West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South
jjnv
Division: B
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Flying Bird B/C [Trial]

Post by jjnv »

Will the official rules be used to judge the demo event? It sounds like only flying time matters from reading the updates on the NSO website.

Do we need to sign up for this event or it is open all day.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

This website is an unofficial resource with no connection to Science Olympiad Inc, or the national tournament organizers. You must contact the National Tournament organizers for information concerning that tournament. Start by reviewing the Rules Clarifications and FAQson the official Science Olympiad Website. There may be additional information on the official National Tournament website.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
HappySciencePie
Division: C
State: NY

Post by HappySciencePie »

Does anybody know how to actually make it fly? I've been trying, but I don't know if I'm winding or letting it go right or anything.
Nationals 2011: Flying Bird; team (Gelinas) ~ 7th
Nationals 2010: Optics ~ 9th; team (Gelinas) ~ 3rd
MELLO YELLO
Ward Melville FTW <3
iYOA
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by iYOA »

How did you guys do? What were your opinions on how the event was run at nats?
We were kinda unlucky because while we were winding, the ornithopter broke. The assistants let us repair it. However, the rubber band got stuck by the time it was about 30 ft in the air-something that had never happened before. So our ornithopter fell down and snapped one of its wings. Our flight time was "only" 20.4 seconds because of this. Since the flight was over 15 seconds, we qualified for the finals in which we were told that they would take the second official flight. I spent most of the day in the McClain building repairing the ornithopter. When we went to the finals, only 5 teams showed up and our bird flew for 37.5 sec which was what we had expected. That was good enough to get second but it turned out that the judge had decided the flight times at the finals would not be official. Instead we got a $5 gift card to the union south LOL.

Since I never had time to use my gift card I am willing to sell it for $6 (includes shipping and handling) :P
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South

Return to “2011 Build Events”