chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by chalker »

mrsteven wrote:
Draylon Fogg wrote:mousetrap is being replaced by wheeled vehicle
which is basically...?
Mousetrap vehicle without the mousetrap. Another power source will be required. We haven't finalized it yet.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
ophiophagus
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ophiophagus »

I'm pretty certain I already know the answer to this, but I just want to make absolutely sure. In the rules, when it says the vehicle must fit in a 1m x 1m square at ready to start mode, this means right before you trigger the mousetrap(s) and get the car moving, correct? So the length of the lever arm and chassis combined can be over 1 meter when fully extended as long as it is 1m after you pull the arm back, correct?
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

ophiophagus wrote:I'm pretty certain I already know the answer to this, but I just want to make absolutely sure. In the rules, when it says the vehicle must fit in a 1m x 1m square at ready to start mode, this means right before you trigger the mousetrap(s) and get the car moving, correct? So the length of the lever arm and chassis combined can be over 1 meter when fully extended as long as it is 1m after you pull the arm back, correct?
correct!

So I know in past years its been a battery or something, so do you imagine the new power source being electronically based or machanically based like the mousetrap?
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
buzzbuzz
State: KS

Post by buzzbuzz »

When I did wheeled vehicle 4 or 5 years ago, it had to be powered by some elastic device. I'm not sure how similar the new rules will be, but that's my guess.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by mrsteven »

buzzbuzz wrote:When I did wheeled vehicle 4 or 5 years ago, it had to be powered by some elastic device. I'm not sure how similar the new rules will be, but that's my guess.
cool! As long as its not like programming stuff, im so sick of programming stuff lately, im looking for something more physical and tangible.
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
Teal
State: WA

Post by Teal »

^ To the question about the 1x1 meter, I've had it measured both ways, when it's set and when it isn't. At state they measured it when it was set, so I'm guessing so.
I'm excited for Wheeled Vehicle, but I have no idea how to build it, to be honest. How would you be able to set the rubber band?
high school: birds, trees, widi, expdes, mousetrap, gravity
from the evergreen state to the farm, '17!
packer-backer91
State: MI

Post by packer-backer91 »

Teal wrote:^ To the question about the 1x1 meter, I've had it measured both ways, when it's set and when it isn't. At state they measured it when it was set, so I'm guessing so.
I'm excited for Wheeled Vehicle, but I have no idea how to build it, to be honest. How would you be able to set the rubber band?
To put emphasis on the wording of the rules say something to the effect it only has to fit in the 1m X 1m box in when the vehicle is ready to run. So if the event supervisor says something else, respective, say the rules point out exactly that it’s only in the ready to use position. The key is to be respectful when telling them of their deviation of the rules; everyone makes mistakes now and again. Just make sure you are not losing your ten minutes during this time, this happened to me and I lost the appeal afterword because I didn't ask for the time to be halted.

I went back to help my old team because from the information they gave me was bad and I wanted to give them a reasonable chance of getting top 3 at state. I believe I helped them a lot, about 4 seconds faster in one practice. I haven’t followed this event nearly as well now that I’m a grad, but using state scoring what is some of the lowest numbers out there? I know under zero is common but anyone in the -10's or less?
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

mrsteven wrote:
illusionist wrote:Right, so since a larger diameter will give you more speed (there is very little to lose in terms of accuracy) large homemade wheels will be too heavy. If you find that smaller wheels work for you, then that's fine. I am just saying that speed is a lot more important at the state and national levels since most vehicles will be quite accurate and each second costs 2 points...
yeah thats a good point, but my wheels arent heavy, they're lighter than CD's and at least for how my car is set up, i have a larger axel for more initial torque so in order for consistancy I made the wheels a bit smaller than a cd in the back and alot smaller in the front. its all in what you want to do, but with my car, in optimal conditions I can hit -25 points. so im happy with its performance ^.^
^packer-backer, this is the highest score we've seen posted on here. Some people doubt it's validity, but I think it's plausible.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

A score of -25 is somewhat ambiguous, because the rules for scoring change at every level of competition. There are some vehicles at nationals that will have times of 5 or 6 seconds, the problem is that when you increase the speed of your vehicle, the accuracy tends to suffer. So while it is definitely plausible that there are many vehicles out there that could get a -25 (regional scoring), I bet there are very few vehicles that can consistently get a score that strong.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Return to “2011 Build Events”