Microbe Mission B/C

earthbot25
Division: Grad
State: PA

Re: Microbe Mission B/C

Postby earthbot25 » January 29th, 2011, 5:22 pm

just curious, we were given a bacterial cell diagram at an invitational competiton recently, and what I thought were cilia were pili, is there anyway that I should've known otherwise? there were already some motile structures on the diagram (aka flagellum)
I was once in the EXACT same position as you and I said they were cilia and was incredible angry when I saw that it was wrong! But the fact of the matter is (based on my bio textbook) that most prokaryotes (i would say all but there may be some weird exception) don't have cilia. They have pili/fimbrae which help in the genetic exchange of materials (they help the bacteria with reproduction). So if you see stuff that looks like hair on a prokaryotic cell then it's pili/fimbrae NOT cilia.
thanks! :) yeah I was kinda annoyed w/myself because as I was writing cilia, I was thinking "could these be pili? nahhh" haha
Harriton Class of 2014

Past Events: C: Materials Science, Chemistry Lab, TPS, Experimental Design, Mission Possible, Microbe Mission, WIDI, Helicopters. B: Bio-Process Lab, Towers, Microbe Mission, Robocross, Physical Science Lab

deezee
Division: C
State: IL

Postby deezee » February 2nd, 2011, 9:52 am

you have to know the microscopes and their functions too...
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

Starapollo1
State: IN

Postby Starapollo1 » February 2nd, 2011, 10:18 pm

you have to know the microscopes and their functions too...

Is this a question... lol I don't know whether you're stating this or asking this.... because we DO need to know microscopes and their functions... I think at least :)
2009: Protein Modeling (4th) overall 7th
2010: Cell Bio (11), Write it Do it (10), overall 5th
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

deezee
State: IL

Postby deezee » February 3rd, 2011, 11:03 am

sorry i was just stating it :oops:
What disease did cured ham actually have?
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea...Does that mean the fifth one enjoys it?
I used to be healthy, until I took an arrow to the knee and got gangrene.

Starapollo1

Postby Starapollo1 » February 4th, 2011, 11:06 am

sorry i was just stating it :oops:

Lol it's fine! :)
2011: Disease (4), Microbe (10), Protein Modeling (5), Sounds of Music (2), overall 1st, nats 21
2012: Disease (4), Forestry (5), Microbe (-), Protein Modeling (6), Sounds of Music (7), TPS (7) overall 4th

ophiophagus
State: MI

Postby ophiophagus » February 4th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Also make sure sure you can identify the type of microscope used when you see a picture of a microbe. There were questions like that on a test I took at invitationals. Be sure to pay attention to color (or lack thereof), scale and 3-d effect.

Starapollo1

Postby Starapollo1 » February 6th, 2011, 10:46 am

Oh yeah and don't forget to know the magnifications of each type of microscope!

FullMetalMaple
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: KS

Postby FullMetalMaple » February 6th, 2011, 3:13 pm

(Hello, I'm new to the forums. I hope I don't screw anything up. XD)

Has anyone else who has taken a test encountered sections on procedures? I've only taken one test so far (I've only been able to go to one invitational, bleh), and it had a HUGE section on a lab procedure for something. I don't even know what it was. I just remember that it said something about what iodine and crystal violet would be used for... It had questions on neither microscopes nor diseases we were apparently supposed to know (I don't think scarlet fever was on the list). Since I'm competing in this event at Regionals, which are coming up soon, I just wanted to prepare a bit more by asking around. Thanks! :3

sciencegirl23
State: NY

Postby sciencegirl23 » February 6th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Has anyone else who has taken a test encountered sections on procedures? I've only taken one test so far (I've only been able to go to one invitational, bleh), and it had a HUGE section on a lab procedure for something. I don't even know what it was. I just remember that it said something about what iodine and crystal violet would be used for... It had questions on neither microscopes nor diseases we were apparently supposed to know (I don't think scarlet fever was on the list). Since I'm competing in this event at Regionals, which are coming up soon, I just wanted to prepare a bit more by asking around. Thanks! :3
Well I've only taken one test, and lab procedures were not on it. They just gave us pictures and we had to identify the microbe, microscope math questions and the basic match the disease to the type of microbe that causes it.
2012 events~!

microbe mission, water quality, disease detectives, write it do it.

Kokonilly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Postby Kokonilly » February 6th, 2011, 3:52 pm

(Hello, I'm new to the forums. I hope I don't screw anything up. XD)

That would be Gram staining, and yes, I have seen the procedure for that asked on a test.

Return to “2011 Lab Events”