Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Mousetrap Vehicle C

Post by mrsteven »

Paradox21 wrote:A score of -25 is somewhat ambiguous, because the rules for scoring change at every level of competition. There are some vehicles at nationals that will have times of 5 or 6 seconds, the problem is that when you increase the speed of your vehicle, the accuracy tends to suffer. So while it is definitely plausible that there are many vehicles out there that could get a -25 (regional scoring), I bet there are very few vehicles that can consistently get a score that strong.
true. that -25 was regional scoring at state it didnt do so hot due to some transit and development issues
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
packer-backer91
Division: Grad
State: MI

Post by packer-backer91 »

So I got my old teams team’s time down to the low 11 second rage and they can stop under 1cm on good runs [its very dependent on how the string is wound on the axel]. So that puts them around -6.6 for an expected state run, from other states is that top 6? At state last year there were teams that were way faster than that but we could stop a lot closer to the line than any team I saw. I got the vehicle to be 20% faster than what we had last year. If they could get -6.6 it’s my guess that they will be 3rd does that sound right in comparison to other states?
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

packer-backer91 wrote:So I got my old teams team’s time down to the low 11 second rage and they can stop under 1cm on good runs [its very dependent on how the string is wound on the axel]. So that puts them around -6.6 for an expected state run, from other states is that top 6? At state last year there were teams that were way faster than that but we could stop a lot closer to the line than any team I saw. I got the vehicle to be 20% faster than what we had last year. If they could get -6.6 it’s my guess that they will be 3rd does that sound right in comparison to other states?
that really depends on the state like at WI state for heli 1:54 got first in IL that would of gotten 4th or under...

And wasn't last years mousetrap vehicle for distance? Idr, didn't do it last year.

But yea, I'd expect that to place for sure but it varies state to state
packer-backer91

Post by packer-backer91 »

mrsteven wrote:
packer-backer91 wrote:So I got my old teams team’s time down to the low 11 second rage and they can stop under 1cm on good runs [its very dependent on how the string is wound on the axel]. So that puts them around -6.6 for an expected state run, from other states is that top 6? At state last year there were teams that were way faster than that but we could stop a lot closer to the line than any team I saw. I got the vehicle to be 20% faster than what we had last year. If they could get -6.6 it’s my guess that they will be 3rd does that sound right in comparison to other states?
that really depends on the state like at WI state for heli 1:54 got first in IL that would of gotten 4th or under...

And wasn't last years mousetrap vehicle for distance? Idr, didn't do it last year.

That’s why I hoped to get a wide range of answers. I know the usually competitive/large states so I see how that compares to the small ones when I try to estimate my placings.
Favorite Events: Experimental Design, Scrambler, Mousetrap Vehicle
Thanks Science Olympiad for the 6 Great Years!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. ― Dr. Seuss
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

packer-backer91 wrote:
mrsteven wrote:

That’s why I hoped to get a wide range of answers. I know the usually competitive/large states so I see how that compares to the small ones when I try to estimate my placings.
is MI usually really competitive?
Gillen
State: MO

Post by Gillen »

I got seventh in Missouri with a time around 12 and distance around 30cm, so the run you described would definitely be top 6. I don't know how others did, but do know the first place team got 5 seconds.
bwy
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by bwy »

Gillen wrote:
I got seventh in Missouri with a time around 12 and distance around 30cm, so the run you described would definitely be top 6. I don't know how others did, but do know the first place team got 5 seconds.
How do people get times in the 5 second range? I'm just wondering about the general design, since I really can't see how it's possible, but according to you and mrsteven, it's doable.
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

MI is quite competitive. I mean, its the second larges SO state, and shares in the foundations of SO. Anyways, I too am wondering about the 5 second vehicles... What is it? Lightweight? Wheels? Power?
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

Light, powerful mousetraps, and a good calculation to figure out the best length for the car and bar for the power given by the mousetraps To have no wasted string/power
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

With a time of around 11 seconds, and a distance score <2cm, we got 4th at MI states. There was a really well built vehicle, and some characteristics I noted were a short pull arm and small wheels.

Return to “2011 Build Events”