Sumo Bots C

illusionist
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sumo Bots C

Post by illusionist »

If I may ask, what is the reason that Sumo Bot is leaving? Is it because it was too difficult to run for the event supervisors?
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX
Been thanked: 0

Post by harryk »

Urg, if they're going to take out sumo, why replace it with robot arm? At least replace it with something more like robot ramble so we can use the same basic equipment, now I will have to spend more money to buy parts to make a robotic arm
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
illusionist

Post by illusionist »

I think Robot Arm will be cheaper than Sumo Bots was. A basic kit like Vex will provide many of the parts necessary for this event. Whereas for Sumo Bots, you needed powerful motors, optimal wheels, and other specific materials
Btw, this is my 500th post! :D
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

illusionist wrote:I think Robot Arm will be cheaper than Sumo Bots was. A basic kit like Vex will provide many of the parts necessary for this event. Whereas for Sumo Bots, you needed powerful motors, optimal wheels, and other specific materials
Btw, this is my 500th post! :D
I agree that robot arm will be generally cheaper, but there will still be people that will go above and beyond
And for the record the cheapest vex kit is $300
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Primate wrote:
sj wrote:Well good luck!

In the end it all comes down to who is the better driver. It doesn't matter how much you can push if you can't drive under the other bot...
But at the same time, it doesn't matter how well you can drive if you get stuck on another bot =P. Are you using standard vex motors and wheels?!

Actually our team managed to win when stuck on another bot. The two-wheeled design worked in this case. Their "scoop" (more like a slide, wedge thing) managed to push out the 'bot underneath them.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HomeschoolS ... 0On1QiSk80

Hard to see from that angle though; I'll see if my son's got a better angle on his camera.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

So for those of you competing at Nats, sadly I will not, watch out for LASA's bot, it has a turbine(which they turn on when lined up for attack, and makes a really loud scary noise) to create a vacuum under the bot to suck it to the floor. I was able to beat it with a good wedge, good driving, and a lot of luck, but I wouldn't doubt that they will be fixing it's weaknesses before Nats
Colorado School of Mines
Frogger4907
State: KS

Post by Frogger4907 »

That's really insightful, thx for posting.
Ornithology State Champion
Gravity Vehicle State Champion
Thermodynamics State Champion
Remote Sensing State Champion
20 Div C State Medals
Littleboy

Post by Littleboy »

Thats actually a great idea
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

Wow, I think it's incredible that LASA as able to pull that off! In most real sumo robot competitions, vacuum pumps are not allowed, because they can give a huge advantage in pushing power. My partner and I were thinking of putting one on when we designed our current robot, but we decided against is for 3 reasons: we didn't have nearly enough mass to spare for a good pump, it would probably limit our speed, and we would have to build an almost airtight skirt around the robot, meaning that if it was wedged up by one corner, the wheels would be lifted up off the ground by the skirt in the other corner. The third reason could have been solved by a system with shocks, I suppose, but we were just too heavy already. Anyway, the fact that LASA has been able to circumvent those problems (or at least the first) is pretty awesome!

harryk, just wondering, how did you beat it? What was the skirt made of? I'm assuming there was one. When you got under one end, did the other end wedge the robot up so the wheels were no longer touching the ground? Also, were they that fast?
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by robotman »

I don't think you would have to have a skirt around the entire bot.
If you just put a skirt around the area you want the pump to pull at you could make it a lot less likely that a wedge could remove the vacuum
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]

Return to “2011 Build Events”