to reach higher, and would therefore win even if the shorter kid is better at building towers but simply can't reach. And I'm not being hypothetical here with the height differences...last year, my team had a member who was 6'6" tall and another teammate who was 5'0" (coincidentally, both of them did work on JYC at some point).

They should at least let you stand on a chair (not the swiveling kind, though...that might be a bad idea). Last time I checked, standing on a chair wasn't a safety hazard.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

Last time I checked, I (5"10' and tallest on team) could not reach the top of our tower.
Last time I checked, i could put the cup and ball on the bridges and cantilevers easily.
Last time I checked, I wanted them to let us use ladders and if not have us make a bridge or cantilever.
disownedpear
Division: B
State: MD

Post by disownedpear »

i dont see any reason why they wont let us use ladders. its not like their unsafe
we have the answer to life, the universe, and everything
ImageNorth Bethesda middle school Image

Return to “2011 Build Events”