Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by yogoperson » December 27th, 2010, 10:55 pm

quizbowl wrote:
yogoperson wrote:How do you guys find these articles on microbes? O.o
Cpeterson wrote:How in-depth do we have to go about each microbe? My mother is a microbiologist and is making me catalog the hemolysis and catalase results of every bacteria on my note sheet, as well as knowing about all the different types of staining, not just gram staining. Is this too much?
Ummmm, lets say...... that it's good for you, and she knows best? *looks up and studies*
It is always best to go above and beyond - you never know what a test might ask. Heck, just knowing a random fact about Chem was helpful for Fossils last year.
Seriously? Chem in Fossils? Wow, maybe I should study some stuff about other events IF I have time and see if it helps my events, especially Microbe.
Are you going to Scarborough Fair?
-----
Fossils
Entomology
Oh gawd what have I done to myself.

Bacteriophage
Division: B

Post by Bacteriophage » January 1st, 2011, 8:53 pm

im one of those people who has Disease Detectives AND Microbe Mission; I did DD last year so its a great help. Microscopes are a pain even though we did them in 7th grade (last year)... my cheat sheet is basically a review for everything on the rules page (diseases, cell biology, characteristics of microbes, etc.) and a huge catalog of microbe names n what they do (like yeast, yogurt bacteria and stuff but with scientific names)...
and seriously... catalyse and stuff? where have i been all this time... i gotta go study o.O

awsomtomato

Post by awsomtomato » January 2nd, 2011, 1:49 pm

Cpeterson wrote:How in-depth do we have to go about each microbe? My mother is a microbiologist and is making me catalog the hemolysis and catalase results of every bacteria on my note sheet, as well as knowing about all the different types of staining, not just gram staining. Is this too much?
You only need to know gram staining, but it's probably good to know the different types as well. About the hemolysis and catalase- those are a bit too in depth, i think because it doesn't say anything about it on the rulebook.
Tegaki anyone? #402-5161-7808
http://tmsg.pipa.jp/

Google is your best friend.

Ostonzi
State: MN

Post by Ostonzi » January 2nd, 2011, 3:09 pm

lol antibody staining for microbe mission. have you heard the guy who's making the exams for state in minnesota? he kept talking about "big picture" stuff. i doubt he'll have stuff like that on his exam LOL.

ophiophagus
State: MI

Post by ophiophagus » January 2nd, 2011, 3:45 pm

I added a little to the wiki, please correct any information that may be incorrect.

psychodragon_98
State: OH

Post by psychodragon_98 » January 5th, 2011, 11:49 am

im new to this subject. can somebody fill me in on what we have to do? i dont have any of the rulebooks and we dont have any cd's. :x
ImageImageImageImageImage
click the eggs/hatchlings so they grow!!!

New NIHF-STEM Middle School

ORNITHOLOGY
CRIME BUSTERS
MICROBE MISSION
BATTERY BUGGY

ophiophagus
State: MI

Post by ophiophagus » January 5th, 2011, 1:05 pm

psychodragon_98 wrote:im new to this subject. can somebody fill me in on what we have to do? i dont have any of the rulebooks and we dont have any cd's. :x
Your coach/person who registered your team should have the rulebooks. Check the wiki for a basic outline of the event (its not very in depth yet) and if you have specific questions ask them here. Also check the soinc website for some good links and to order a copy of the cd( the cd is in no way necessary for the event, but you can always purchase one).By the way, don't try and ask anyone here for a copy of the rules, as that is illegal!

awsomtomato

Post by awsomtomato » January 8th, 2011, 10:37 am

psychodragon_98 wrote:im new to this subject. can somebody fill me in on what we have to do? i dont have any of the rulebooks and we dont have any cd's. :x
http://soinc.org/microbe_mission_b <-- This will help. :D
Tegaki anyone? #402-5161-7808
http://tmsg.pipa.jp/

Google is your best friend.

J-Rocketman
State: PA

Post by J-Rocketman » January 10th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Microbe Mission is about microscopes, different pathogens, cells and their parts, and parts of various pathogens such as viruses, bacteria, fungi, protozoans etc.

Gillen
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by Gillen » January 10th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Has anyone had a lot of diseases on the tests so far? Ive taken two so far at invitationals, but they haven't had a ton. I'm thinking of putting diseases only on my sheet and memorizing the rest.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”