Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by Kokonilly »

Really! Diet Coke is less dense than regular Coke? I must try this...
ribonucleicacid621

Post by ribonucleicacid621 »

Skink wrote:I don't think so...both are the same except for sugar vs. aspartame. Both solutes should be relatively nonacidic, so I'm guessing the only observable difference between them is the following, though I'm not sure if you could determine this based on what was given...
I think you would be able to determine this based on what was given. All you need are the beakers, water, and the soda cans..correct?
Valley Forge Invitational 2012:
1st Microbe Mission (with 50/94 lol), 3rd Dynamic Planet, 4th Chem Lab (sigh..)

Central MD Regionals 2012:
1st Forensics, 1st Dynamic Planet, 2nd Microbe Mission, 2nd Chem Lab, 2nd Anatomy
manutd94
State: PA

Post by manutd94 »

So, what is the topic for chem lab looking like for next year (2011-2012 season)?
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.
quizbowl
State: NY

Post by quizbowl »

manutd94 wrote:So, what is the topic for chem lab looking like for next year (2011-2012 season)?
I'm pretty sure, according to the wonderful chalker, that it is reduction/oxidation and periodicity.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Periodicity. Yay.

I should be better at this now that I've gone through AP Chem. At regionals, we accidentally found the electron potential by doing E(anode)-E(cathode) instead of the other way around. The rest of the test was easy, and that probably brought us down to 11th from a medal.

Oh well. Should be fun next year.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

Just a question: Did anyone do the nationals Chem Lab test? It seemed... easy. :?
Tidus
Division: C
State: IN

Post by Tidus »

I am sooooooo mad about this test. We literally finished the test before we began the second lab portion, because it was so short and easy. We checked our answers afterwards, probably 5 times, but we didn't see one little tiny mistake we made.
What did we end up with? 28th! With like a half point worth of mistake... This test was probably the second easiest test I had in this year.....
What did you guys think about it? Does anybody know how they broke the ties?
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

I'd guess that they graded the tests really harshly. You had to show every single step they were expecting to be written down, or else you would not get the points. I think we lost points on the density lab. It seemed so simple; I think we did not show enough work.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

Tidus wrote:I am sooooooo mad about this test. We literally finished the test before we began the second lab portion, because it was so short and easy. We checked our answers afterwards, probably 5 times, but we didn't see one little tiny mistake we made.
What did we end up with? 28th! With like a half point worth of mistake... This test was probably the second easiest test I had in this year.....
What did you guys think about it? Does anybody know how they broke the ties?
Yeah, we got 27th with a very good test. I can't specifically remember any tiebreakers, but I do remember going through the test and finding few, if any mistakes. The problem was that it was not only east but also very short; there must have been no stratification between "good" and "mediocre" whatsoever.
Paradox21 wrote:I'd guess that they graded the tests really harshly. You had to show every single step they were expecting to be written down, or else you would not get the points. I think we lost points on the density lab. It seemed so simple; I think we did not show enough work.
We might also have lost points because of your terrible handwriting. :P But really, how much work can you show for density? Mass, volume... divide. We even wrote the formula down. But I do think the test was too easy for nationals; they may have encountered the problem of one point being a five-place difference or something similar. Maybe they got a lot of people on adding acid to water or sig figs or some tiny detail.
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Kokonilly »

EDIT: This was a repeat... sorry.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”