Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sumo Bots C

Post by paleonaps »

So dimensions are the same? 40X40?
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.
JBoyd-NY

Post by JBoyd-NY »

Regarding the battery voltage and how that will be determined: it has been the practice in Science Olympiad for the past few years to use the voltage listed on the batteries. Fully charged batteries may have a little more voltage than that listed on the batteries, but that is not something that the competitors have control over. I cannot speak for other states and regions, but I can tell you that both the New York State Tournament and the National Tournament will use the voltage printed on the batteries when making sure that the bots meet the construction specs.

As far as the dimensions are concerned, there have been two changes to this year's rules: (1) last year, bots were limited to 40 cm x 40 cm, but there was no limit on the height of the bot; this year, bots are limited to 40 cm length x 40 cm width x 40 cm height; (2) last year, bots were restricted to the 40 cm x 40 cm size at the start and the conclusion of the bout - they could expand during the bout itself; this year, the bot may not expand beyond the 40 cm x 40 cm x 40 cm max size at any time during the competition.
Last edited by JBoyd-NY on September 9th, 2010, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j0llybear
Division: C
State: WA

Post by j0llybear »

I have a robot i can control via bluetooth, but it doesnt look like bluetooth type radio/recievers are allowed, which is disapointing, because then my remote control for my robot would have been a wiimote :shock: which i think would have been entertaining to see, so please correct me if i am wrong
JBoyd-NY

Post by JBoyd-NY »

Bluetooth is a 2.4 GHz transmitter/receiver, and is therefore allowed (look at http://www.newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/Su ... ncies.html, which is the page referred to in the rules - just hasn't been posted on the National site yet)
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by paleonaps »

JBoyd-NY wrote:Regarding the battery voltage and how that will be determined: it has been the practice in Science Olympiad for the past few years to use the voltage listed on the batteries. Fully charged batteries may have a little more voltage than that listed on the batteries, but that is not something that the competitors have control over. I cannot speak for other states and regions, but I can tell you that both the New York State Tournament and the National Tournament will use the voltage printed on the batteries when making sure that the bots meet the construction specs.

As far as the dimensions are concerned, there have been two changes to this year's rules: (1) last year, bots were limited to 40 cm x 40 cm, but there was no limit on the height of the bot; this year, bots are limited to 40 cm length x 40 cm width x 40 cm height; (2) last year, bots were restricted to the 40 cm x 40 cm size at the start and the conclusion of the bout - they could expand during the bout itself; this year, the bot may not expand at any time during the competition.
Why were those changes made? I assume to prohibit long arms to touch the ball without much movement.
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
j0llybear
State: WA

Post by j0llybear »

JBoyd-NY wrote:Bluetooth is a 2.4 GHz transmitter/receiver, and is therefore allowed (look at http://www.newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/Su ... ncies.html, which is the page referred to in the rules - just hasn't been posted on the National site yet)
You have just made my day sir :D
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

Also, there is no tennis ball this year. Robots start facing each other.
paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps »

j0llybear wrote:
JBoyd-NY wrote:Bluetooth is a 2.4 GHz transmitter/receiver, and is therefore allowed (look at http://www.newyorkscioly.org/SOPages/Su ... ncies.html, which is the page referred to in the rules - just hasn't been posted on the National site yet)
You have just made my day sir :D
I have been using bluetooth for two years.
Also, there is no tennis ball this year. Robots start facing each other.
:D :D
Brown University 2017
4 time National Medalist
Primate

Post by Primate »

Did anyone else have trouble using 2.4 at states last year? We had some serious interference against Vex bots. Kind of a shame... we had the lamest Vexer take out our custom built bot last year.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

This year, the judges are allowed to pause the match if they see either of the bots experiencing radio interference, and the team is allowed to change their frequency.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Return to “2011 Build Events”