Microbe Mission B/C

tclme elmo
Division: B
State: HI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Post by tclme elmo » January 17th, 2011, 3:39 pm

Typo on training handout? : Eukaryotic cells are structurally and biochemically more complex than Eukaryotic cells
should it be Eukaryotic cells are structurally and biochemically more complex than prokaryotic cells
Rustin Invitational - 1st
Solon Invitational - 8th
Regionals - 1st
States - 1st
Nationals - 11th

awsomtomato
State: CA

Post by awsomtomato » January 17th, 2011, 5:50 pm

tclme elmo wrote:Typo on training handout? : Eukaryotic cells are structurally and biochemically more complex than Eukaryotic cells
should it be Eukaryotic cells are structurally and biochemically more complex than prokaryotic cells
Ohhh. Thats really helpful. :D
Tegaki anyone? #402-5161-7808
http://tmsg.pipa.jp/

Google is your best friend.

psychodragon_98
State: OH

Post by psychodragon_98 » January 17th, 2011, 5:54 pm

arent the prokaryotes multi-celled organisms like us and eukaryotes are single celled, like bacteria?
ImageImageImageImageImage
click the eggs/hatchlings so they grow!!!

New NIHF-STEM Middle School

ORNITHOLOGY
CRIME BUSTERS
MICROBE MISSION
BATTERY BUGGY

AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri » January 17th, 2011, 7:06 pm

Flipflop your definitions.

Prokaryotes are simpler cells that only have a cell membrane and maybe a cell wall, cytoplasm, ribosomes, and DNA floating around (they don't have nuclei). They are usually single-celled organisms like bacteria.

Eukaryotes are more complex cells that have nuclei and many different organelles. They are often part of larger organisms (plants, animals, fungi).
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!

Witchy
State: OH

Post by Witchy » January 18th, 2011, 9:53 am

AlphaTauri wrote:
psychodragon_98 wrote:arent the prokaryotes multi-celled organisms like us and eukaryotes are single celled, like bacteria?
Flipflop your definitions.

Prokaryotes are simpler cells that only have a cell membrane and maybe a cell wall, cytoplasm, ribosomes, and DNA floating around (they don't have nuclei). They are usually single-celled organisms like bacteria.

Eukaryotes are more complex cells that have nuclei and many different organelles. They are often part of larger organisms (plants, animals, fungi).
To clarify, eukaryotes are often, but not necessarily multi-cellular. Protozoa for example are single celled eukaryotes.

Question: Are Prokaryotic colonies (such as bacterial colonies) considered multi-cellular? I know that the individual bacteria are not, but if someone asked on a test, "Can prokaryotes be multi-cellular?", what would one say?
That weird chick with the raccoon hat!

ophiophagus
Division: C
State: MI

Post by ophiophagus » January 18th, 2011, 10:19 am

Witchy wrote: To clarify, eukaryotes are often, but not necessarily multi-cellular. Protozoa for example are single celled eukaryotes.

Question: Are Prokaryotic colonies (such as bacterial colonies) considered multi-cellular? I know that the individual bacteria are not, but if someone asked on a test, "Can prokaryotes be multi-cellular?", what would one say?
Bacterial colonies like Volvox are a popular topic of debate for scientists, as they have properties of uni and multicellular organisms, currently I believe scientist do NOT classify them as multicellular because a single bacteria can split off and live its own life or something like that. For the other question, I think (not sure on this) scientists believe that multi-cellular prokaryotes might exist but haven't been found yet or something.
My question: Does anyone have any tips for identifying microbes and/or what type of microscope was used from pictures?

ironchef48
State: IL

Post by ironchef48 » January 18th, 2011, 3:10 pm

My question: Does anyone have any tips for identifying microbes and/or what type of microscope was used from pictures?
What I've done is create flashcards of a bunch of each of the different types of microbes citing what it is and what microscope was used. Look for similarities between those take with similar microscopes- some you might find have grater color depth ( but be sure that they have not been enhanced)while others are very precise when it come to detail.

unfortunately i have not found a single source with many pictures of all of the microscopes under different scope, but i have found that universities and allied professional organizations are a good place to start.
I've been asking my self the same question-hope this helps!
4th in state- Disease Detectives- not bad considering we never placed before!

2010 events: Ecology, Disease Detectives, Microbe Mission, Helicopter

Throw one away- you will anyway

rkoopma2
State: MI

Post by rkoopma2 » January 18th, 2011, 5:09 pm

does anyone have any good microbe sites? Our couch for this event is being a but and has only told us to google a couple of things and given us one lame website.
Thanks!! :D
2012 state Events
Anatomy and Physiology: 6
Disease Detectives: 3
Microbe Mission: 21
Protein Modeling: 2

"As government expands, liberty contracts" - Ronald Reagan

fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian » January 19th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Last edited by fanjiatian on January 26th, 2011, 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fanjiatian

Post by fanjiatian » January 19th, 2011, 12:41 pm

Last edited by fanjiatian on January 26th, 2011, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”