Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by zyzzyva980 »

There is a portion of the rubric dedicated to originality and creativity of the instruments.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
butter side up
State: PA

Post by butter side up »

We made a trumpet, and it sounds pretty good (placed 1st at States).
I know this event usually runs on some kind of cycle, and this year should have a string instrument. Does anyone have some kind of conformation on this?
I am the one called "TARDIS Hat Girl," and am known as such by all.
2013: Anatomy, Experimental Design, Genetics, Forestry, Disease Detectives
zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: IA

Post by zyzzyva980 »

Based on previous years, the most likely combination is string and percussion. However, there is no confirmation until the final rules come out.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter
QuantumLeaper
Division: C
State: RI

Post by QuantumLeaper »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Based on previous years, the most likely combination is string and percussion. However, there is no confirmation until the final rules come out.
Darn... I play a wind instrument, so it's been more comfortable for me as far as making wind instruments go. I don't mind trying to build a string instrument though. Does anyone have any preferences? (flute player = partial ;) )
"I know that the molecules in my body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos. That makes me want to grab people on the street and say: ‘Have you HEARD THIS?"

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

zyzzyva98 wrote:Based on previous years, the most likely combination is string and percussion. However, there is no confirmation until the final rules come out.
Shoot, we don't have an orchestra at our school. Nobody knows how to play a string instrument.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by AlphaTauri »

There's always guitar...plenty of people know how to play that, even if they're not in orchestra. And I suppose you could always try a hammered dulcimer-like instrument.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
uriljack
State: UT

Post by uriljack »

I like the sound of the shofar though it is a holy sign (horn) of lord Ram. The shofar is featured most prominently in the Rosh Hashanah morning services.
trophymursky

Post by trophymursky »

Previously sounds of music did not ban/limit the types of instruments other than penalizing teams with 2 instruments of the same kind. I suspect they banned string instruments this year because string and percussion instruments are both really easy to get to cover the whole range so the vast majority of teams did them and it got old fast. From what I heard very few teams (even at the national level) were able to cover the full range with wind instruments which makes it very easy to distinguish the top teams from the rest.
If I were involved in making rules for next year (and I'm not) I would make only string and wind because 99 percent of teams either had a tubaphone or some sort of xylophone/marimba (I made two marimbas in my time) and simply their extremely easy to get to cover the full range while wind instruments are not easy at all.
rip sounds of music
ahsettle23

Post by ahsettle23 »

It doesn't really run on a rotation (this year was the first time they ever picked what kind of instrument) so next year is kind of unpredictable. Even though they saw a whole lot of 8-hole flutes at nats this year, I really doubt they'll get rid of wind instruments. Honestly I wouldn't be too surprised if they got rid of the instrument specification to allow all 3. They wouldn't have gotten rid of strings if they didn't plan on bringing it back at some point, but I doubt they would ever get rid of winds because they're the most difficult and leave room for the most creativity. I think after seeing the lack of creativity this year they might allow all types so that theres more variety next year.
Nationals 2011 - 8th Overall
Sounds of Music: 1ST!!!!
Dynamic Planet: 4th!
Fossils: 13th
Ornithology: 16th

Harriton Captain 2011-2012
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning. " - Calvin and Hobbes
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

I think that they try, more so recently, to prevent teams from re-using devices from one year to the next. They don't want a great device from the previous year to carry a slacking team the next year. I think that is why they were so specific about what instruments you had to build last year, it allows them to block out those types of instruments this year. My guess would be that it could be any type of instrument other than a low percussion or a high wind. I'd kind of like to see low string and high percussion.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Return to “2011 Build Events”