Draylon Fogg
Division: C
State: KS
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by Draylon Fogg » April 4th, 2011, 9:04 pm

because sometimes your wheels limit your axle thickness
It's always tea time somewhere in the world...... Come to think of it... It's my tea time... :D
Events I participate:
chem lab
forensics
forestry
helicopter
sounds of music
remote sensing
water quality

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven » April 4th, 2011, 9:13 pm

Draylon Fogg wrote:because sometimes your wheels limit your axle thickness
So... Make wheels? Its called a drill and some time lol that's what we did... And it works very well
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion

Draylon Fogg
State: KS

Post by Draylon Fogg » April 4th, 2011, 9:31 pm

but homemade wheels arent always as effective
It's always tea time somewhere in the world...... Come to think of it... It's my tea time... :D
Events I participate:
chem lab
forensics
forestry
helicopter
sounds of music
remote sensing
water quality

Gillen
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by Gillen » April 4th, 2011, 9:45 pm

I tried homemade wheels. They're pretty hard to make perfectly round and with the hole perfectly in the center unless you have good tools, which I don't. I find CD wheels to be perfectly fine and much more consistent than the ones I tried to make myself.

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven » April 5th, 2011, 5:18 am

Gillen wrote:I tried homemade wheels. They're pretty hard to make perfectly round and with the hole perfectly in the center unless you have good tools, which I don't. I find CD wheels to be perfectly fine and much more consistent than the ones I tried to make myself.
Use a lathe, or find wood disks...

illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist » April 5th, 2011, 8:12 am

What is the advantage to using homemade wheels? CDs have worked great for me, and they are quite lightweight too... You can simply add a balloon around the edge to give. The excellent traction.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

jarrred_1415
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by jarrred_1415 » April 5th, 2011, 12:51 pm

illusionist wrote:What is the advantage to using homemade wheels? CDs have worked great for me, and they are quite lightweight too... You can simply add a balloon around the edge to give. The excellent traction.
being able to build a wheel with any diameter
i personally think CD's are fine and will work. but for a little bit of effort you could make some aluminum wheels that are twice as thick and half the weight of a CD. all you need is a true-spinning drill or a drill press.

i also think a 12 cm diameter CD wheel is a little overkill. really the smaller the better in my opinion. i think mini CD wheels would work really well 8cm diameter verses 12 cm.

illusionist

Post by illusionist » April 5th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Larger wheels allow for greater speeds (of course there are other variables too). Smaller wheels require more turns of the string to go the same distance as fewer winds with the large wheels.
2012-2013 Building Event Captain
Rule 7d. "Event Supervisors are allowed to break any competitors' devices" -bearasauras

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven » April 5th, 2011, 1:31 pm

illusionist wrote:Larger wheels allow for greater speeds (of course there are other variables too). Smaller wheels require more turns of the string to go the same distance as fewer winds with the large wheels.
as speed is a factor, but if your trading speed for accurice than in my opinion its a mistake. id rather hit the line exactly with my home-cut wheels b/c the axel is large enough with the wheels that i can pinpoint the # of winds much easier and do it more consistantly.

speed is important, but accuracy is more in this event

ophiophagus

Post by ophiophagus » April 5th, 2011, 1:34 pm

mrsteven wrote:
illusionist wrote:Larger wheels allow for greater speeds (of course there are other variables too). Smaller wheels require more turns of the string to go the same distance as fewer winds with the large wheels.
as speed is a factor, but if your trading speed for accurice than in my opinion its a mistake. id rather hit the line exactly with my home-cut wheels b/c the axel is large enough with the wheels that i can pinpoint the # of winds much easier and do it more consistantly.

speed is important, but accuracy is more in this event
Illusionist mentioned nothing about home-cut vs store bought wheels in what you quoted. Even if you cut your own wheels, a larger circumference will do faster than a smaller circumference. Also, by states, the top teams will all be very close to the line and have a close distance score, the 2 points per second is going to act like a tiebreaker of sorts, even more so at nationals, where it is 4 points per second and the good vehicles will all be having a distance score of 0-2.
Last edited by ophiophagus on April 5th, 2011, 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “2011 Build Events”