Electric Wright Stuff B/C [Trial]

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Electric Wright Stuff B/C [Trial]

Post by Jim_R »

Discussion for Electric Wright Stuff, a Trial event in Illinois and possibly other states.
-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
jander14indoor

Re: Electric Wright Stuff B/C [Trial]

Post by jander14indoor »

Pointer to rules??

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
lllazar
Division: C
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by lllazar »

http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... acitor.pdf

Here you are sir, i'd appreciate any guidance you can provide on this event as me and my partner are pretty excited to do this at state.
2011 Season Events~

Fossils (Regionals ~1st) (State ~6th)
Towers (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd)
Helicopter (Regionals -3rd gahhh) (State ~5th)
Wind Power (Regionals ~1st) (State ~3rd TIERED!)

Hooray for getting everything i wanted?
illusionist
State: MI

Post by illusionist »

This looks really interesting, I wish we had it in our state. Jeff, do you know if we have it in Michigan?
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

Not currently, but we might consider it, especially if its on track to be a national event.

I will say I'm out of date in electronics. I saw the 10F capacitor and about fell out of my chair. In college physics low these many, many, many years ago the prof charged up a 1/4 F capacitor that was HUGE, and about killed himself when he accidentally discharged it. Gave me a healthy respect for capacitors. But when I looked it up, found 10 F capacitors rated 2-3 volts for a few bucks and they didn't looked real usable. Question, do those things self destruct if excess voltage applied to protect foolish users? How dangerous is a 6 volt, or 12 volt charge, say?

Other question, why pusher only?? Why dictate that design limit? I know most I've seen are pushers, but no sure why it needs to be in the rules?

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
calgoddard

Post by calgoddard »

Jeff:

Just a guess, but I am thinking the pusher rule is intended to reduce the risk that the delicate electric motor and/or its drive train are not damaged during a crash or when landing.
jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor »

That's called a learning experience, not needed in the rules.

Another followup question, have the authors of the event built any of these planes and what do you expect typical good flight times to be?

Thanks,

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
joester
Division: B
State: NY

Post by joester »

There is a local club here in upstate NY that has been doing planes similar to this for many years now. They also have R/C capacitor powered planes. A bit expensive, but VERY COOL.
If E-Wright ever comes to NY, we'll know where to go for advice!

jandor- read the rules link above. The authors provide the information you want towards the end.
wlsguy
Division: Grad
State: OH

Electric Wright Stuff = too expensive

Post by wlsguy »

Since this is being run at the Natl tournement and could become a real event, I decided to investigate the cost and feasibility.

It was advertised as an alternative to WS with a lower cost.
The costs for the components for 1 airplane for Electric WS (for C) would be:
Airframe= same cost as WS
Capaciter= $8 each http://www.nooelec.com/shop/index.php?m ... 2ufgvnfqk5
Gearbox = $13 each http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Motors
Motor= $4 each http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Motors
Propeller= $4 each http://www.microflight.com/Online-Catalog/Propellers
TOTAL = $29/ plane x 2 planes (minimum) per team

Since C division would be coming off of rubber band helicopters, most teams will already have the needed supplies (rubber, winder, torque meter) to move to some sort of rubber band Wright Stuff without the extra expense of paying $29 for each plane they want to fly.

I guess my opinion is that Electric WS is too expensive and does not have any advantages over regular WS.
It is not cheaper as advertised. If you agree, urge your State Directors to push for some sort of "regular" WS and save the teams some money.
Thank you
Littleboy
State: MI

Post by Littleboy »

Um… wright stuff can get really expensive too. And no C person would have a good sized rubber since heli requires thicker rubber. All they would have is wood and the winder/torch meter. Div B would have most/all of that stuff left from last year with wright stuff though…

Return to “2011 Build Events”