Sounds of Music C

Gillen
Division: Grad
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by Gillen »

I'm pretty sure its supposed to be a dot on the previous quarter note and a tie. It makes the measure have 4 counts, and makes sense musically.
newyork471
Division: C
State: OH

Post by newyork471 »

yeah that would make sense. thanks!
Starapollo1
State: IN

Post by Starapollo1 »

Out of the 6 points for range, the only way to get full points is to play two octaves. Some proctors find it easier to simply hear the diatonic scale while others will want the chromatic. Most judges want to hear the chromatic because it truly shows that your instrument can actually hit all the notes in the range. While the rules say that you must know the diatonic scale as it is required the do not say that for judging range it would be restricted to that. It all depends on what the judge wants and they have the right to do whatever :) HOpe this helps a little :)
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
old
State: CA

Post by old »

twototwenty wrote:Wait does anyone know why this is technically a testing event when its obviously much more of a building event?
Where do you find out whether an event is a testing event vs a building event? Though the team always approaches events from the testing vs. building perspective, I never knew that SO actually categorized them that way. I only knew about categories like: physical science, technology, earth science, etc., I have never seen anything in the rules where an event was put into the testing vs. build category. There are quite a few events each year that have both pre competition building and at competition knowledge testing. Sounds of music is one of these building and testing events. I personally don't know much about music but I have watched the Sounds guys practice (and build) and it certainly seems like the event has plenty that I would call testing. They don't just have to build the instruments, they have to play them, which in many cases is virtually like learning to play a new type of instrument, and explain the physics of how they work, as well as answer more general questions on the physics of sound. If a team spends a ton of time building their instrument, and only a bit on practice and learning about the physics of sound, then it may well seem like a building event to them. But if a team builds relatively simple instruments, but tons of time practicing and studying, then it/ probably seems more like a testing event to them.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

Personally, I'd say this is sort of a combination of build, lab, and study. Build the instruments (build), play them for the judges (lab), answer questions (study).

Also, technically every build event could be called a study event, since you need to research and learn about the best way to build your device for your event.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

old wrote:Where do you find out whether an event is a testing event vs a building event?
Which category (Building, Lab, Study) events are assigned to on these forums is an arbitrary decision unrelated to the official categories assigned by Science Olympiad Inc:

Life, Personal & Social Science

Earth & Space Science

Physical Science & Chemistry

Technology & Engineering

Inquiry & Nature of Science
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

ANYWAY Back to Sounds of Music... lol :)

What would people expect to see on a written exam for this event? Beyond Bernouli's effect, frequency, 'how does your instrument work,' etc
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th
Draylon Fogg
State: KS

Post by Draylon Fogg »

how it was built may come up, why you did certain things to it, such as hole placements etc.
It's always tea time somewhere in the world...... Come to think of it... It's my tea time... :D
Events I participate:
chem lab
forensics
forestry
helicopter
sounds of music
remote sensing
water quality
Starapollo1

Post by Starapollo1 »

Draylon Fogg wrote:how it was built may come up, why you did certain things to it, such as hole placements etc.
Did you ever get a written exam?? Or was it always oral?
Draylon Fogg
State: KS

Post by Draylon Fogg »

depends on whos running it. you may get either
It's always tea time somewhere in the world...... Come to think of it... It's my tea time... :D
Events I participate:
chem lab
forensics
forestry
helicopter
sounds of music
remote sensing
water quality

Return to “2011 Build Events”