Chem Lab C

2win
Division: C
State: TX
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Chem Lab C

Post by 2win »

Oh, do we have to know about autoionization too??
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
JMD
State: NY

Post by JMD »

quizbowl13 wrote:according to the ever sacred rules, it just seems that you must be proficient in Aqueous solutions and Redox. each accounts for 50% of the score.
also, students MUST wear long sleeve shirts
Was that always a rule in the past?
2win wrote:Oh, do we have to know about autoionization too??
Maybe for general chemistry, but I don't think it's necessary for the main two topics.
Events 2011: Chem Lab, Forensics, Optics, and Ecology.
crazy77

Post by crazy77 »

Two questions: 1. What would the actual lab portion of this event be like? What are the different things we might have to do? 2. From your prior experience at various competitions, is an AP level understanding of most of the subjects that may be covered adequate?
Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by Kokonilly »

I have a question about oxidation numbers. I know that they're assigned to different chemicals and ions and such, but how can you ever remember them? I tried to memorize them and I simply couldn't. Does anyone have a mnemonic device or something similar?

ALSO: Half-reactions. I don't understand them. Please help?
2win
State: TX

Post by 2win »

You don't have to remember all of them, mainly just oxygen's and hydrogen's. There's formula to figure them out... the only things you have to memorize are the rules (aka exceptions to the formula)...
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
lyly10388
Division: B
State: AK

Post by lyly10388 »

Jim_R wrote:Discussion for Chemistry Lab C

Chem Lab Wiki
2010 Lab Event Thread
Such a very amazing link!
Wongman
State: NY

Post by Wongman »

I've been out of Science Olympiad for a long time, but I would recommend pulling a book from the library (might have to use inter-library loan) called Quantitative Chemical Analysis by Harris, or a similarly leveled analytical chem book if you want to be really super in this event and to try to get into some of the subtleties.

Then again, back in the day, the topic was nuclear chemistry and just from reading the AP Chem text I had and the AP review book (probably not the best prep in hindsight), my partner and I were probably a calculator error away from medaling at NYS states.
It is perilous to study too deeply the arts of the enemy.
--------------------------
Now, for the highlights of Wong's failed yet ongoing SO Career (At NY State):

04' - 6th Fermi Questions-----03' - 2nd Wheeled Vehicle
03' - 7th Metric Estimation-----02' - 5th Balloon Race
03' - 3rd Bottle Rockets--------02' - 7th Metric Estimation
01' - 4th Balloon Race
binary010101
State: PA

Post by binary010101 »

Wongman wrote:I've been out of Science Olympiad for a long time, but I would recommend pulling a book from the library (might have to use inter-library loan) called Quantitative Chemical Analysis by Harris, or a similarly leveled analytical chem book if you want to be really super in this event and to try to get into some of the subtleties.

Then again, back in the day, the topic was nuclear chemistry and just from reading the AP Chem text I had and the AP review book (probably not the best prep in hindsight), my partner and I were probably a calculator error away from medaling at NYS states.
It also helps to use USNCO tests. The theoretical portions for these tend to be around an order of magnitude harder than the regional/state tests.
Last edited by binary010101 on December 1st, 2010, 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

binary010101 wrote:
Wongman wrote:I've been out of Science Olympiad for a long time, but I would recommend pulling a book from the library (might have to use inter-library loan) called Quantitative Chemical Analysis by Harris, or a similarly leveled analytical chem book if you want to be really super in this event and to try to get into some of the subtleties.

It also helps to use USNCO tests. The theoretical portions for these tend to be around an order of magnitude harder than the regional/state tests.
You can say that again, that thing was quite the doozey. Harder then the Nats test I would say
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Does anyone know what kind of Chemistry book would talk about Beer's Law? I have looked in 2 college level general chemistry books and neither mentions it.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”