MagLev Vehicle B/C

bchero
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MagLev Vehicle B/C

Post by bchero »

I'd suggest trying out your local Radioshack for the magnets. I managed to get a five pack for $2.99 haha.
chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Post by chalker »

As you may or may not know, we on the national rules committees at Science Olympiad begin work about this time every year on updating the rules for next year. We have a general policy of trying to make at least one significant change to each returning event (not all events return every year - they rotate in and out every so often), as well as trying to correct issues that required clarifications or FAQs.

The day after Nationals we (the national event supervisors, state directors, etc. etc.) always have a big meeting where we hash out issues face to face and try to come up with a near final version of the new rules. While many of us (myself included) are former competitors, in general we don't get direct input from current competitors during this process, although we do get some input from some coaches who happen to be involved at the national level.

Thus, as the Physical Sciences Committee chair, I've decided to try an experiment this year. MagLev is tentatively scheduled to return the following year (2012-2013 season), but will also continue to be a trial event in some states next year (2011-2012 season). What specific changes would you make to the rules? I'm open to all suggestions (small and large), but can't promise we'll actually implement any of them. Feel free to post ideas here or send me a PM if you'd like.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

Do you have any idea as to whether New York is likely to run it as a trial again next year? Also, as I suggested on the other thread, elaboration of the content of the test is really necessary. The specs on the Optics test this year are a model - the description was quite thorough, and gave students a clear understanding of what to prepare. The existing spec on the Magnetic Levitation trial rules states, in its entirety, "Basic information on physics of magnetism, common uses of magnets, medical uses of magnets, superconductors." Since the test is weighted at 50% of the event score, this is clearly inadequate. After all there are almost two full pages on the vehicle, which is only 25% of the event score. I also think that the weighting is a bit off - perhaps the vehicle could be 40%, prediction 15%, graphs 5%, test 40% or something like that.
personasaurus rex
Division: C

Post by personasaurus rex »

Also, can the size of the track be standard this time, and not just "somewhere in the ballpark of whatever width"? Most teams' problems were the tracks because the rules weren't specific enough. I know it's hard to all order the same type of track, but it would be really great if something was done about the ambiguity of the rules.
2012: Forensics, Dynamic Planet, Sounds of Music, Water Quality, Write It Do It
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Personasaurus Rex is right, there must be something about a exact track size. While our car always ran, it was built to run best on our school's track, which was ever so slightly different from all the competition tracks. We saw many cars get completely stuck, which gave any cars that did make it down the track an unfair advantage. Also, at regionals the track was really two shorter tracks taped together, and almost every car we saw got hindered by this track splice.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

That's not really a problem for the rules committee it is a problem of the manufacturer's. All of the major supply companies except Kelvin and Pitsco seem to be selling the same track, which comes in two sections and is supposed to meet Brookhaven specs, but is actually quite variable. Our district ordered three and they were all different widths, the narrowest about 1/16" shy of 2 9/16". Even if the rules committee made a tighter spec, I suspect that there would still be a lot of variation in the competition tracks, because that is the way they come. Honestly, though, principles are simple enough that accommodating the track is about the only challenging aspect of the build.
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

There should be a rule about he track being in one piece, at least. There was just no reason that the track was in two pieces.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

twototwenty wrote:There was just no reason that the track was in two pieces
Shipping/Transportation
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by twototwenty »

Still, they couldve done better than taping the tracks together.
Flavorflav

Post by Flavorflav »

twototwenty wrote:Still, they couldve done better than taping the tracks together.
Which regional was this? And are you sure that the track itself was taped together, or was it just the side rail?

Return to “2011 Build Events”