Bottle Rocket B

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Bottle Rocket B

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
calgoddard
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bottle Rocket B

Post by calgoddard »

The current wiki for this event on this web site seems to paraphrase the 2011 rules at the beginning in stating that 1L bottles will be used, and then later on it discusses a so - called "standard design" that uses a 2L bottle.

This is a little confusing. I don't know if we should be experimenting with 1L bottle rockets or 2L bottle rockets. Bottle rocket design considerations are seriously affected by the type of bottle.
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

calgoddard wrote:The current wiki for this event on this web site seems to paraphrase the 2011 rules at the beginning in stating that 1L bottles will be used, and then later on it discusses a so - called "standard design" that uses a 2L bottle.

This is a little confusing. I don't know if we should be experimenting with 1L bottle rockets or 2L bottle rockets. Bottle rocket design considerations are seriously affected by the type of bottle.
I would be experimenting with a 2L bottle, the wiki is paraphrasing rules from 2005 or 2006.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

Two liter seems to be the standard, and it makes the most sense to me. They are the most available.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
JustDroobles

Post by JustDroobles »

Do you think Coke's new shapes for their 2-liters will lead to any innovative designs?
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by rocketman1555 »

JustDroobles wrote:Do you think Coke's new shapes for their 2-liters will lead to any innovative designs?
I think they will just be a pain for putting fins on. The only change I can see design wise is a different shape for a nose cone.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

Once at a summer camp I was in, I saw someone take a new-shape Sprite bottle and just duct tape it into a nose cone, with fins- no parachute. It got a very good time, so I think that if anything, the new shape may help you.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

It would be very challenging, and interesting, if the 2011 rules for Bottle Rocket required 2L bottles but limited the overall length of the rocket to thirty (30) inches or less because the backslider configuration would effectively be eliminated as a workable design.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Yes, but if they directly or indirectly banned backsliders, wouldn't everyone just make a parachute? (Better question: Wouldn't people just do that anyways, since a parachute tends to give you more hang time than a backslider?) Unless they banned both...but I doubt they'll do that, especially since this is the first year for bottle rockets.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

Parachutes have been disallowed in past bottle rocket events.

With that ban, and an indirect ban on backsliders, students would be forced to explore other configurations, such as
a bottle rocket glider.

Helicopter recovery would also be a viable option, but only if the rules did not ban a rocket that changed configuration to deploy a recovery device.

Return to “2011 Build Events”