Sumo Bots C

whadk
Division: C
State: IN

Re: Sumo Bots C

Postby whadk » April 17th, 2011, 7:39 pm

hscmom wrote:
sj wrote:Well good luck!

In the end it all comes down to who is the better driver. It doesn't matter how much you can push if you can't drive under the other bot...

Then again, we were "driven under" and managed to push the other team out while on top of them yesterday at States. Wish we were going to Nationals but our team is just not there (it's our second year and we're young -- nobody has a driver's license yet!!). The girls built the bot in four weeks (our team's sumobot dude quit right after Regionals so we had to start from scratch) and I hate that it's not an event next year. Oh well, my daughter's 14 so she's got a few more years for it to cycle back around again. That was fun.

Well by being driven under the bot, usually you will lose if the other robot was designed to make u go on top of it so that u'll completely lose control of your robot.
Mostly, plated robots that get under your bot are wide enough to disable your robot's wheels where you try to back up but the robots are pushing forward as well.
The thing about these robots, once you fall inside the trap, it's really really hard to get out.
RWARRRR :)

sj
State: NJ

Postby sj » April 21st, 2011, 8:20 am

Has anyone had any success with covering wheels with tape?
If so what type of tape did you use and how did you prevent it from just sticking to the floor and peeling off the wheel?
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th
WWP SOUTH 3rd At NATS!!!!!

2012 Events: Robot Arm, Towers, Gravity Vehicle

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Postby Balsa Man » April 21st, 2011, 11:32 am

sj wrote:Has anyone had any success with covering wheels with tape?
If so what type of tape did you use and how did you prevent it from just sticking to the floor and peeling off the wheel?

Couple thoughts that might help you.
Double-sided tape is one option; either like double-sided scotch tape, or the double-sided (thin) foam tape is an option. Two problems-if it's sticky enough to really stick to your wheels- depending on what your wheels are made of, you may want to put/paint something around them that the tape sticks to well (maybe rubber cement?). Second problem is dirt pick-up/cleaning. We played with this some before going with moulding tires out of polyurethane rubber; good traction when fresh and clean. However, even on a reasonably cleaned floor, tape will quickly and very efficiently pick up dust/dirt, and the stickyness will go away fast. Cleaning (we used WD-40 to clean poly wheels) is a major problem with tape, because anything that's a good cleaner will pretty quickly remove the tape stickyness along with the dirt.
The bot that won State here used nice, wide black foam rubber (from an RC vehicle). Those provide decent traction, but not great. They'd put a number of wide rubber bands around those wheels; its a matter of finding the right size for your wheels. Rubber band rubber provides a very good coefficient of friction, and its cleanable between rounds. Definately worth checking out.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

sj

Postby sj » April 21st, 2011, 11:37 am

We tried balloons and rubber-bands but short of anything sticky the rubber on our wheels is better. As for tape we were planning on making it replaceable between rounds.
2011 Nationals Results : Sumo Bots 2nd, Helicopters 4rd, Mission Possible 4th, Towers, 9th

sj

Postby sj » April 26th, 2011, 3:18 pm

For the competition surface at nationals does anyone know if it is going to be for panels put together like last year or one solid piece of plywood?

chalker7
Division: Grad
State: CA

Postby chalker7 » April 26th, 2011, 7:11 pm

You should submit an official clarification.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters

Frogger4907
State: KS

Postby Frogger4907 » May 3rd, 2011, 5:06 pm

Why would they make an event that competitive teams are going to spend anywhere between 300-750 dollars on, and then get rid of it the next year?
What happened to common sense...
State: 1st overall Thermodynamics lab

sj

Postby sj » May 3rd, 2011, 5:09 pm

I agree. We have spent so much money on sumo bots that i'm quite upset that it will not be returning.

harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Postby harryk » May 3rd, 2011, 7:20 pm

Wait, where did you find this out? if it is I'm seriously gonna flip something that I'm not allowed to say on this forum
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time

robotman
Administrator
Administrator
State: TX

Postby robotman » May 3rd, 2011, 7:33 pm

This is the current list we have. it has Robot Arm replacing Sumo Bots

ichaelm
State: PA

Postby ichaelm » May 4th, 2011, 5:58 am

To be technical about it, Sumo Bots is in the scientific inquiry category. It would tentatively be replaced by Fermi, and Mission Possible in the tech category would be replaced by Robot Arm. There is certainly a lot of disagreement about whether Fermi should become an event again, just like there was disagreement about Sumo Bots last year. Sumo Bots may be replaced by Fermi, but it's definitely not impossible for them to keep it, based on the controversialness of Fermi. I guess we'll see...

Frogger4907

Postby Frogger4907 » May 4th, 2011, 8:03 am

I think both sumo and fermi should be events, mission should be out of the picture. and some sort of event with some action should be added, ie rockets, trajectory.

penclspinner

Postby penclspinner » May 4th, 2011, 9:32 am

ichaelm wrote:There is certainly a lot of disagreement about whether Fermi should become an event again, just like there was disagreement about Sumo Bots last year. Sumo Bots may be replaced by Fermi, but it's definitely not impossible for them to keep it, based on the controversialness of Fermi. I guess we'll see...

Haha, I guess we will find out in a few weeks to see what events stay. I don't think a few SO'ers complaining on a general forum constitutes as "controversialness" and I'm pretty sure that Fermi is not going to be switched out at the last minute.

Frogger4907

Postby Frogger4907 » May 4th, 2011, 10:22 am

penclspinner wrote:
ichaelm wrote:There is certainly a lot of disagreement about whether Fermi should become an event again, just like there was disagreement about Sumo Bots last year. Sumo Bots may be replaced by Fermi, but it's definitely not impossible for them to keep it, based on the controversialness of Fermi. I guess we'll see...

Haha, I guess we will find out in a few weeks to see what events stay. I don't think a few SO'ers complaining on a general forum constitutes as "controversialness" and I'm pretty sure that Fermi is not going to be switched out at the last minute.

very true...
I still really want an exciting event...

ichaelm
State: PA

Postby ichaelm » May 4th, 2011, 10:38 am

What I mean is that there are some people who will be making the decision who don't like fermi as an event. I do agree though that it's most likely sumo will be removed and fermi will come back. But note the question mark next to fermi in the summer schedule!

Return to “2011 Build Events”