Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

jander14indoor
Has thanked: 0

Re: Robot Arm B/C [Trial]

Post by jander14indoor »

Agree that the rules changes are small enough that you can (and probably should) build and practice with your robot over the summer.

But (and this is important) check the final published rules EARLY in case one of those small changes turns out not to be small for YOUR design. This way you can react early.

I hate DQing students because a coach used 'draft' rules from a summer clinic or last years rules because the changes were 'small'.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
twototwenty
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by twototwenty »

Yeah, I plan to get the official 2011 2012 rules as soon as I can...Is there any other ways of getting the besides waiting until my coaches distribute them to my team?
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

twototwenty wrote:Yeah, I plan to get the official 2011 2012 rules as soon as I can...Is there any other ways of getting the besides waiting until my coaches distribute them to my team?

You can purchase them directly from the SO Store at soinc.org.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Ubermensch
Division: C
State: NY

Post by Ubermensch »

chalker wrote:
Ubermensch wrote:Are you allowed to use an adhesive to "grab" the objects, or must a physical grasping mechanism be used?
This is an interesting thought, however keep in mind that you need to also 'release' the objects. How would you go about doing that?
Theoretically I could have an adhesive pad with a small pushing implement in the center. At will, I could extend the pushing implement to remove the object from the adhesive pad.
questionguy
State: VA

Post by questionguy »

Last year's FIRST Robotics Competition involved building a robot that had a an arm. Would teams be able to take these apart and modify them for competition? I am just asking because many Robotics people who also do Science Olympiad might have the same idea.
chalker7
State: HI

Post by chalker7 »

questionguy wrote:Last year's FIRST Robotics Competition involved building a robot that had a an arm. Would teams be able to take these apart and modify them for competition? I am just asking because many Robotics people who also do Science Olympiad might have the same idea.
Possibly, what were the dimensions and requirements for the FIRST arm?
In general, kits and modified pre-built devices are generally legal, but only if they fit within the construction rules dictated by SO. Also, not being familiar with FIRST rules, I suspect (but could be wrong) that the playing field items are pretty different and you will likely want a different gripper/end effector.
National event supervisor - Wright Stuff, Helicopters
Hawaii State Director
blazer
State: MO

Post by blazer »

chalker7 wrote:
questionguy wrote:Last year's FIRST Robotics Competition involved building a robot that had a an arm. Would teams be able to take these apart and modify them for competition? I am just asking because many Robotics people who also do Science Olympiad might have the same idea.
Possibly, what were the dimensions and requirements for the FIRST arm?
In general, kits and modified pre-built devices are generally legal, but only if they fit within the construction rules dictated by SO. Also, not being familiar with FIRST rules, I suspect (but could be wrong) that the playing field items are pretty different and you will likely want a different gripper/end effector.
Chalker7 is correct. Last year's game was played on a 27' x 54' field with six robots the size of washing machines weighing in excess of 120 lbs. The game pieces(intertubes) were 25"-30" wide. Having said that, my FIRST team's arm began at 6' and extended to 9'. Both the arm and claw would have to be very different because of this huge difference in scale. Also, the claw mechanisms for picking up an intertube and a nail, for example, would have to be very different.
Regionals: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Thermodynamics, 1st Experimental Design, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Forestry, 4th Gravity Vehicle, 5th Optics
State: 1st Robot Arm, 1st Gravity Vehicle, 1st Optics, 1st Chem Lab, 2nd Experimental Design, 3rd Thermodynamics, 6th Forestry
Nationals: Tie for 1st Robot Arm

Return to “2011 Build Events”