Sumo Bots C

satchellwk
Division: C
State: AL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sumo Bots C

Post by satchellwk » December 15th, 2010, 12:50 pm

Well the battery for the netboook is only 10 volts(not amps, my bad), so if we have to, we can use some smally batteries for the motors, but we are going to try to strip the usb chord and run some of the netbook's battery's power to the motors. Aboutt he weight, it doesn't weigh that much, so I don't think that it will be a huge problem.
Last edited by satchellwk on December 15th, 2010, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JBoyd-NY

Post by JBoyd-NY » December 15th, 2010, 1:42 pm

It isn't the amps that count, its the volts. And I'd suggest you bring a spec sheet for the netbook (one from the company that makes it, not one that you type up) that indicates the voltage of the battery in the netbook unless you want to have to remove the netbook so you can show the battery to the event supervisor for verification of its voltage.

ichaelm
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by ichaelm » December 15th, 2010, 2:04 pm

satchellwk wrote:Well the battery for the netboook is only 10 amps, so if we have to, we can use some smally batteries for the motors, but we are going to try to strip the usb chord and run some of the netbook's battery's power to the motors. Aboutt he weight, it doesn't weigh that much, so I don't think that it will be a huge problem.
I'm just kinda wondering, since there are so many options for how to control your robot, why in the world would you choose the laptop method? It is certainly possible to build a good robot with a laptop inside. But there are so many cheaper, easier, simpler, more reliable, sturdier, and more compact options. I just don't see an advantage to using two laptops, proprietary windows software, and expensive, low-discharge batteries. Do you?

Also, do not try to power motors through a USB cord. The voltage will be regulated at 5 volts, and you will not be able to draw more than 0.5 Amps, or 0.9 if the laptop has the newer USB 3.0 standard. Unless your motors fit those specs.

Dnny44

Post by Dnny44 » December 15th, 2010, 2:14 pm

satchellwk wrote:Well the battery for the netboook is only 10 amps, so if we have to, we can use some smally batteries for the motors, but we are going to try to strip the usb chord and run some of the netbook's battery's power to the motors. Aboutt he weight, it doesn't weigh that much, so I don't think that it will be a huge problem.
He means 10 volts. Hi by the way I'm his partner for science Olympiad. the netbook is an acer aspire aoa150 8.9 inch laptop.

JBoyd-NY

Post by JBoyd-NY » December 15th, 2010, 3:16 pm

I just did a Google search for batteries for the Acer Aspire AOA150 netbook, and found that the replacement batteries range from 10.8 volts to 11.1. If you use this netbook in your bot, then you have two choices - accept the largest voltage for the battery that can be purchased (11.1 volts) or be prepared to open the netbook up and allow the event supervisor to verify the voltage of the installed battery by looking directly at it.

ichaelm

Post by ichaelm » December 15th, 2010, 4:04 pm

I just remembered that you will also need to install Windows XP Professional, not Home, on the onboard laptop in order to use Remote Desktop like in the video. But there are also less expensive and more direct ways to stream command data like that.

Dnny44

Post by Dnny44 » December 15th, 2010, 5:35 pm

thats fine because we're designing it to be able to do that. And to rebut the statement about only getting 5 volts of a 2.0 usb connection which was already known, can we not use two ports and run the power from both ports into the breadboard

maggymay

Post by maggymay » December 15th, 2010, 5:44 pm

Jeez, our team is going to be lucky to have an R/C car...

ichaelm

Post by ichaelm » December 15th, 2010, 6:03 pm

Dnny44 wrote:thats fine because we're designing it to be able to do that. And to rebut the statement about only getting 5 volts of a 2.0 usb connection which was already known, can we not use two ports and run the power from both ports into the breadboard
Yeah, you can! That laptop has 3 USB ports, so you could get a maximum of 1.5 Amps. The voltage will remain at 5. But you would get a lot more power by directly accessing the battery, if you're willing to mess with those connections. And I really wouldn't recommend hooking up something like a DC motor to a USB port, because of the electrical noise. I'm not saying it wouldn't work, but it would be a risk without some sort of isolation circuitry.

I hope you don't think that you have to "rebut" me like I'm trying to argue with you! I'm just wondering why you chose the laptop route.

Dnny44

Post by Dnny44 » December 15th, 2010, 6:54 pm

we're hooking the power from the usb into an h-bridge which the motors are connected to
and sorry wasn't trying to argue

Return to “2011 Build Events”