Sumo Bots C

ichaelm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sumo Bots C

Post by ichaelm »

Yeah, that's another way to solve the problem. For a vacuum pump, though, you want as much surface area as possible for maximum downforce, so it would be a compromise.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

ichaelm wrote: harryk, just wondering, how did you beat it? What was the skirt made of? I'm assuming there was one. When you got under one end, did the other end wedge the robot up so the wheels were no longer touching the ground? Also, were they that fast?
They had some kind of rubber tubing glued on the bottom to make an airtight seal, also on the outside they had an aluminum skirt with some strips of transparency sheet to fight off wedges. They had no problems with speed, because they were using brushless motors with very little gear reduction, which also meant they had a lot of problems with handling, but once they were lined up they hit the throttle and that thing flew, but in one match they lost all control with it on full throttle and it ended whizzing and spinning around the entire room at high speed( which somehow didn't get them DQed for safety reasons). When I finally had to face them I was very careful not to get in their line of attack, and getting them on my wedge was easy because by then they had smashed into so many other bots and walls that their skirt was not perfect anymore
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
topspin
Division: C
State: CA

Post by topspin »

Wow that vacuum idea sounds pretty cool. You give up a little control and speed for more power, which should be a pretty good trade off, especially for a team that is already flying around like crazy. Speaking of which, going really fast like that was actually an effective strategy at state. The second place team over here had a little "driver error" all over the gym floor, which let them build up to full speed and ram pretty hard. Teams like this, which apparently include the LASA, might have more trouble at nats.
But anyways, I'm wondering if a vacuum would do anything unless the two bots were in a pushing match. If a ramp gets under the LASA bot then the vacuum will just break, and if the opposite happenes then it probably wouldn't matter anyways.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

harryk: Was LASA the team that stored there sumo bot in pelican cases? Cause it seemed kind of small to have a vacuum in it.

btw: I was the team with the clear rc car based sumo bot.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

iwonder wrote:harryk: Was LASA the team that stored there sumo bot in pelican cases? Cause it seemed kind of small to have a vacuum in it.

btw: I was the team with the clear rc car based sumo bot.
I remember LASA having pelican cases but they never actually out their bot in it, I'm sure they had a turbine in it, they told others that, and I saw it when they were working on it
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

That's lasa for you... Seemingly unending money and time.
ichaelm
State: PA

Post by ichaelm »

Well, you can't really assume that; you never know what they made their vacuum out of. It may have just been as simple as a couple computer case fans, or even a unit from an old cordless vacuum, although I doubt the latter would be light enough. harryk, did you get a good look at the vacuum unit?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by iwonder »

Didn't think about a computer case fan... That sounds possible.
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

could you use a very powerful fan and just physically blow the other robot away?
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

I highly doubt you could blow them away. Especially the scoop designs, which are very aerodynamically efficient from the front. I would assume a small vacuum unit was used. Not a huge one, but one that is just strong enough

Return to “2011 Build Events”