How did the event go at Nationals?
Faruh
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

Post by Faruh »

questionguy wrote:How did the event go at Nationals?
It was great! I used a vex robotic set and won first place haha. Ive been keeping up with this forum for the past few months in regards to this trial event and thought I might jump in. Our team came in 44th in Nationals (Fairfax High School, VA). I made some major mistakes like knocking down the northern jar but I managed to get all the rest of the objects in their place and ended with a score of 74. Usually I get higher in practice runs but the nervousness got to me. Cant wait till its an official event next year!

Faruh(Paruku) Paerhati

P.S. If you guys have any questions regarding the design and methods I used feel free to ask
austinfhs
State: CA

Post by austinfhs »

Haha this is pretty broad, but do you think you could post a drawing/picture of your setup? I'm guessing you had upwards of 3-5 motors? I wonder if anyone could pull of a design that could get max points with only one motor ...
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

Frankly, I doubt you get get any points with one motor.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by harryk »

Well in the Trial rules it states that that "wires" may run from the control box to the actual arm, it doesn't specifically say they have to be electrical wires, so theoretically you don't have to have any motors, at least in the current trial rules
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
austinfhs
State: CA

Post by austinfhs »

I met like ... Well the first tie breaker is the number of motors used, and I was just wondering if anyone had a plan for using one motor to get max points. I've been racking my brain, and I can't come up with anything, but I'm sure someone will!

@HarryK: How can you control this completely without electronics? I can see hydraulics working, but I don't think that you could handle the syringes that control everything by hand. And syringes aren't "wires" either.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

austinfhs wrote:I met like ... Well the first tie breaker is the number of motors used, and I was just wondering if anyone had a plan for using one motor to get max points. I've been racking my brain, and I can't come up with anything, but I'm sure someone will!

@HarryK: How can you control this completely without electronics? I can see hydraulics working, but I don't think that you could handle the syringes that control everything by hand. And syringes aren't "wires" either.
I was thinking more along the lines of bike cable
Colorado School of Mines
"Yes, he likes that; Alfie! Though personally he prefers to be called Stormaggedon, Dark Lord of All" - The Doctor, Closing Time
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

Regardless of whether bike cables are "wires", you would run into an issue with 2f. You would be using hand-controlled mechanical cables and human power is not one of the ways that robot motion is allowed to be powered.

You would have trouble with 4.c.vi. too, since mechanical motion is what is being transmitted down the "wires", you would be violating that.

Don't think that bike cables would fly.
harryk
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by harryk »

Dark Sabre wrote:Regardless of whether bike cables are "wires", you would run into an issue with 2f. You would be using hand-controlled mechanical cables and human power is not one of the ways that robot motion is allowed to be powered.

You would have trouble with 4.c.vi. too, since mechanical motion is what is being transmitted down the "wires", you would be violating that.

Don't think that bike cables would fly.
Ah, that would be true
I haven't thoroughly read the rules yet :lol: , I'm going to wait for the real rules :D
Colorado School of Mines
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Actually, you could get 15 points under the trial rules with no motors. Any inert object that fit in the robot square got the 15 points for not knocking down the scoring jugs under the trial rules. That WILL be changed for next year.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

Return to “2011 Build Events”