Sumo Bots C

liger_98
Division: B
State: NY

Re: Sumo Bots C

Postby liger_98 » April 11th, 2011, 4:32 pm

for Vex robotics, wats the difference between motor 393 or some thing like that and motor 293?

sj
Division: C
State: NJ

Postby sj » April 11th, 2011, 5:25 pm

So what do people do with a wedge if there is a raised ring? If you go out it will be extremely difficult to get back in since the wedge won't be able to climb over anything. I guess you could back in, if you don't have a wedge on the back too, but that could take some extra time and expose you to the full force of your opponent on your most vulnerable end.

I also wonder what the magic test is for "sharp objects" (as in no sharp objects on the Sumo Bot), and if some very sharp wedges are going to be second tiered (or not allowed to compete at all for safety reasons). I saw one team questioned about the sharpness of their "wedge" at a state competition but a team member ran his finger across it and showed that it didn't cut his skin, so they were allowed to continue, but what exactly is the limit of sharpness that we cannot cross?

Finally, I heard that a bot caught fire at a state competition, what happens if your bot catches fire at the national competition due to a motor, esc, battery, overheating? If you have spares, or the burned device doesn't disable you bot would you be able to proceed? I can't see any rule violation, other then the obvious after the fact safety issue, but since there is no way to tell in advance if a bot will burn, even if it did once in the competition, I can't see how you could be taken out for a fire. Event coordinator, any thoughts on this?
This is just my opinion but for the fire issue i believe that if a bot catches fire.... then first of all the fire needs to be put out which in itself is not something that many event coordinators are prepared for. Just that could end the event if it is bad enough. Furthermore the supervisor could just deem the bot unsafe at that point.. i doubt anyone would argue at that point.

As for the sharp object rule i think the intent was to rule out anything dangerous. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it's seems to be okay to have an edge that is very sharp given that it is against the ground. Of course there are exceptions like if there was a sharp wedge on a car that would travel extremely fast and possibly his a spectator. However i don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with a sharp wedge given that it is not abused. In addition there is no real way to judge sharpness as the competitor may not try too hard to cut them-self, but any thing can cut someone even a "blunt" wedge given enough pressure. Also that should not be the way to judge wether something is too sharp or not. I too would be interested in hearing how this will be judged at nationals because it seems as if many of the competitive bots have sharp edges.
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle

Primate

Postby Primate » April 11th, 2011, 6:30 pm

old, if you've got something overheating, that's a serious design flaw and it's probably liable to happen again. With almost every cause--motor leads touching, esc not heatsinked properly, faulty battery--it's usually related to negligent safety precautions.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

whadk
State: IN

Postby whadk » April 11th, 2011, 6:32 pm

for Vex robotics, wats the difference between motor 393 or some thing like that and motor 293?
I believe that the motor 293 was the two wired motor,,,,
(it should be bigger than 393). If that was correct, motor 293 is stronger (significantly).
For a two-wired motor u don't just plug it into the control module, but u have to use something (wire,,,) that converts it into 3
RWARRRR :)

austinfhs
State: CA

Postby austinfhs » April 13th, 2011, 12:32 am

Here's the video with the fire ... it might be someone on the forum so I'm not taking credit for it! (It's not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia3lFxnl ... ideo_title

I can't believe that there weren't any penalties for it.

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Postby harryk » April 13th, 2011, 6:09 am

Here's the video with the fire ... it might be someone on the forum so I'm not taking credit for it! (It's not my video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia3lFxnl ... ideo_title

I can't believe that there weren't any penalties for it.
That wasn't as dramatic as I thought, it was only smoking near the end
Now yes that poses a danger but its not as dangerous as a bot exploding in flames
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

tjessberger
State: OH

Postby tjessberger » April 13th, 2011, 11:30 am

Soooo about the sharpness rule. My wedge is made of a 12'' x 12'' piece of sheet metal that has been bent. I duct taped the entire edge of the blade except the part that's touching the ground. Would that constitute a second tier? Will I have to duct tape the only metal part?

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: TX

Postby harryk » April 13th, 2011, 2:56 pm

Soooo about the sharpness rule. My wedge is made of a 12'' x 12'' piece of sheet metal that has been bent. I duct taped the entire edge of the blade except the part that's touching the ground. Would that constitute a second tier? Will I have to duct tape the only metal part?
You should be fine, I've seen plenty if bots with pieces a sheet metal sticking out
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

andrew_cockman
State: IN

Postby andrew_cockman » April 13th, 2011, 2:58 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of there robot arm. THAT DO NOT use vex kits
thanks

Primate

Postby Primate » April 13th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Does anyone have any pictures of there robot arm. THAT DO NOT use vex kits
thanks
Robot arm or sumobot? The image gallery is a good place to start.
events 2012 gravity vehicle, robot arm, thermodynamics, tps

Return to “2011 Build Events”