Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: IA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sounds of Music C

Post by zyzzyva980 » December 23rd, 2010, 6:54 pm

Well, your problem may be that you don't have anything cushioning the nodes. If you just put the bar on the table and hit it, then you're not going to get the tone quality you need. Try supporting the nodes, and if that doesn't work, make sure your material is of good quality.
Olathe North HS, 2011-2013 | National Runner-Up, Sounds of Music (2012)
Never lose the joy of competing in the pursuit of winning

Resources
Site Help: FAQ & IRC
Event Help: [wiki][/wiki] & Image Gallery
Social Networks: scioly.org on Facebook & Twitter

personasaurus rex
Division: C
State: NY

Post by personasaurus rex » December 23rd, 2010, 7:17 pm

zyzzyva98 wrote:Well, your problem may be that you don't have anything cushioning the nodes. If you just put the bar on the table and hit it, then you're not going to get the tone quality you need. Try supporting the nodes, and if that doesn't work, make sure your material is of good quality.
is there a way to calculate where the nodes are located on the wood (or whatever) piece?
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It

sciolywiz
State: IL

Post by sciolywiz » December 23rd, 2010, 7:27 pm

i tied string around the nodal points (22.4% from either side) and hung it in the air to hit it and the sound is very shaky and the notes all sound the same. Im not sure what other metal i should use or if there is anything else going wrong with this?

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by zyzzyva980 » December 23rd, 2010, 7:36 pm

Well, first make sure you cut the pipe the right length, and make sure you're using a good mallet. This is an interesting dilemma. Maybe the sound you are hearing is the echo of the sound originally produced, that can sound a bit shaky.

Resources

sciolywiz

Post by sciolywiz » December 23rd, 2010, 7:59 pm

is there any way to reduce the sound of the echo for copper bars?

zyzzyva980
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by zyzzyva980 » December 23rd, 2010, 8:03 pm

Not sure about that. I'll look into it.

Resources

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 » December 24th, 2010, 8:29 am

is it the type of material im using thats preventing the clear pitches
I've never seen anyone have much luck using copper. Copper tubing comes with varying degrees of hardness. The softer the copper, the worse it works. Copper tubing sold in coils is terrible (for percussion instruments). Copper water pipe seems to work the best. One of the best materials I've seen is steel bars (strap iron) sold in the metal rack at hardware/building supply stores. There is probably an optimum ratio between length/width/thickness.

Nodes can be located mathematically for materials that have constant characteristics such as cross-section, density, and stiffness. In materials like wood, their locations may vary slightly. The sand/salt test is simple & works well for bars with flat surfaces.

A great material for chimes is thick-walled electrical conduit. Since they are suspended from one end, there is no need to locate the nodes. Chimes produce several frequencies simultaneously, so you must make sure you are tuning to the right one.

There are a couple of good books that explain how musical instruments work in great detail. I think one of them is called "The Physics of Musical Instruments". My copy is 1300 miles away until March, so I don't have more details.

One member of our team used this book to make an excellent set of Pan Pipes. If I get find the time, I'll try to draw a diagram & post it here.

Edit: If your supports are not padded and located exactly at the nodes, they can produce a second, buzzing, note as the bar bounces on the support. This note may be the same as the bar's fundamental frequency or a harmonic.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

Bogoradwee
State: MI

Post by Bogoradwee » December 24th, 2010, 6:00 pm

sciolywiz wrote:is there any way to reduce the sound of the echo for copper bars?
I say wrap the bars in some sort of padding or something. That might just dampen it though. Maybe if you pad the mallet?
Science Olympiad: Guessing and BSing our way to victory!
Btw, if you see me in IRC chat, I'm Exothermic
2009: I don't remember/ not very noteworthy.
2010: See above.
2011: Regionals- 3rd WIDI, 3rd Optics, 3rd Fossils, 3rd overall States- 4th WIDI

sciolywiz

Post by sciolywiz » December 25th, 2010, 10:07 pm

i think i found what the problem was for the different pitches in my tubes. i noticed how with some of the tubes, the longer the copper tube, the higher the pitch so i got confused for a long time then i started listening even closer and heard how there was a vibration under that high pitch and that pitch from the vibration was what i needed for that note. is there anyway to lessen that higher pitch and allow for the vibration to come out because right now, it is very quiet and the high pitch really covers it up and makes it seem like thats the pitch for that bar.

sciolywiz

Post by sciolywiz » December 25th, 2010, 10:16 pm

would a pvc instrument count towards percussion? like making different lengths of pvc pipe and smaking the ends with a paddle

Return to “2011 Build Events”