Mousetrap Vehicle C

jakechophd
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by jakechophd » January 6th, 2011, 5:32 pm

does anyone know what the rods on the chasis are and where i could purchase them? they do not appear to be carbon fiber or homemade. and also, how did you guys attach the axles to the chasis? Last year, my partner and i drilled balsa blocks and put in ball bearings, but the bearings often fell out.

riley404
State: IA

Post by riley404 » January 9th, 2011, 8:20 pm

You could use wood glue to keep the bearings in place. You might be able to find something similar online if you search for "bearing housings".

rnphoenix42
State: CA

Post by rnphoenix42 » January 10th, 2011, 8:47 pm

last year, in B division, i did Battery Buggy, and i used a wingnut brake to stop my vehicle.
That got me thinking: if you used a Category 1 vehicle, but instead of measuring the string out for your distance, using a threaded axle and wingnut to measure the distance for both directions, wouldn't you get much more accurate results, without any drifting?
---oh sorry, didn't notice this was already discussed in the thread :)

riley404
State: IA

Post by riley404 » January 11th, 2011, 10:31 am

Misano2345 wrote:
riley404 wrote:You could use wood glue to keep the bearings in place. You might be able to find something similar online if you search for "bearing housings".
I tried searching on Google as you indicate, but I think I'm too clumsy. Could you post a link?
You're right, I can't find anything that looks exactly like the car in the picture. I found a few things that look similar, but they either are much too big, made of steel, or you have to buy 100 of them at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if the housings they used were custom made. I found out that the housings are known as pillow blocks, so that might help you when searching.

Take a look at these links. The first one has a 1/4 inch hole. The second website lets you customize what you want to order with the "part lookup" box on the left.
http://www.amazon.com/Spyraflo-PB0-SR18 ... B003JY7A5M
http://www.spyraflo.com/products/mini_ball_bearings.php

Are you going to use carbon fiber or aluminum instead of balsa? If you are going to use balsa again, the lightest and probably easiest method would be to drill a hole and glue the bearing in place.

winneratlife
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by winneratlife » January 11th, 2011, 3:38 pm

rnphoenix42 wrote:last year, in B division, i did Battery Buggy, and i used a wingnut brake to stop my vehicle.
That got me thinking: if you used a Category 1 vehicle, but instead of measuring the string out for your distance, using a threaded axle and wingnut to measure the distance for both directions, wouldn't you get much more accurate results, without any drifting?
---oh sorry, didn't notice this was already discussed in the thread :)
The question is: how do you trigger the second trap?

masterhat
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by masterhat » January 11th, 2011, 5:58 pm

riley404 wrote:
Misano2345 wrote:
riley404 wrote:You could use wood glue to keep the bearings in place. You might be able to find something similar online if you search for "bearing housings".
I tried searching on Google as you indicate, but I think I'm too clumsy. Could you post a link?
You're right, I can't find anything that looks exactly like the car in the picture. I found a few things that look similar, but they either are much too big, made of steel, or you have to buy 100 of them at a time. I wouldn't be surprised if the housings they used were custom made. I found out that the housings are known as pillow blocks, so that might help you when searching.

Take a look at these links. The first one has a 1/4 inch hole. The second website lets you customize what you want to order with the "part lookup" box on the left.
http://www.amazon.com/Spyraflo-PB0-SR18 ... B003JY7A5M
http://www.spyraflo.com/products/mini_ball_bearings.php

Are you going to use carbon fiber or aluminum instead of balsa? If you are going to use balsa again, the lightest and probably easiest method would be to drill a hole and glue the bearing in place.
I used plastic spacers as bearings. They are lighter and you probably don't need ball bearings for these lightweight applications. Also, I would check out the 2010 design in the wiki for more ideas.

zcshiner
State: PA

Post by zcshiner » January 13th, 2011, 6:03 pm

winneratlife wrote: The question is: how do you trigger the second trap?
Last year I achieved this two different ways. My first way used a linkage system so that when the first trap was at the end of it's travel, it pressed on this linkage, which in turn, pressed on the 'cheese' of the second trap.

The second way was much more elegant. As the car went out, it wound string around the second axle. When it was fully wound (and therefore at the end of the track) it pulled down on the mousetrap lever arm. If you take note, when you push down on the arm/bar of a mousetrap while it's set, the retaining arm thing comes loose and therefore triggers. Once that happened, it comes zipping back to where it started.

winneratlife
State: MI

Post by winneratlife » January 14th, 2011, 2:14 pm

zcshiner wrote:
winneratlife wrote: The question is: how do you trigger the second trap?
Last year I achieved this two different ways. My first way used a linkage system so that when the first trap was at the end of it's travel, it pressed on this linkage, which in turn, pressed on the 'cheese' of the second trap.

The second way was much more elegant. As the car went out, it wound string around the second axle. When it was fully wound (and therefore at the end of the track) it pulled down on the mousetrap lever arm. If you take note, when you push down on the arm/bar of a mousetrap while it's set, the retaining arm thing comes loose and therefore triggers. Once that happened, it comes zipping back to where it started.
Oh, I know that works with slow release, in fact, I believe I brought up the second way last year.

I was referring to the fast release method I believe phoenix was referring to, in which the first trap (as I understand), pulls a hook, which pulls a loop attached to the axle. All of the mousetrap's force is released at once, and so the trap reaches it's natural state immediately; the car is stopped by a wingnut brake. The same thing happens with the second trap. However, because no windup strings are used and the trap is fast release, triggering the second one is a problem. I've been thinking about this method for a while.

zcshiner
State: PA

Post by zcshiner » January 16th, 2011, 11:40 am

winneratlife wrote:I was referring to the fast release method I believe phoenix was referring to, in which the first trap (as I understand), pulls a hook, which pulls a loop attached to the axle. All of the mousetrap's force is released at once, and so the trap reaches it's natural state immediately; the car is stopped by a wingnut brake. The same thing happens with the second trap. However, because no windup strings are used and the trap is fast release, triggering the second one is a problem. I've been thinking about this method for a while.
I'm not sure how you would do that. The only thing that I can think of is some sort of linkage between the wingnut and second mousetrap.

Vizard007
State: CA

Post by Vizard007 » January 16th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Hey guys, so, I'm running the mousetrap vehicle I made at school, and on it's way forward pushing the cup it's fine, but on it's way backwards it randomly curves. Also, is anyone we're using the wingnut design and for some reason the break isn't stopping the vehicle on time. The vehicle always passes the -4 meter line by quite a bit. Is anyone else experiencing issues like this? And does anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help guys!
It's so easy, even a Badger could do it.

Return to “2011 Build Events”